Changing H7 bulb

Started by lamcote, April 26, 2018, 16:04

lamcote

Hi, please can I have more help?

To change the H7 bulb that's retained by a spring clip, do you need to remove the screw that holds the spring clip at one end or do you just bend the spring clip to remove it?

Thanks again.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

delhusband

Quote from: lamcote on April 26, 2018, 16:04
Hi, please can I have more help?

To change the H7 bulb that's retained by a spring clip, do you need to remove the screw that holds the spring clip at one end or do you just bend the spring clip to remove it?

Thanks again.
Hi, i managed to change dipped and full beam bulbs just by undoing the clips - no screws to remove. It is fiddly though, was cursing!
Hate pointy animals

SombreroPeak

Definitely not designed for ease of use. I did all of my front bulbs in one go when I removed the front bumper as part of my DRL upgrade. Made bulb changing pretty much a doddle. Perhaps a little extreme if you're just looking for a single bulb swap, but most will need the light unit lifted out anyway, and that's a bumper off job.
\'N-chilada\' 2003 Chili Red, Black Leather interior

lamcote

Yes, I was doing the bulbs whilst the bumper was off doing the DRLs and I still couldn't work out how to get them out. Now you know why I needed your HowTo for the DRLs so much....!

poprock

I had a nightmare doing these yesterday.

First I discovered that the Halfords instore tablet system lists the wrong type of bulbs for facelift Roadsters (H4s, same as the full beam bulbs, instead of H7s) ... so I had to make a second buying trip.

Changed my wiper blades, change the sidelight bulbs ... then I changed the driver's side H7, easy as anything. Great. But that made me overconfident. I removed the H7 from the passenger side ... and couldn't get the new bulb back in. Could not get the clip to close. I spent nearly three hours fiddling with it and cursing it. Gave up in the end. Sod it. The car's in for an MOT this morning and the garage can do it for me instead!

lamcote

Yes, there is a definite knack to the clips. Once you have taken the headlight unit out and seen how they work you can understand how it's possible to either clip it in straight away or miss the little notch completely. There is nothing to guide the clip into place but if you happen to get it in the right position it just clips in so easily. I'm sure they could have designed a much better version by including a kind of guide system, the problem is the clip has to be positioned accurately in 2 dimensions ie both fore/aft and up/down, to get into the notch.

delhusband

Quote from: lamcote on May  8, 2018, 10:31
I'm sure they could have designed a much better version by including a kind of guide system
Its a real shame its actually easier to replace the full beams than it is to change the dipped bulbs, also
Hate pointy animals

SteveHarvey73

Thanks for posting this, had to replace my blown nearside dipped H7 today and nearly had to admit defeat. In the end I used a good torch and a compact mirror to get sight of the hook, got a feel for hooking it with no bulb present in order there was no resistance and help get some muscle memory, then somehow finally managed it with the new bulb in place. Be prepared for swearing and bleeding fingers if you try this. Offside looks easier as the retaining hook is visible, but I just couldn't face it to upgrade a working standard bulb!
2005, silver, hardtop, manual, standard. 120k miles and going strong. Bought Oct 2020.

Tags: