Tiny Dash Cam

Started by gazza1286, February 25, 2017, 17:29

gazza1286

Just fitted this from ebay:-

m https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HD-LCD-3 ... 0890.m2460 m

I wasn't expecting the highest quality but I'm really pleased. The camera is sooo small and the cabling  tucked nicely away under the hood seal. Wiring was relatively simple - only three joins. Live - earth and ACC. The glove box was already on ACC using a piggyback fuse so I just looped into that. There's a permanent live in the passenger footwell so I borrowed some of that using an in-line fuse.

The lack of clear English instructions didn't present a problem as the setup for date/time etc. was rather intuitive once I found the language menu. The unit doesn't come with a screen but has an AV cable as part of the loom so I just attached it to the portable TV temporarily  for the setup.

It uses avi files on a Micro SD card. The slot  is very accessible and playback on my Android handset with the aid of an OTG cable is straightforward.

This is the unit in situ. The rear view mirror has been bent to one side for clarity. From the driver's view it is totally hidden by the mirror.  

Very happy with the unit which is so discrete.

phaeton

Like the idea of no screen more discrete, as they are wired via ACC do they just record as soon as you switch on & then loop? If so might invest in a couple one for each direction.

shnazzle

These were wildly popular for a good while and were always rated well.
I've always preferred small and hidden over a screen. I love my mobius.. Even though i need to replace it after 3 years as it's gone fuzzy  s:( :( s:(
...neutiquam erro.

gazza1286

The recording begins automatically on startup. 3 minute slots which automatically overwrite when the micro SD card is full.
It's just a case of connecting the portable tv as and when the battery is disconnected to reset the internal clock.

Joesson

I have a similar camera but it came  with a separate base unit. I bought an extra base and can swop the camera between my daily and my 2.

gazza1286

This setup has limitations due to there being no screen. For altering the settings and changing the clock etc. you need to plug in a computer monitor to accept the yellow rca video feed.
I've since discovered this:-

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132113650291 m

Which means that full functionality is available from my Android phone. It hasn't arrived yet but it should work without any problem.

Edit:-

The Easycap adapter arrived and works great. There's a free app on the Android play store which provides plugnplay accessibility when used with a OTG lead. Re-setting the date and time is now straight forward.

Tags: