radio fitting problem

Started by davew, June 10, 2017, 20:57

davew

after searching for the correct brackets to fit a radio to my FL car i had to pay the dealers the extortionate price of £30 for two bits of tin plate, anyway got them attached to my radio but something is not right the unit sticks out way to far.
i've checked they are the right brackets ,they can only go one way, they are sided and the holes for the bracket only match up in the position that they are in now, anyone know what the problem is, i've seen this exact radio on pics on the net fitted to a mr2 and it doesn't stick out like this.

delhusband

Hi DaveW, Maybe holes/dims on your aftermarket unit not same as factory head unit?

Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Its almost like the deepest part of your head unit is at the top half, whilst the deepest part of factory unit is bottom half
Top half of factory unit is 100mm deep, top half height is 45mm.  Bottom half is 155mm deep and 50mm high
Hate pointy animals

davew

thanks for the pics helps me get my head around what going on ,it does look like the brackets on mine are sat to far back, the only way i think i can sort it would be to re drill the brackets which would be a pain to get right.
strange that i've seen pictures of the same radio fitted and it doesn't stick out.

delhusband

No worries, just removed unit last week so easy to get pics. Maybe the brackets you got are only good for factory fit head, and other brackets are available? Hate to think you'd need to attack with a drill.
Hate pointy animals

SteveJ

Quote from: "davew"thanks for the pics helps me get my head around what going on ,it does look like the brackets on mine are sat to far back, the only way i think i can sort it would be to re drill the brackets which would be a pain to get right.
strange that i've seen pictures of the same radio fitted and it doesn't stick out.
The one you've seen previously was probably replacing the PFL Sony which came with a completely different bracket. Unfortunately that bracket is NOT available from Mr T - it appears to be a bespoke one supplied by Sony just for this particular application.

davew

Quote from: "SteveJ"
Quote from: "davew"thanks for the pics helps me get my head around what going on ,it does look like the brackets on mine are sat to far back, the only way i think i can sort it would be to re drill the brackets which would be a pain to get right.
The one you've seen previously was probably replacing the PFL Sony which came with a completely different bracket. Unfortunately that bracket is NOT available from Mr T - it appears to be a bespoke one supplied by Sony just for this particular application.

i've never had so much trouble trying to fit a car radio, looks like re drilling the brackets is my only solution then.

delhusband

Dave, try this thread
 l viewtopic.phpf=47&t=17670 l
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "davew"after searching for the correct brackets to fit a radio to my FL car i had to pay the dealers the extortionate price of £30 for two bits of tin plate, anyway got them attached to my radio but something is not right the unit sticks out way to far.
i've checked they are the right brackets ,they can only go one way, they are sided and the holes for the bracket only match up in the position that they are in now, anyone know what the problem is, i've seen this exact radio on pics on the net fitted to a mr2 and it doesn't stick out like this.

Will the hole under the "8" in the serial number not move forward to meet the hole in the unit? Maybe save you some drilling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

delhusband

Hate pointy animals

shnazzle

Sorry this took me a while to notice. I have installed that head unit (Sony) in two cars and it has been fine.
However... I do remember on Helen's having to use different holes because of this exact issue.
If you have the time, I can see if I can get home a bit earlier today and take a picture of where I fastened the brackets.
...neutiquam erro.

davew

Quote from: "shnazzle"Sorry this took me a while to notice. I have installed that head unit (Sony) in two cars and it has been fine.
However... I do remember on Helen's having to use different holes because of this exact issue.
If you have the time, I can see if I can get home a bit earlier today and take a picture of where I fastened the brackets.

that would be great thanks, one on the reasons i picked this head unit was because i had seen a couple of picture of it fitted so i thought it would be a straight forward buy the brackets and job done.

shnazzle

Apologies for the delay.

It looks dodgy and yes it's a bodge but hey.. It works.
See
 m https://youtu.be/MYDzhL_Tyuc m
...neutiquam erro.

davew

and bingo it's in, thanks for your help the pictures were just the job otherwise i would have been drilling holes all over the place  s:) :) s:)

shnazzle

Glad it worked out. Maybe it's a Sony thing. Newer ones anyway.
I have the same unit but one model older and the holes lined up fine
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: