CD-RW's won't play on stock head unit

Started by swandez, June 7, 2017, 16:08

swandez

Spent about 4 hours burning some mp3 files onto CD-RW's last night, this morning popped in the car, put the shades on & popped the CD's in the head unit and nothing !!!

CD's were burned in iTunes on an iMac, anyone know if I've done something wrong? I think the write settings were all at default?

Thanks

Paul

Topdownman

I am no expert but I am sure that I have found in the past that old head units only play original cds.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

The Other Stu

CD-RWs are notoriously naughty on what they play on. There were about 4 different types.
Back in the day, I was in PC Support when they first came out. Many drives just wouldn't recognise them, and they're designed for data rather than music.
I would have recorded to CD-Rs. Most things will accept those.

Also, does the head unit support MP3 format? I'd be surprised if it did. I know my 56 plate Vectra did, but the previous car, a Peugeot on a 54 plate didn't. My 2000 model Rover certainly didn't (although it recognised CD-Rs, which my previous car didn't)
No Longer Here

swandez

Quote from: "The Other Stu"CD-RWs are notoriously naughty on what they play on. There were about 4 different types.
Back in the day, I was in PC Support when they first came out. Many drives just wouldn't recognise them, and they're designed for data rather than music.
I would have recorded to CD-Rs. Most things will accept those.

Also, does the head unit support MP3 format? I'd be surprised if it did. I know my 56 plate Vectra did, but the previous car, a Peugeot on a 54 plate didn't. My 2000 model Rover certainly didn't (although it recognised CD-Rs, which my previous car didn't)

Yeah your probably right, trying it again now at a slower write speed so will confirm in the morning, otherwise ill be ordering some CD-R's.....

Treboeth

All it says in the handbook is ,cdr/cdrw/cdrom may not play in the CD player, unfortunately it does not mention specific formats.

SteveJ

It won't play MP3 files directly - you need to convert back to an audio CD which then limits you to ~74 mins of playback.

2 of the left

Support for mp3 is finishing in the next few months - Being overtaken by AAC - Technology Advance- So by the end of the year - Your onboard unit may or may not, play this new format !! - Check your Audio manual - If your audio set up accepts USB memory sticks with mp3, then you are good to go. If not, using discs then use CD +/-  then full Audio format, as previously advised will be your option   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Markb

It only plays original cds or cdr audio copies ...mp3 won't play.

2 of the left

Another option is to buy a new head unit that incorporates usb memory sticks and Bluetooth - That way you can play music (mp3) from stick or your Smart phone!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Tags: