FL Headlights Projection beam LEDs

Started by BigMick, December 18, 2018, 10:10

BigMick

Hi,

Ive only had my 04 MR2 a couple weeks and only last night when walking around the car I realised that the main low beam was the projection beams (I had always assumed they were the high beams)

i believe they are H7s in there, has anyone fitted something like Nighteye LEDs as bulbs insted and if so, as they are projection, is ther beam pattern ok and is there enough room for the heatsink behind the cover, I dont want to waste money on some only to find out they do not fit very well.

thanks in advance,

Mick
RED 2004 Roadster, tte Skirts, tte Exhaust, Toyota GB lip Spoiler, Rota GT3 wheels, lowered 30mm.

BahnStormer

Quote from: BigMick on December 18, 2018, 10:10
[04 MR2] [the main low beam was the projection beams (I had always assumed they were the high beams)]

i believe they are H7s in there

Yes, for FL's (2003 onwards), the projector is the dipped beam and the central light is the high beam.

And yes, they're H7's for the dipped beam.

Not sure which ones will work, but... but I was thinking of the Ricoy LED's for mine - also just ~£25... but as you've pointed out - they all have large coolers behind the unit, so not sure if they'd fit... or maybe Green-L with their flexible mesh heat exchanger (no heatsink or fan), but they're £40...

One other consideration: I know Xenon's are an MOT fail if you don't have washers / auto-levelling, but not sure about LED's...
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

BigMick

Quote from: BahnStormer on December 18, 2018, 12:28
Not sure, but I was thinking of the Ricoy LED's for mine - also just ~£25... but as you've pointed out - they all have large coolers behind the unit, so not sure if they'd fit...

One other consideration: I know Xenon's are an MOT fail if you don't have washers / auto-levelling, but not sure about LED's...

yeah thats true with HIDs, im not a big fan of them, I think LEDs produce a much better light and on my previous cars had a good cutoff, Im not massively fussed about the MOT but ive not had problems before as long as they are fitted to a Projection headlight so htey a proper cutoff so it doesnt blind other road users, if they are not in the projectors the beam is everwhere.

I would be suprised if no one was running H7 leds on here, there are some lovely modified MR2s that ive seen on here.

RED 2004 Roadster, tte Skirts, tte Exhaust, Toyota GB lip Spoiler, Rota GT3 wheels, lowered 30mm.

BahnStormer

LED/Xenon in a projector SHOULD have a sensible beam pattern: in reflector unit would be an outright MOT fail as the beam pattern would be everywhere, not to mention really dangerous - I've seen it once before in a Mk3 Golf.... and about 2 mins later the police pulling them over - it was like a super-bright crystal ball just spraying light everywhere...
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

BahnStormer

These are top of my list right now... but something with a proper heatsink might be better IF it would fit.... [urlhttps://goo.gl/T49qbU]Green-L H7 LED Headlight Bulbs[/url]

moredun

If you have a few bob spare, you could get these ....

https://youtu.be/sdO2bZXInsk
Winner of the Numb bum award 2019

BahnStormer

Quote from: moredun on December 18, 2018, 13:51
If you have a few bob spare, you could get these ....

https://youtu.be/sdO2bZXInsk

ummm... $950 / $1250 for the PFL and $1580 for the FL.... honestly?!?

https://www.hidretrofitkit.com/toyota-mr-2-spyder/

BahnStormer

apparently they'll do those without the Bluetooth and flashing lights, but still $1300!!

I think we just need to go for one of the H7 replacements... so we need a guinea pig to test how much clearance there is behind the unit for heatsink... or if we have to get the dangly heatsinks...

Gut feel is Ricoy looks shallower than Nighteye...

I'm going to do my fog lights first... then see how much heat they kick off...

edit: NightEye is the old trade name of NovSight.... so maybe worth looking for the NovSight if you want their latest models, NIghtEye might be old stock...

https://www.nighteyeled.com/

On that front - I'm definitely considering these ones on Amazon Prime... they look like they've got a very shallow heatsink/fan and they have the lowest colour rating (6000K) - remember that for colour, 3000K are Halogen and 4300K is "daylight", with most OEM HID units 4300K-5000K.... but as you go above 5000K the colour gets more blue/purple... and less actual usable light.... 6000K will be a slightly blue/white light... and 6500K will be more blue and less light.

BigMick

Quote from: BahnStormer on December 19, 2018, 13:58
apparently they'll do those without the Bluetooth and flashing lights, but still $1300!!

I think we just need to go for one of the H7 replacements... so we need a guinea pig to test how much clearance there is behind the unit for heatsink... or if we have to get the dangly heatsinks...

Gut feel is Ricoy looks shallower than Nighteye...

I'm going to do my fog lights first... then see how much heat they kick off...

edit: NightEye is the old trade name of NovSight.... so maybe worth looking for the NovSight if you want their latest models, NIghtEye might be old stock...

https://www.nighteyeled.com/

On that front - I'm definitely considering these ones on Amazon Prime... they look like they've got a very shallow heatsink/fan and they have the lowest colour rating (6000K) - remember that for colour, 3000K are Halogen and 4300K is "daylight", with most OEM HID units 4300K-5000K.... but as you go above 5000K the colour gets more blue/purple... and less actual usable light.... 6000K will be a slightly blue/white light... and 6500K will be more blue and less light.

when the weathers a little dryer I need to remove the front bumper to replace the front fog lamps so I will look at it then to see what sort of clearance etc there is on the back of the lights, I have used nighteye in the past on another car and they were excellent but the heatsinks are quite large, ive never tried the ones with the flaps on the back, i cant imagine they dissipate heat very well.

BahnStormer

Quote from: BigMick on December 19, 2018, 21:51
when the weathers a little dryer I need to remove the front bumper to replace the front fog lamps so I will look at it then to see what sort of clearance etc there is on the back of the lights, I have used nighteye in the past on another car and they were excellent but the heatsinks are quite large, ive never tried the ones with the flaps on the back, i cant imagine they dissipate heat very well.

I've got the NovSight bulbs - they look good and even the beam pattern doesn't look TOO bad, but I can't check it properly as I have to hold them in place!! The problem is that they don't come with the plastic sleeve to create the 1cm spacer that our H7's need, so even when the clip is done up, they rattle around pretty badly!

Suggestions welcome - I was going to put a little piece of foam rubber in place there, but I'm guessing the heat would be too much... same again for the neck off a plastic bottle and then cut it down the side... I'm assuming that there's a fan-assisted aluminium heatsink on the back of those things for a reason!

BahnStormer

I think this is what I need...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Quality-Toyota-MR2-Celica-00-inc-Wti-H7-HID-BULB-HOLDERS-ADAPTER-Spacers-/330643589748

And according to eBay, their postcode is SL1 4LP, so this would be their website: https://www.aetonline.co.uk/

and I think THIS is the part, although not sure if it will fit in the gap available... and if it does, it's going to be a right pain getting the clip back in with the heatsink snagging it!

I'll give 'em a call tomorrow and see if I can pick some up...

edit and I think I answered my own question for what else uses the same mounting shape:
QuoteSuitable for:
Mazda 3 6
CRV CX7
Toyota MR2 Celica Avensis
Corolla Range

edit2: or ONE of these  :-\ :-\ :-\

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOVSIGHT-Headlight-Adapter-Retainers-Universal/dp/B07K8DRDXQ/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1545595992&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=h7%2Btoyota%2Bbulb%2Bholder&th=1

moredun

I need to replace my PFL headlights early next year and was going to change them to projectors,  so I would be very interseted in the outcome of fitting LED lamps and what parts would be required for them. :lurk:

BahnStormer

Quote from: moredun on December 24, 2018, 12:50
I need to replace my PFL headlights early next year and was going to change them to projectors,  so I would be very interseted in the outcome of fitting LED lamps and what parts would be required for them. :lurk:
Stick around here then - yours will be a two-part process thought:

1) the conversion to FL projectors (I've seen various guides for doing that wiring)... then after that we should be able to help you...

2) LED install into projectors: I've got the bulbs, I THINK I know what is required in terms of other parts (the spacers) I just can't confirm which spacers will fit which LED bulbs right now... hopefully should be able to confirm in the next week or so.

My backup plan is to try these: ZHENGXI H7 LED Headlight Bulb, 55W 6000K 13000Lumens Extremely Brigh CSP Chips Conversion Kit [Energy Class A++] (or an identical alternative at HALF the price)

It looks like the would fit into the stock adapters, but there's no heatsink, so I'm not sure what the longevity would be like... and they're £40 (£50 and a 20% discount).

BahnStormer

In the interests of not losing any "knowledge"...

QuoteHRVMR2: I took the clips out and siliconed in my LED headlights
2 of the left: Jeez what happens when they fail??
@HRVMR2  : Had one fail, just take it out and pop a new one in :)

Thanks @HRVMR2 , I'll bear that in mine, but I've ordered the spacers (£5), so I'll try those first... and have the silicon idea as yet another one of mu backups.

BigMick

ive not been on here for a while, I have broken a few ribs doing the rear brakes so i am now going to have to take it easy for a while now whilst that heals, I will remove the headlights at some point and look at what I can do with them, I do fancy fitting drls in them similar to the one you linked and maybe spraying the housing black with red switchable deamon eyes in the projectors.  how do-able that is, I have no idea lol

shnazzle

Quote from: BigMick on December 27, 2018, 22:16
ive not been on here for a while, I have broken a few ribs doing the rear brakes so i am now going to have to take it easy for a while now whilst that heals, I will remove the headlights at some point and look at what I can do with them, I do fancy fitting drls in them similar to the one you linked and maybe spraying the housing black with red switchable deamon eyes in the projectors.  how do-able that is, I have no idea lol
What???
Did the car fall on you? Hope you're ok
...neutiquam erro.

BahnStormer

ive not been on here for a while, I have broken a few ribs doing the rear brakes

:o :o :o :o :o ummm.... WFT?!?!?!

So you just dropped that into the conversation and then carried on like nothing happened - what on earth happened? Did an axle stand tip / no axle stands? I've always been a fan of putting the wheels under that car after they've been taken off, but that might become mandatory!!

And yes, fair call, don't worry about the headlights for a few weeks, eh?

If you want some vids to watch - check out the channel by @Leethesparky on YouTube (I think it's SpyderLee or something like that)... he's got a PFL, but did some pretty funky looking DRL red Demon eyes... not my cuppa, but definitely funky!!

BigMick

lol sorry it was very busy over christmas, I had replaced the rear brake discs and pads and was cleaning up, i remembered that I had left my socket on the floor in the drivers so I leant in without opening the door and heard an almighty crack and a shed load of pain, fast fiorward an hour at my local walk in centre I had fractured 2 lower left ribs.  this was a few weeks ago now and it is still uncomfortable to lay down, that will leach me.

I follow SpyderLee and Daddiaries on youtubem they both have done some great videos.

Mick

Quote from: BahnStormer on December 28, 2018, 10:24
ive not been on here for a while, I have broken a few ribs doing the rear brakes

:o :o :o :o :o ummm.... WFT?!?!?!

So you just dropped that into the conversation and then carried on like nothing happened - what on earth happened? Did an axle stand tip / no axle stands? I've always been a fan of putting the wheels under that car after they've been taken off, but that might become mandatory!!

And yes, fair call, don't worry about the headlights for a few weeks, eh?

If you want some vids to watch - check out the channel by @Leethesparky on YouTube (I think it's SpyderLee or something like that)... he's got a PFL, but did some pretty funky looking DRL red Demon eyes... not my cuppa, but definitely funky!!

BahnStormer

wow - so unlucky rather than some life-threatening catastrophe!

Good luck getting on the mend.

BTW - I bought the plastic spacers for the NovSight LED's and I can confirm they're a waste of £5... I've had to hack them down to less than half the size, had to cut them in half and now I've cracked one in half trying to fit it and just hacksawed the other and it WOULD have broken and a controlled break will give me a better chance of using that part.

And after all that I'm still gluing the spacers in place and using cable ties to hold them together...

I'll post some diagrams / photo's IF this works, but what you need for the spacer is a very short, fat piece of plastic piping that is reasonably heat resistant:
length: ~9mm
inner diameter same as central core of the NovSight
outer diameter (wall thickness) as fat as you can get it, ideally 6mm+ wider that is the lip that the metal clips will have to get purchase on - so that would be a 3mm lip. If this fails, you won't lose the bulb, but the bulb will slide back in the projector unit and your focus will go out pretty badly.

moredun

Why not use something like high density fire/water proof foam pads/strips?

Easy to cut, shape and build up the thickness you require. I have seen this in packing for harddrives, tool cases etc, the link below is just to give you an idea of what I mean ....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ansblue-Protector-Anti-collision-Self-adhesive-Waterproof/dp/B07KJCCT2Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1546854926&sr=8-5&keywords=high+density+fireproof+foam

BahnStormer

Quote from: moredun on January  7, 2019, 10:08
Why not use something like high density fire/water proof foam pads/strips?

Easy to cut, shape and build up the thickness you require. I have seen this in packing for harddrives, tool cases etc, the link below is just to give you an idea of what I mean ....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ansblue-Protector-Anti-collision-Self-adhesive-Waterproof/dp/B07KJCCT2Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1546854926&sr=8-5&keywords=high+density+fireproof+foam

I thought about this, but the metal clips still need something to catch onto at the back of the spacer: so I think you'd need some sort of washer behind the foam.

I've got fed up trying to get this to work: the metal clips are getting caught in the back of the heatsink on the back of the LED bulb the whole time - it makes it almost impossible to get them in.... or if I get them in, there's no room to latch up the clip and it'll be almost impossible to change the bulbs (if there are ever issues with MOT's or I need to change a bulb). IF anybody else in Surrey/Sussex area wants to have a try with these, let me know and you can have them for a tenner (I'll drop them off on my commute!).

The options are either to take the entire headlight unit out (this and every time I want/need to change bulbs!)... or to go to the backup plan (the ZHENGXI units).... but they're on one month lead time... or these TXVSO units that get pretty mixed reviews (but half the price and available on Prime). I think I'll go for the cheaper ones... the "bad" reviews mostly seem to relate to flickering and bulb sensor warning on later model cars... I don't think the MR2 has anything that technical, so worth a crack :)

BahnStormer

Quote from: BahnStormer on January  8, 2019, 09:08... or these TXVSO units that get pretty mixed reviews (but half the price and available on Prime). I think I'll go for the cheaper ones... the "bad" reviews mostly seem to relate to flickering and bulb sensor warning on later model cars... I don't think the MR2 has anything that technical, so worth a crack :)

Did I mention I'm pretty impatient? I ordered the "TXVSO" (cheap ones) on Tues night, they arrived Weds night and and installed them y'day.

One point worth mentioning for anybody installing these: remember this is DC current and an LED is a Light Emitting Diode (has to be plugged in with correct polarity), so I'd advise people to to plug them in and test first... I had a moment of panic when mine didn't fire at all and I thought the bulbs were DoA or had fried soemthing in the electrics, but then tried flipping the connectors around. It's 50-50 each time and I've clearly just fluked it EVER time previously!

Regarding the TXVSO budget LED's: very mixed feelings, but overall very positive as a Proof-Of-Concept at least. These were a doddle to install (almost identical physical shape to a halogen), so I just unclipped the old ones, moved the Toyota adaptor over and clipped them back in.

No flickering/errors, beam pattern is good* and VERY consistent light - better than any halogens, but the intensity of the light is pretty tepid... even compared to the Halfords Advanced, which are the best Halogen bulbs I've found (certainly better than the Philips / Osram NB's I've had previously).

*initially the beam pattern was AWFUL - but that is because both clips hadn't been done up properly and both bulbs had dropped back in the projectors slightly: this creates a narrow "zoomed" intense beam of light up and to the right (oncoming drivers) and nothing in front of you.... which has made me even more nervous about silicon seal / glue solutions....

In terms of the actual light quality - for context: my other car has the Audi Matrix LED setup, so I will acknowledge that I'm spoilt... and that I'm driving on a mix of London street and then pitch black country lanes for my commute... to I have a weird mix of a few miles lots of external lights and then utter darkness for 20miles.

Ironically the country lanes felt fine - the light is decent, but just felt a little "watery", especially compared to when I flick the NovSight LED highbeams on (yes, I'm only comparing the front section of the beam, where there should be light from dipped beams).

The weak light is most noticeable on the London streets, where the light sometimes struggles to cut through shadows cast by street lighting.

Will I keep them? Yes, for now, but I'm looking for other options....

Although I had to hold them in place, the NovSight H7 dippedbeams were a FAR more intense light, but I just don't have the confidence to glue them in or try to secure them in another way as I'd like to know that I will either DEFINITELY pass an MOT and even when that does pass, I need to know I can definitely swap in a replacement bulb easily.

As much as the beam pattern looks decent and clean (correct slope, no artifacts/shards of light poking out all over the place, etc), but I'm still worried about picky MOT testers - my MOT is in April - if that passes, I think I will try taking the headlight units out and creating a new clip and/or silicon sealing the NovSights in place - IF it looks like I can do this in a way that I could just pull them out again and put a Halogen bulb in as a temporary replacement.

mitreklov

Inspired partly by this thread and the desire to improve the dipped beam on my 06 facelift Two, I've just completed a successful led headlight conversion.

I took a few pictures of the process which are posted here, which may be of help if anyone is thinking of doing the same.

Firstly the components I used.
I sourced this H7 led set from a Chinese web site that I've used on many occasion with great success, although you do have to be patient especially if you order just before Chinese New Year, as I did.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/50W-8000LM-G7-LED-Headlight-Auto-Kit-H4-H1-H7-9005-9006-H8-H9-H11-H10/32878389233.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.2.2b15573aZDgmPb&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5_10065_10068_10130_10547_319_317_10548_10696_10192_10190_453_10084_454_10083_10618_10307_10820_10301_10821_10303_537_536_10902_10059_10884_10887_321_322_10103,searchweb201603_70,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=ddcad548-720c-4e58-87f6-727b4c888454-0&algo_pvid=ddcad548-720c-4e58-87f6-727b4c888454&transAbTest=ae803_3 

These links come and go, if this one has expired just search the web site for 'G7 Led headlight'. I paid £18.50 for a set including delivery from China.

I have used these leds in another car and knew they were bright and well engineered. Of particular note is the removable/reversible heat sink and adjustable rotation and focus should you need it.
What you get is a pair of these:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iZbNr8LLgbmEyPSv9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hp6EXWC751UpqdX26

I also sourced these plastic adaptors, despite being listed as a Mazda part they looked very close to the pattern of the bulb holder in the Toyota.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pcs-Black-Plastic-H7-Xenon-HID-Headlight-Bulb-Base-Holder-Adapter-for-Mazda/192208229234?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

As is turned out they were close but the prongs were a little short, so I had to do a little reshaping to use them.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wp3gB8UTnhwCwQ8J8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9tCQPKXrgRYejmu5A

I should point out that I removed the headlights to make this whole process much easier.

I reshaped the plastic adapters to sit inside the back of the headlight housing rather than on top, this took out any play and with the clip in place held the H7 led snug in the housing.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/X7p61UvxR6bvsDF67
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xnVVaZz9SugePMqy9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LBvAtD7wb9S3KR2x9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qZv9RXxKs2DZ19Px8

With the led in place and secure I trimmed the rubber cover to allow the heat sink to screw onto the back of the led housing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4UxA1cvG4NiDjAqaA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zJpiuL9XtKcB59je9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Km5yeyLLanwYcq87

Finally, put the headlights back into the car and secured the led driver pack with a couple of cable ties.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ik2PTffgvA7NnpzT6

I ran the headlights for 20 minutes or so to see how much heat dissipated from the heatsink and was surprised to find they run quite cool, no danger of melting the rubber covers or plastic parts.

The brightness, evenness and focus is excellent with none of the scatter sometimes witnessed with leds fitted in none projector lamp housings.
I know there is some debate on the legality of fitting leds and HIDs in cars as after market mods but I'm not going to enter into discussion here. However this mod does allow me to easily go back to the halogen bulbs if I have to.

2006 Spectra Blue, Hardtop, AC

BigMick

thank you for taking the time to post this dude, this will definetly help me when i do mine and I know others will find it useful.

mitreklov

Good point, hadn't really thought of that aspect.
2006 Spectra Blue, Hardtop, AC

Tags: