Under dash subwoofer

Started by mulaz, February 19, 2017, 16:10

mulaz

Today i have fitted a 250w active sub under the dash http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/beat-enhance-erhq8act-250w-active-sub
i used to have a Sony active sub box in one of my rear bins and loved it but it took up too much space but then Patrick showed me the In Phase USW10 300W active underseat subwoofer he had fitted under his dash.
not wanting to spend £100's i thought i would see if i could fit a cheaper  but larger sub under the dash too. managed to get a Beat Enhance EHRQ8ACT Compact Space Saving 250W Active Sub for £70 off fleabay.

It took a few hours of yoga while at the same time having to head scratch for some fixing points then make up some steel brackets to fix the sub in position .worth the effort as now it's totally hidden from view and the sound is amazing
Slowly replacing all the old parts for new parts so that one day i will end up with a brand new car !   s]

shnazzle

You know youre going to have to provide details of the brackets and where you anchored it to  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

onion86

Interesting... how much clearance is there either side? Mine is 340 x 225 mm so 75 - 90mm wider than yours depending on orientation. Based on the pic I'm going to assume there's no chance, but you never know  s:D :D s:D
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

mulaz

Mine is WxHxD 250mm x 265mm x 118mm and i just managed to get it in.
Slowly replacing all the old parts for new parts so that one day i will end up with a brand new car !   s]

mulaz

Mine is WxHxD 250mm x 265mm x 118mm and i just managed to get it in.
The sub comes with two fixing brackets  and these i used. i then placed the speaker under the dash after first removing the lower trim panel . i then found the one and only place it will go .. see picture, then looked around for any fixings
i then used some steel flat bar i had lying around from some old shelves 20mm x 3mm to make up 2 brackets to hang the sub,  but found the speaker could wobble
after more head scratching i decided to make up one more bracket with foam on to clamp the speaker

will try to get some better pics later in the week

Topdownman

Quote from: "shnazzle"You know youre going to have to provide details of the brackets and where you anchored it to  s:) :) s:)

I have a kenwood one that is on my to do list so interested to hear how you have mounted yours as they are quite heavy.

I have been wondering about taking out the drivers seat, top down and lying on my back with legs over the back for fitting access!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

vx220

Thanks for inspiration, managed to get TWO Kenwood Ksc-sw11 active subs under there after seeing this thread.

I may now think about gynaecology as a career!

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: "vx220"Thanks for inspiration, managed to get TWO Kenwood Ksc-sw11 active subs under there after seeing this thread.

Just remember gynaecologists are only one slip of the finger away from proctologists   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

vx220

It was a pain in the arse, now you mention it

Topdownman

Quote from: "vx220"Thanks for inspiration, managed to get TWO Kenwood Ksc-sw11 active subs under there after seeing this thread.

I would be interested to see a picture of that as it should mean I will get my single one in easily.

Just for clarification, I meant a picture of the subs....
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

vx220

Unfortunately, my phone struggles with the combination of light and distance!

Once you get the trim panel off that faces your shins as you sit in the drivers seat it should be easy to see where it will go. Take the seat out, lay on your back with feet in the air (easier with roof off and best done out of view of the neighbours) and you'll see several spots you can screw brackets to. I've tried to make sure I have brackets supporting the weight directly, but also to prevent side to side and back to front motion. I use builders banding, strong under tension and easy to bend. Put a curve on your bends and remember, triangles are your friends!

I'll try again tomorrow for pics

mulaz

Tried to take some other pics of my sub as mounted but didn't get any worth publishing and just for the record i fitted mine without removing the seat!! i am now a yoga expert
best bet is physically place your sub in a position under the dash out of harms way of the pedals and then make some fixings from flat steel bar that will hook up to some mounting bolts.
a lot of it will be guess work and you may need to twist some bars so a vice will help
i have to say it was a pain but worth it for freeing up the rear storage bins and far better sound  s:) :) s:)

vx220

Quote from: "Topdownman"

I would be interested to see a picture of that as it should mean I will get my single one in easily.

Guys, an apology. They DO fit, but I have had to trim my shin panel and relocate the OBD port! Think I rushed to post yesterday...

Single one WILL fit without trimming the shin panel

Tags: