Battery relocation - what do I need?

Started by m1tch, August 8, 2017, 18:43

m1tch

Hi all,

I want to move the battery to the front for better weight distribution and space around the engine, I will be looking to fit a smaller battery at some point but will be starting with just relocating the battery initially.

Am I correct to say that all I need is:

OEM earth cable - simply use the negative cable and earth to chassis in the front
Longer 0 wire gauge positive wire - Do I just need to crimp on the longer positive wire from the front to the OEM positive wire in the rear?
Mounting bracket for battery - can I reuse the OEM tray?

Essex2Visuvesi

When I looked into relocating my battery I cam up with this as a solution for extending the +VE lead
http://www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/battery-isolation-switch.html

paulj

Having the battery properly fixed is an MOT check point, so make sure you do a good job on the new home for it!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

m1tch

Quote from: "paulj"Having the battery properly fixed is an MOT check point, so make sure you do a good job on the new home for it!

I think I might look to secure it to the cross member in the frunk, might look to get a fully enclosed battery box rather than reusing the stock one, although I do have a nutsert tool so could add in some threaded holes into the bulkhead.

Might also look at those electrical isolator switches as well as the positive cable would already be fused as OEM.

keljon

i plan to do mine at some point and will run and inline circuit breaker, dont like the thought of a long live cable with no breaker
mr2 2zz with T-Sport gearbox and 8200rpm Celica ECU, DIY lightweight exhaust, K&N Typhoon induction, MiesterR coilovers, Rear Strut Brace, Underbody brace, EBC Yellow stuff and braided hoses all round, Rota slipstream 16x7 6kg a corner, Lightweight optima battery, spare wheel, tools, radio & aerial removal. Wifi ODB2 reader with dash command app for iPhone

m1tch

Quote from: "keljon"i plan to do mine at some point and will run and inline circuit breaker, dont like the thought of a long live cable with no breaker

Nothing is really that far away in the MR2 though  s:P :P s:P  but yeah I might look at some of the subwoofer power fuses to run inline as most of the good subwoofer kits use 0 Gauge wire from the battery usually at the front to the rear. Will also look at some of the kit car battery boxes as they usually have universal mounts etc.

Looks like I will need:

0 Gauge wire for the positive feed
Inline fuse/breaker
Battery box with bracket
Connection to chassis for the negative terminal somewhere in the frunk

Essex2Visuvesi

The fuse/breaker needs to be a close to the battery as possible to be properly effective. I'm guessing I'm teaching you to suck eggs tho

m1tch

Quote from: "Essex2Visuvesi"The fuse/breaker needs to be a close to the battery as possible to be properly effective. I'm guessing I'm teaching you to suck eggs though

First time relocation the battery in a car so any advice is helpful  s:) :) s:)  the project car is also a way for me to learn about as many aspects as possible so open to any useful advice like that  s:) :) s:)

keljon

let us know what you buy and where from, may just order the same, i have an odyssey battery ready to fit as well saving about 7kg
mr2 2zz with T-Sport gearbox and 8200rpm Celica ECU, DIY lightweight exhaust, K&N Typhoon induction, MiesterR coilovers, Rear Strut Brace, Underbody brace, EBC Yellow stuff and braided hoses all round, Rota slipstream 16x7 6kg a corner, Lightweight optima battery, spare wheel, tools, radio & aerial removal. Wifi ODB2 reader with dash command app for iPhone

Essex2Visuvesi

This looks like it might be a suitable tray
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232396950860 m

m1tch

Quote from: "Essex2Visuvesi"This looks like it might be a suitable tray
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232396950860 m

Thanks for that, I saw something similar in an online rally shop, they also did smaller ones for the race batteries as well as some plastic encased ones as well.

Tags: