Double Din Replacement - Sony XAV AX100 - In Pictures-several post for pictures

Started by darrenjuggins, August 25, 2018, 13:30

darrenjuggins

Hi,

These few posts are dedicated to the Sony XAV - AX100 Head unit - it's fits in place of the Original Pre-Facelift unit.  If you've got a single did, then jusy get hold of the surround for the Pre Facelift from Dean or Dick - cost you about £30 to £40... but well worth it.

So, I wanted to replace my head unit, i've had several over the last 18 years of ownership - a single Din Unit - Yes thats right, my car came originally from Europe, so I didn't get the Toyota UK Sony Double Din unit, but Toyota when I registered it in the UK sent me a single DIN unit and install kit for FREE.  Thank you....

Moving on, i've had several units including Sony DAB (Original DAB before most people knew what it was), then Alpine (I wanted Ipod Control) then back to Sony for a great single DIN unit and then finally I decided I wanted a Double Din Unit.

The Full Screen units have moved on and I wanted access to Apple Car Play (it does come with Android Auto as well).

I took my time researching the different units, Kenwood, Alpine or Pioneer - All units i've owed in the past.... the Sony won out, party because I've got the Remote Stalk for it from years ago - the RM - X4S - wired.

Now the Unit I chose, was originally around £600, far too much for my budget, so when I found it via Amazon for £299.00 I thought... hmmm... interesting....

It required a couple of updates when it arrived and subsequently it's needed an update, which has made it boot faster and removed the need to press the Accept button because it has a screen on, it automatically goes off after 5 seconds or so...

The unit is great - easy to use, with some physical buttons and rotary volume knob... Then the buttons for Car Play are large and easy to prod when driving.

also the apps are pretty good and will get better with IOS 12....

below on the images you will see the unit.

1. With Cover and Remote
2. Off
3. Turn on - You can add a load screen - i resized a nice promo shot of the MR2
4. Turned on - with Standard Controls
5. Turned on - with Apple Car Play Buttons
6. Apple Maps
7. Music
8. BBC iplayer
9. Other Apps

SO things to note - the unit will use your data on your phone if you allow it... this was brilliant for me, the aerial of the MR2 is A. Huge and i've had birds hit it before and B. the reception on an 18 year old car isn't brilliant.... So being able to feed all the radio stations you need and also play all the music you want over data is perfect - i've got 45GB for less than £15 a month, you won't use that amount, but don't try running it with 500mb data allowance, you'll be disappointed lol.

Finally the Sound - it's great the MR2 isn't best acoustically but I have this unit in another vehicle as well and the added amplification is noticeable and as you would expect from Sony, the sound is very nice..

So enjoy the pictures and for anyone seeking to upgrade, get Digital Quality Sound and have a lovely useable screen.... then just buy this, or similar, it's a no brainer....

Kindest Regards
Darren
Darren A. Juggins

darrenjuggins

Darren A. Juggins

darrenjuggins

Darren A. Juggins

darrenjuggins

Note the unit doesn't come with a remote - if you want the stalk, a hand held one or a IR one, you'll need to search, find and buy it, just to clarify.

Also the Standard Aerial - I've taken the relay out and haven't even bothered to plug it into the head unit, as everything can be accessed via the apps and data, there is no need to use FM or need to move to DAB, as long as you have a data signal 3G / 4G you'll be fine.

Kindest Regards
Darren
Darren A. Juggins

chrismscotland

Darren, looks great!

I fitted the XAV AX200 this weekend (same unit but with a CD/DVD slot) - all wired in fine (once I figured out I need to take the cage off it!).

Temporarily mounted the mic in the coin holder but will drill a hole there for the wire to go through before sticking it down, iPod/USB Cable comes out under the centre console but will route it up the dash once i get a phone holder.

I have a post facelift car so the surround I have doesn't fit the Sony Unit (I've just stuck on the once that came with the Sony just now) but I assume if I can get a PFL one it would?

Justin.D

Quote from: chrismscotland on August 26, 2018, 23:03
Darren, looks great!

I fitted the XAV AX200 this weekend (same unit but with a CD/DVD slot) - all wired in fine (once I figured out I need to take the cage off it!).

Temporarily mounted the mic in the coin holder but will drill a hole there for the wire to go through before sticking it down, iPod/USB Cable comes out under the centre console but will route it up the dash once i get a phone holder.

I have a post facelift car so the surround I have doesn't fit the Sony Unit (I've just stuck on the once that came with the Sony just now) but I assume if I can get a PFL one it would?

If you can get a surround from a PFL then yes, it would fit. Alternatively there are 'wings' which fill the gap at the edges so you can use your FL surround. The wings are probably easier to get

Something like these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00T5IOFOA/?coliid=I224QO10UPT1TM&colid=JDBSVSK3PRBI&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Or these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000K52CY2/?coliid=I24MW6OSWZQ98X&colid=JDBSVSK3PRBI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

As for mic location - each to their own. I fitted mine in the instrument binnacle by the rev counter. It seems to channel my voice straight into it, so sounds well the other end even at motorway speeds with the roof down. I just popped the shroud off to run the wire in behind. I do have a pic somewhere - I'll see if I can find it and post up
Click for my Readers Ride

darrenjuggins

Darren, looks great!

Chris - Great Choice. For the Mic, mine is positioned in the Rev counter, no drilling, just pull the Boni Le off, three the wire through and it's really neat, hidden and works great, plus it's shielded if you have the roof off.

As for the surround - get one off Dean Rozier , I paid £40and he through in the old Sony double dim plus stealth front as well.

As for the connector, I drilled a small hole for my previous iPod connector into the glove box, put a grommit on it and now put my phone in the glove box and just use the Sony when in the car, saves me from the penalty points brigade.

I'll post a couple more pictures up about the mic and glovebox.

Pleased your happy with the install.

D :)
Darren A. Juggins

darrenjuggins

Quote from: Justin.D on August 27, 2018, 06:56
Darren, looks great!

If you can get a surround from a PFL then yes, it would fit. Alternatively there are 'wings' which fill the gap at the edges so you can use your FL surround. The wings are probably easier to get

Something like these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00T5IOFOA/?coliid=I224QO10UPT1TM&colid=JDBSVSK3PRBI&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Or these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000K52CY2/?coliid=I24MW6OSWZQ98X&colid=JDBSVSK3PRBI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

As for mic location - each to their own. I fitted mine in the instrument binnacle by the rev counter. It seems to channel my voice straight into it, so sounds well the other end even at motorway speeds with the roof down. I just popped the shroud off to run the wire in behind. I do have a pic somewhere - I'll see if I can find it and post up

Great minds... exactly how I have mine, works a treat.

Cheers
Darren
Darren A. Juggins

chrismscotland

Finally got my surround fitted today, delighted with the XAV-200 seems a great unit, Sony Remote Arrived too and is all plumbed in.
You mention the "stealth front" does that fit ok with the Sony unit?

darrenjuggins

Hi,

Yes but you need to get your dremmal out and remove some of the plastic inside the stealth cover.

Couple of minutes and some duck tape / insulation tape to cover up any sharp edges and your sorted... don't want to damage that lovey 6.4" screen 👍
Darren A. Juggins

MartynC

Hi Darren, just been reading your post and viewing your pics re the install of the Sony Headunit. I've just installed the Sony XAV 1000 in my fl MR2 but it appears to sit too far forward so when I put the pfl radio surround on there is a gap behind it. Looking at your pics, the stereo sits further back, did you use the standard radio brackets to secure the Headunit and did you have to modify them?
Apologies for replying to an older post but any help would be appreciated
Thanks

moredun

Hi Darren, what sim plan are you using, lucky if I can find 10G data at £15  ::)
Winner of the Numb bum award 2019

darrenjuggins

Quote from: MR2crisis on January 14, 2019, 18:05
Hi Darren, just been reading your post and viewing your pics re the install of the Sony Headunit. I've just installed the Sony XAV 1000 in my fl MR2 but it appears to sit too far forward so when I put the pfl radio surround on there is a gap behind it. Looking at your pics, the stereo sits further back, did you use the standard radio brackets to secure the Headunit and did you have to modify them?
Thanks

Hi Fella,

No modifications, I just took everything out, then bolted in the new unit, I didn't use the cage, it wasn't necessary.... off the top of my head I got the PFL surround off Dean and then went to work, not sure it that had brackets on, possibly, but I didn't have to do anything special at all.

Weird your's is sitting too far forward - are you sure you put the screws in the correct mounting holes, as it shouldn't fit proud...

without taking mine to bits again, it's hard to remember exactly, but I was very straight forward....

Maybe worth, taking apart and just checking, i'm sure it's something simple you have done.

Cheers
Darren
Darren A. Juggins

darrenjuggins

Quote from: moredun on January 14, 2019, 20:02
Hi Darren, what sim plan are you using, lucky if I can find 10G data at £15  ::)

Hi,

my plan is with Virgin Media - I get 45GB of Data plus Roll over of 20GB a month if I haven't used all my data, so pretty much I get 65GB a month...

Price for SIM plan.... £18 (bought via quidco, got £49 back), so makes the plan equivalent of £15 a month.....

you also get 5,000 mins (83.3 hrs!) and Unlimited Texts...

4G and runs off the back of EE, so pretty good... only thing you loose from EE is Wi-Fi Calling...

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Darren

Darren A. Juggins

Joesson

Have you considered Giff Gaff, they use the O2 network  and offer various contract free deals.

MartynC

Quote from: darrenjuggins on January 14, 2019, 21:48
Thanks

Hi Fella,

No modifications, I just took everything out, then bolted in the new unit, I didn't use the cage, it wasn't necessary.... off the top of my head I got the PFL surround off Dean and then went to work, not sure it that had brackets on, possibly, but I didn't have to do anything special at all.

Weird your's is sitting too far forward - are you sure you put the screws in the correct mounting holes, as it shouldn't fit proud...

without taking mine to bits again, it's hard to remember exactly, but I was very straight forward....

Maybe worth, taking apart and just checking, i'm sure it's something simple you have done.

Cheers
Darren

Thanks for replying Darren, spent an hour last night trying to fit the brackets a different way but they would only fit in one position. Not one to admit defeat, I decided to modify the brackets, so 4 holes and some filing later, new head unit installed securely in the correct place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darrenjuggins

Thanks

Hi Fella,

Cheers
Darren

Hi,

if you purchased before the 31st Jan - Virgin are doing a £20 - 120GB! Data, Unlimited Calls, Texts!!! Mental... but true... you could replace your home BB with this amount of data available lol :)
Darren A. Juggins

darrenjuggins

Quote from: MR2crisis on January 15, 2019, 14:58
Thanks

Hi Fella,

Cheers
Darren

Thanks for replying Darren, spent an hour last night trying to fit the brackets a different way but they would only fit in one position. Not one to admit defeat, I decided to modify the brackets, so 4 holes and some filing later, new head unit installed securely in the correct place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks Great - Well done the unit looks great, enjoy getting used to it.... it's got some power, next you'll be changing the speakers, or at least padding the doors to stop them rattling.

Enjoy...

Cheers
Darren
Darren A. Juggins

shnazzle

I've had the bracket issues as well with my unit,where it wouldn't sit back enough. Basically I had to get creative and make some new holes. It worked.
...neutiquam erro.

MartynC

Quote from: shnazzle on January 15, 2019, 18:22
I've had the bracket issues as well with my unit,where it wouldn't sit back enough. Basically I had to get creative and make some new holes. It worked.
Glad I wasn't the only one, thought I was going mad when I couldn't get the brackets to fit!  :D Yes the "new holes modification" worked a treat for me too!
Out of curiosity, is there a difference between fl and pfl radio brackets? Just wondering as my car is a fl and I had to source brackets from the ever reliable Mr Sloan. The only thing I can think off is that I was using pfl brackets in a fl car? :-\

Davey P

The original outer frame is missing on mine, but I'm still confused whether it needs to be fl or pfl (or if they are both the same?) and what else is needed to fix my single DIN head unit in place.  And this thread has done nothing to make that any clearer, lol. 

I've got to say, that Sony unit looks awesome, well played that man!

moredun

Quote from: darrenjuggins on January 15, 2019, 17:04

if you purchased before the 31st Jan - Virgin are doing a £20 - 120GB! Data, Unlimited Calls, Texts!!! Mental... but true... you could replace your home BB with this amount of data available lol :)

120Gig would last me about 2 days tops ....
Winner of the Numb bum award 2019

darrenjuggins

Ha ha

I thought I was a heavy user at home, think I get through a couple of Tera Bites, but for most mortals 120GB a month would work for the phone and home.

Cheers
Darren
Darren A. Juggins

tricky1138

Quote from: Davey P on January 16, 2019, 07:34
The original outer frame is missing on mine, but I'm still confused whether it needs to be fl or pfl (or if they are both the same?) and what else is needed to fix my single DIN head unit in place.  And this thread has done nothing to make that any clearer, lol. 

FL and PFL surrounds are very different. If you look at the above photo of Darren's radio, that is a PFL surround, and in my opinion looks the best.

If you look at the same photo and look at the cup holder / ashtray part, there is a surround around that area - that is the same as the FL surround, and you will notice that is bigger than the radio. You then need a couple of in fill parts to bridge the gaps. I'll try find a photo of what that looks like.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Davey P

Quote from: tricky1138 on January 16, 2019, 10:43
Quote from: Davey P on January 16, 2019, 07:34

FL and PFL surrounds are very different. If you look at the above photo of Darren's radio, that is a PFL surround, and in my opinion looks the best.

If you look at the same photo and look at the cup holder / ashtray part, there is a surround around that area - that is the same as the FL surround, and you will notice that is bigger than the radio. You then need a couple of in fill parts to bridge the gaps. I'll try find a photo of what that looks like.

Thanks very much mate, that would be a great help.  I've seen the 2 plastic end pieces for sale on ebay & Amazon, and mine has already got a single DIN fascia plate thingy fitted, but it's still a mystery to me how it all fits together.  I think I might also need a different fascia plate, as the ones I've seen have got a separate cubby hole under the head unit, whereas mine has got the stereo located in the middle of a plate, which also looks wrong.

I was hoping to get a complete assembly with all the parts I need from Rutland MR2, but after a few Facebook messages I am still no closer to that.  I think it might be easier to just go down to see him and explain what I need face to face... But in the meantime, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to explain things, cheers.

Tags: