faulty alarm sensor?

Started by Batman, March 15, 2017, 18:30

Batman

hi all! got a 2001 model, every time I lock it I wait a minute and the alarm goes off.
I'm well aware of the 3 key clicks thing, but its annoying having to do that every time I lock the car.
I have tried the door, frunk and engine bay switches, bent em up etc. but my thinking is if the triple lock
is working then the fault lies with the sensor and not the door buttons, engine bay or frunk.
I found the sensor behind the drivers seat, turned down the sensitivity to minimum... still the same problem.
so the questions are: is the sensor faulty/bust? can I remove this sensor all together and still keep central locking?
does this sensor need programming or can I easily swap in a second hand one?
I just don't want to unplug it to discover I cant start the car or need to re program something.
any hind sight on this would be much appreciated.

beavisrules

The immobiliser is a separate system than the central locking/alarm.
In theory you can remove all the alarm without effecting the car start and running.
Think the alarm boxes being small enough to post cheap just ask and of the people who brake them for spares to swap over.

carolineasb

Three clicks are for when the roof is down. Do you mean you are doing this with the roof up? May have nothing to do with your problem mind you  s:( :( s:(
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

Batman

Thanks for info. Roof is up and its still going off. My understanding is that the sensor takes a few seconds to arm, so i lock car 1 press, wait and it goes of 20-30 seconds later. So im having to do the 3 press thing. Even when the three press is done on the key the door bonnet and engine bay switches could still activate the alarm, as the 3 press disarms only the sensor i believe (and deadlocks). So if the alarm is staying off on 3 presses but not 1 press or 2 that suggests to me the sensor is shot. (note my batterys are fine fob and car) well since my last post ive fetched a sensor from the scrappy so first chance i get im gonna try swapping it, tho i dont know if this one works either!  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Batman

Well, swapped the alarm microwave sensor yesterday for the one i got from the scrappy... Problem solved!! Though its easy to get at, the wire connector is behind the centre arm rest so that also has to come out, took this as opertunity to adjust the handbrake as well. Job done. I also cleared the roof gutters as i think maybe some water has leaked down and some how got to the sensor maybe. Couldnt see any evidence why the unit failed just a guess.

Tags: