Rear Reversing Camera

Started by MartynC, February 6, 2019, 11:04

MartynC

After fitting a new Sony Headunit recently I've noticed there's an option to connect a reversing camera which would utilise the screen.
As the cameras are quite cheap on amazon and it would give me peace of mind when the mrs borrows the 2  :o, I've decided to go ahead and fit one.
Has anyone fitted a rear camera to their 2 and could offer advice on how it was fitted and where to run the cable from the camera around the engine and into the cabin to the Headunit?

Carolyn

I haven't fitted a camera, but I have fitted an electric oil pressure sensor and gauge, which requires a wire from the engine compartment to the dash.

If you look to the right-hand side of your engine (on the  bulkhead) you'll see a large grommet with a bundle of wiring going through the bulkhead.

I pierced a very small hole in the soft part of that rubber and fed a length of stiff welding wire through it.  Then I removed the plastic cover at the bottom of the door frame and the cover on the sill.  (They are both push-fit so they pop off.).  I seem to recall that I also removed the cover to the side of the driver's side luggage bin, to let some light in.  It has two pop-in clips.

Then I taped the wire to the end of the welding wire, fished around inside the hole revealed my the removed plastics until I found the other end and pulled the wire through.

Make sure you have more than enough wire. (Ending up too short would be a bummer).

Then you can put all the plastics back.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Topdownman

I have one connected to a separate screen in my cubbyhole. I previously had it connected to the headunit but it can be hard to see the screen in sunlight with the top down on the HU.

I got a camera built into a rear number plate surround for a neat, easy installation. I dont remember exactly where my cables went as it was some time ago but it wasnt a problem and I think I tapped into a wire to one of the rear lights (reversing light feed)  and may have gone through the grommet on the passenger side by the ecu and under the centre console. This would mean taking the rear bins out but that is straightforward.

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

ManInDandism

There was a Pioneer reversing camera already in situ in my rear bumper when I bought the car.  As it came with no head unit, I wasn't aware of this until I went to fit a head unit myself and uncovered the extra cables (car was from a dealer, so no info on finer detail) . 

Camera is screwed neatly into bumper on the flat part that overhangs the number plate so I guess bumper was removed to enable it to be fixed there. It takes a feed from the reversing light on the passenger side and the two connections to head unit run down that side of the engine bay through the rubber grommet in the bulkhead, under the storage bin, are threaded underneath the top of the carpet, along the bottom of the central console neatly taped to the bundle of existing wires, , beneath the carpet between gear lever and ashtray and then come up to plug into the back of the head unit.     

I fitted a non camera compatible unit first since I'd not realised.  I had that in the car for two weeks before placing it on eBay and buying a double din unit to make full use of it. Having got used to parking sensors in my other cars, I like it as despite how small the car is I can't exactly judge where the back is...or maybe I just never tried hard enough! 
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

MartynC

Thanks all for the feedback, You all make it sound fairly straightforward a job to complete. Both cable routes mentioned seem easy enough to replicate. This will be my next little project as soon as we get a dry weekend!

darrenjuggins

Hi,

Late to the party - but I fitted one to my Civic Type R FN2, which is a pig to park....

I found a wi-fi sender / receiver for not a lot of money, once powered saves you threading the cable all the way through the car.

I powered mine from the lights, so all i need to do is turn the lights on and my reversing camera come up on the screen on the Sony head unit.

In total with the camera and wi-fi option, cost less than £30 in all and a little a few scotch locks.

Works fine, the only issue is I can't activate the lines for distance and the fish eye of the lens works best with some reference points on it.

other than that works fine.

Hope this helps..

All the above ordered from amazon, pretty easy stuff to find.

Cheers
Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Tags: