Which speakers?

Started by smarty72, May 1, 2017, 10:21

smarty72

I've just installed a pre-owned Kenwood DPX 406DAB head unit and want to upgrade the speakers.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I don't want to install an amp or sub, just want to refresh and upgrade the existing speakers.  

I'm not up to speed on all the specs regarding output and ohms etc, just want to make sure the speakers will work well with the head unit.

Any advice would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers.
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

Topdownman

I upgraded my speakers to the Focal components that everyone was recommending (to go with a cheap Pioneer single din head unit). I sound deadened the door and door trim with flashing tape.

I was always disappointed by the sound though. I recently fitted a powered under dash sub and that has transformed the sound. The Focals just couldnt handle bass leading to a weak and anaemic sound but with that going to the sub, the sound is very good at last.

You still cant hear it above motorway speeds though!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

shnazzle

As Simon says, the addition of a woofer and low pass filter (even using head unit) really transforms the sound.

Just to give an indication; we have 2 mr2s at home. Both with the same head unit (Helen's is the newer revision but same thing), both stock speakers, but mine has the InPhase USW-10 under the steering wheel. The sound difference is absolutely night and day.
I can put mine up high without distortion.
I still think the stock speakers do absolutely fine for the size of the interior, if you unload the low tones from them with a woofer.

Sound deadening the doors helped as well.

Obviously... Better door speakers will help. But if you're going down that route, get an amp as well or might as well stick with stock speakers
...neutiquam erro.

smarty72

Thanks for the replies, interesting.

It was my intention to sound deaden the doors but hadn't considered (or wanted) to fit a sub as didn't want to lose any space in the car.  I've had a quick look and it doesn't seem the easiest of tasks though...

Like I said, I'm not very knowledgable with this stuff.  Would the USW-10 be all that I would need then, does it simply 'plug and play' into the head unit or would I need anything else?

Thanks again for the advice.

JoeCool

Personally I'd avoid focals - they have a harsh 'bright' sound because of their tweeter design and it gets wearing over time, especially in cars like the MR2 where you have to crank the volume to combat road noise.

I'd always get pioneer speakers on a budget. Really nice kit, well balanced sound and we'll made. Definitely also sound deaden the door skins, makes a huge difference.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

smarty72

Definitely will sound deaden the doors.  Might postpone speakers if going down a powered sub route.

Topdownman

Going for pioneer speakers instead of Focals may be a good idea given my experience before the powered sub went in, I have used them before and been happy with them.

Like you, I didnt want to lose any storage space so under dash was the only option I considered.

I went for a kenwood sub which only just fitted in the way I mounted mine. The wiring was very straightforward, 2 phono plugs into the head unit, an earth, a lead to the battery terminal (easy for me as my battery is in the front) and a switched power connection that plugged straight into the head unit harness.

The main issue is constructing something to mount the unit. You need to try to stop any vibrations too.

With hindsight I would go for the smallest powered sub you can get as it makes it easier to position and you will get most of the benefit of sending the low frequencies to the sub.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

wotugonado

Spend the extra and get these JL TR650 2 Way Component Speakers, won't break the bank at 80 squid and are fantastic. Also OEM fit so no butchery to get them in the door cards.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

smarty72

Quote from: "Topdownman"Going for pioneer speakers instead of Focals may be a good idea given my experience before the powered sub went in, I have used them before and been happy with them.

Like you, I didnt want to lose any storage space so under dash was the only option I considered.

I went for a kenwood sub which only just fitted in the way I mounted mine. The wiring was very straightforward, 2 phono plugs into the head unit, an earth, a lead to the battery terminal (easy for me as my battery is in the front) and a switched power connection that plugged straight into the head unit harness.

The main issue is constructing something to mount the unit. You need to try to stop any vibrations too.

With hindsight I would go for the smallest powered sub you can get as it makes it easier to position and you will get most of the benefit of sending the low frequencies to the sub.

Thank you.

I was thinking that I would get smallest sub to make fitting easier, I'm not looking for anything astounding, just a significant improvement as the stock sound isn't that great.

Will look into subs, sound deaden the doors and then consider whether new speakers are required.

beavisrules

Almost anything new will be better than aged stock.
I'd fit  new main door speakers, leaving the stock tweeter , for the best time/money improvement.
I'm using JVC bought from local car parts, anything jvc,sony,pioneer,jl,focal et.al  will be fine.

MR TWO

I have Voce, standard sizes so as not to have to cut larger holes, and they sound pretty good. Listen to them at Ding Day if you can wait to buy yours!
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

smarty72

Quote from: "MR TWO"I have Voce, standard sizes so as not to have to cut larger holes, and they sound pretty good. Listen to them at Ding Day if you can wait to buy yours!

That would be great - only I can't get to Ding Day as committed with work [emoji35]

MR TWO

Quote from: "smarty2072"
Quote from: "MR TWO"I have Voce, standard sizes so as not to have to cut larger holes, and they sound pretty good. Listen to them at Ding Day if you can wait to buy yours!

That would be great - only I can't get to Ding Day as committed with work [emoji35]

A great sadness... Then again you might not have shared my musical taste!
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

BahnStormer

I've always been a fan of the Pioneer component speakers for a massive upgrade over OEM speakers without breaking the bank.

I'd definitely consider putting them in my MR2 (when I eventually buy it / pick it up  s:) :) s:)  )....

Main reason for choosing them is a really smooth, effortless sound, good separation, tweeters not too harsh and probably mostly due to the low frequency response relative to any other components.... I think higher spec speakers and they expect you to have a sub, lower spec and they expect you to just suck it up, so these are just perfectly in the middle...

I'm guessing that the door cards take 17cm components (with tweeters at the top of the doors?) or was that an aftermarket mod I saw?

With that in mind, has anybody tried the "Pioneer TS-A173Ci" or similar? £80 @  m http://caraudiosecurity.com/ts-a173ci-1 ... akers-350w m
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

BahnStormer

or how about the TS-Q171C, where the tweeters might fit next to the mirrors better?
(this appears to be the one that can be fitted without spacers)
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

BahnStormer

if you can get through the German, this site seems to have a good product selector: here's a shortcut to the MR2 compatible components http://www.carmedio.de, then (and I DO feel bad saying this when they've built such a good tool).... search for those products elsewhere ~30-45% cheaper!

Tags: