OEM Sat Nav Antenna Location

Started by Mark Twain, June 11, 2017, 22:04

Mark Twain

Hi all,

I have recently removed the non-OEM double-DIN head unit from my car and have installed a Pioneer CarPlay unit. I don't wish to install the GPS antenna atop the dash and figure if the OEM antenna location works OK, then I will install the Pioneer one in the same place. Does anyone know where the OEM sat nav antenna is located?

TIA,

Mark

shnazzle

Nowhere  s:) :) s:)  Sat nav was never an option. I could be wrong but I think someone has placed it in the cubby hole on the dash and it worked. Could try placing in there temporarily to confirm it works
...neutiquam erro.

s12vea

A very basic turn by turn maps option was an option. You wouldn't call it satnav compared to today's options. It was terrible. It used the standard facelift head unit.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

shnazzle

You're kidding!
So where was the GPS module?
...neutiquam erro.

The Other Stu

On mine, I ran the cable through the back of the glovebox and popped it out through the front bulkead.
I don't have it any more, but it was on the left just tucked underneath the frunk lid, in front of the left wiper.

Probably easier with a picture...
No Longer Here

lamcote

If you take the glove box out (it just pulls down and clips out) and look up into the gap there is a metal bar just under the plastic of the dashboard. I have stuck my magnetic sat navigation receiver on top of the bar so it is completely out of sight and it works perfectly, the signal just goes straight through the plastic dashboard. Couldn't be easier.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

s12vea

Quote from: "shnazzle"You're kidding!

I've no idea. You can images of it in the facelift brochure I think
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Call the midlife!

Page 125 of my handbook quotes TRIP/NAVI button for vehicles equipped with the Toyota Navigation System. (Dealer Option).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

onion86

Quote from: "s12vea"
Quote from: "shnazzle"You're kidding!

I've no idea. You can images of it in the facelift brochure I think
Think this is the best of the headunit, can't see the module in the pics anywhere. It does look bad (and tiny)...
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

beavisrules

My guess would be it's a dumb head unit with a intelligent box that controls it , which was to be stuck in (under?) the rear bins.
I'd place a big bet that its the same unit used in all other toyota sat-nav enabled cars of the time.
probably one of these was just stuck in by the dealer.  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-TOYOTA-C ... Swh2xYBP-g m

Mark Twain

Quote from: "lamcote"If you take the glove box out (it just pulls down and clips out) and look up into the gap there is a metal bar just under the plastic of the dashboard. I have stuck my magnetic sat navigation receiver on top of the bar so it is completely out of sight and it works perfectly, the signal just goes straight through the plastic dashboard. Couldn't be easier.

Thanks; that sounds like a plan!

Mark Twain

Antenna installed.

I was planning to install where Lamcote suggested and then noticed a nice flat area on the heater unit - this area accommodates the metallic reflector pad beneath the antenna too. The area is located beneath the plastic dash and thus far the signal reception is great.

Whilst sticking anything on a 'heater' is generally to be avoided, given that the antenna is designed to sit in an exposed area on the dashboard - at the mercy of sunlight - my guess is mine will be fine.

Tags: