Rear fog light info?

Started by BahnStormer, February 11, 2019, 13:45

BahnStormer

Can I check on details on rear fog lights?

Where is the switch? Linked to front fogs or hidden somewhere?

I keep meaning to check them from outside the car, but I was trying to front fogs the other day (in heavy fog) and couldn't notice any change in the rear light (as you would see when braking, etc).

Have I missed the switch somewhere? Are they not that bright? or are mine broken?
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Gatouzze

You have a button on the right of the steering wheel however you need to have the lights on for it to work ;)

BahnStormer

Quote from: Gatouzze on February 11, 2019, 13:48
You have a button on the right of the steering wheel however you need to have the lights on for it to work ;)

That's fronts fogs only though, isn't it?

I've checked the manual (https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/owners-manuals/mr2-spyder/2005) and there's lots of mentions of fuses, switches, bubs, etc for the front fog lights... not one mention of any rear fog lights.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

tricky1138

Quote from: BahnStormer on February 11, 2019, 14:02
Quote from: Gatouzze on February 11, 2019, 13:48

That's fronts fogs only though, isn't it?

I've checked the manual (https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/owners-manuals/mr2-spyder/2005) and there's lots of mentions of fuses, switches, bubs, etc for the front fog lights... not one mention of any rear fog lights.

Rear fogs switch is on the lights stalk.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

BahnStormer

Quote from: tricky1138 on February 11, 2019, 15:11

:o need to check that one then!?!?

edit: and yes, this is the sort of info I was fishing for!

tricky1138

Quote from: BahnStormer on February 11, 2019, 15:28

No problem - when checking - do you get  the warning light coming on the dash?

As far as I remember they should be as bright as your brake lights.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

BahnStormer

Quote from: tricky1138 on February 11, 2019, 15:38

Never realised the stalk had another option - this will have to wait until tomorrow - I'm in central London today and by the time I get home, I don't think I ought to be "with the keys in my possession, within 30 feet of the vehicle" or whatever the drink-driving definition is... even if it's just in the passenger seat checking that stalk :)

It's been through two MOT's and never been flagged before - so I assume it is there and working... I just assumed they all ran on the one fog light button next to your right knee - since I've always had front and rear fog light buttons down there on my last five cars (although admittedly on two buttons) - I guess it's just the whole PFL/FL thing that the front fogs are an afterthought ... it was dark the only time I've thoguht I needed rear fogs and I keep forgetting to check/ask!

BahnStormer

I'm just trying to picture where it is on the stalk... is it the sleeve for the sidelights+dipped lights that just twists a little further or is it a second sleeve on the same stalk (like on a late-model Land Cruiser / Hilux)??

tricky1138

Best I can do from a quick Google.

It's a second sleeve on the stalk.

It's also just a resistance switch that will flick back to off position after flicking them on, so that they wont turn back on after you turn your main lights off / on.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Call the midlife!

Quote from: BahnStormer on February 11, 2019, 15:54
Quote from: tricky1138 on February 11, 2019, 15:38

Never realised the stalk had another option - this will have to wait until tomorrow - I'm in central London today and by the time I get home, I don't think I ought to be "with the keys in my possession, within 30 feet of the vehicle" or whatever the drink-driving definition is... even if it's just in the passenger seat checking that stalk :)

It's been through two MOT's and never been flagged before - so I assume it is there and working... I just assumed they all ran on the one fog light button next to your right knee - since I've always had front and rear fog light buttons down there on my last five cars (although admittedly on two buttons) - I guess it's just the whole PFL/FL thing that the front fogs are an afterthought ... it was dark the only time I've thoguht I needed rear fogs and I keep forgetting to check/ask!
Funny you should mention the "drunk in charge" part, last Ding Day Saturday evening/night I was sat in the driver's seat of mine in the hotel carpark with keys in the ignition. Obviously no intention of going anywhere as I'd had at least 4 alcoholic drinks by then but technically I could've lost my license over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

BahnStormer

Quote from: tricky1138 on February 11, 2019, 16:24
Best I can do from a quick Google.

It's a second sleeve on the stalk.

It's also just a resistance switch that will flick back to off position after flicking them on, so that they wont turn back on after you turn your main lights off / on.

Only had a couple of drinks, so I thought I'd be unlikely to be stopped walking to the car and back... so I had a quick sneaky look now... REALLY obvious when you know where to look - like you said - spring-loaded resistance switch - had a quick test - all works perfectly... all I can blame is my previous car history (BMW, VW and Audi, where the fogs were always down near your right knee), combined with the location of the front fog switch.... also in my defence, I had only ever previously wanted to use them on the motorway, in the fog and it kept slipping my mind (for a week!) since that situation...

paulj

Hiding in plain sight!  Japanese cars tend to put light controls on the stick and Germans tend to add them to a dash button array.  I experienced the same as you in reverse many years ago, after growing up with Japanese motors I was unable to switch the lights on in a BMW.

Glad it is sorted for you
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

BahnStormer

Quote from: paulj on February 11, 2019, 23:56
Hiding in plain sight!  Japanese cars tend to put light controls on the stick and Germans tend to add them to a dash button array.  I experienced the same as you in reverse many years ago, after growing up with Japanese motors I was unable to switch the lights on in a BMW.

Glad it is sorted for you

Absolutely! Thread was useful as it reminded me to look properly when I wasn't driving!

Tags: