Best Mid-range Speakers available now?

Started by househead, May 28, 2019, 20:20

househead

Looking for some currently available mid-range/priced woofer and tweeter component speakers for my car to replace the stock ones. Powered by a Sony XAV-AX1000 (no amp 55Wx4 output). Ideally in the £50-100 range. Can source fitting brackets for 5.25" or 6.5" woofers via fleabay/amazon. The speakers should be good enough on their own as it might take me a while to get around to fitting the sub (USW10 on order) which I expect to be more of a pig. Not looking for audiophile level sound quality or boy-racer level vol btw, just it would be nice to hear tunes clearly at 70mph with the top down :D Also can be a package with tweeters and woofers or a pairing of separate components.

Am I good to use the stock wiring? I see there are pluggable adapters available. The purist in me says no but the experienced lazy person in me says yea, fook it.

Any tips for easily available now stick-based remotes? There are old 2nd hand sony models available for bad money without mounts and all sorts on fleabay, but I would prefer something new.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Call the midlife!

Kenwood KFC-E170P 300W 17cm... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G5JODOO?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I fitted these, decent for the money, just needed some fiddling around with the tweeters to make them fit the FL door cards. No issues with the wiring, pretty much plug and play.
If you're binning your OEM speakers just cut the door rings off them and attach to the new speakers.
It'll make sense when you start doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

househead

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 28, 2019, 22:15
Kenwood KFC-E170P 300W 17cm... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G5JODOO?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I fitted these, decent for the money, just needed some fiddling around with the tweeters to make them fit the FL door cards. No issues with the wiring, pretty much plug and play.
If you're binning your OEM speakers just cut the door rings off them and attach to the new speakers.
It'll make sense when you start doing it.

Nice ... I had spotted those Kenwood ones and half hoped they'd be good enough because if so that's a steal at the price!

I was going to keep the old ones but I'm really not sure why, they are almost certainly binnable and it makes it easier and cheaper :)

Cheers for the tip! Here's to actually hearing the music :D

Call the midlife!

Get yourself a roll of flashing from Screwfix or similar while you're at it and sound deaden all the door cards and bits of trim.

househead

Flashing tape would be much cheaper than the dedicated stuff right. Only thing I guess needs to be avoided is the bitumen based stuff which I'm sure would stink up quite bad!

Call the midlife!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bostik-flashband-grey-10m-x-100mm/57969
I use this sort of stuff, needs a quick waft with the heat gun once you've placed it to properly stick but it deadens vibrations well.
I also got some "dynamat" type cheap off Fleabay after someone shared a link on here but there was quite a run on it, think they might have underpriced it at the time [emoji23]
Which sub did you get?

househead

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 29, 2019, 09:46
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bostik-flashband-grey-10m-x-100mm/57969
I use this sort of stuff, needs a quick waft with the heat gun once you've placed it to properly stick but it deadens vibrations well.
I also got some "dynamat" type cheap off Fleabay after someone shared a link on here but there was quite a run on it, think they might have underpriced it at the time [emoji23]
Which sub did you get?

Aye the Dynamat stuff seems pretty expensive for what it is.

The Sub I got is the InPhase USW10 which I think is the same as you. It should be arriving today. Now tell me you don't also have the Sony XAV-AX1000 HU do ya or we'll have almost the exact same setup :D

Edit: actually I think I'm mixing you up with Shnazzle who said they have the USW10. Are you rocking a sub also, Midlife?

Call the midlife!

Nah, I'm Kenwood through and through, wouldn't buy the head unit again for these cars though.
Wish I'd gone for a Sony as there's no remote stalks for the Kenwoods.

Bossworld

Crikey that flashing tape is half the price of the stuff I got.  I went for Butyl rather than bitumen to avoid any unwanted smells

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sika-Multiseal-Sealing-Self-Adhesive-Flashing-Tape-Band-10m-100mm-lead-look-Roof/361706918206?hash=item543769913e:g:xHUAAOSwHoFXwY3h&frcectupt=true

Needed just over 10 metres from memory

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Bossworld on May 29, 2019, 10:26
Crikey that flashing tape is half the price of the stuff I got.  I went for Butyl rather than bitumen to avoid any unwanted smells

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sika-Multiseal-Sealing-Self-Adhesive-Flashing-Tape-Band-10m-100mm-lead-look-Roof/361706918206?hash=item543769913e:g:xHUAAOSwHoFXwY3h&frcectupt=true

Only smells when you first install it and warm it, we're not talking melting it, just activating the adhesive.

househead

Quote from: Bossworld on May 29, 2019, 10:26

Ta for the heads-up. I checked that link and it did say in the description "Made from aluminium foil reinforced by a polyester film and coated with a cold-adhesive bituminous compound".

Maybe I'm overthinking this, just don't want my car smelling like a building site :rofl

If it's only for the bedding in period, I could always lend the car to my friend for the weekend ha

Bossworld

I think most people are OK with it, I'm just overly sensitive to smells, noise, anything that could irritate me frnakly  :P

Call the midlife!

I'll try and remember to bring a bit to Ding Day and you can have a sniff for yourself.

Bossworld

D'oh I've just seen I've linked to Sika's bitumen based stuff.  All I can say is I paid about £20 for a 10m roll of the butyl stuff.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Bossworld on May 29, 2019, 11:27
D'oh I've just seen I've linked to Sika's bitumen based stuff.  All I can say is I paid about £20 for a 10m roll of the butyl stuff.
Do you need a lie down??

Bossworld

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 29, 2019, 11:33
Quote from: Bossworld on May 29, 2019, 11:27
Do you need a lie down??

I'm going to extrapolate that the butyl stuff does funny things to the mind  ;D

househead

I'll give them both a sniff and let you guys know which is the "good sh1t" :D

househead

Just arrived [emoji108]

Call the midlife!

Lovely. That's not what I have though so can't help you with installation advice [emoji23]
Mine is a Kenwood sc 11, flat and rectangular.

househead

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 29, 2019, 14:35
Lovely. That's not what I have though so can't help you with installation advice [emoji23]
Mine is a Kenwood sc 11, flat and rectangular.

I'll find a way, somehow! Bloody thing is heavy ... don't want this falling on shins!

househead

Another much welcome arrival today [emoji108]

Just need to source the soundproofing materials now and some time to do it. Probably next weekend if I can make enough progress boxing stuff up to move house.

Call the midlife!

Rerouting some of the cables so took the chance to take a better pic.

househead

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 30, 2019, 14:44
Rerouting some of the cables so took the chance to take a better pic.

Thanks! That's very helpful. The very definition of "Belt and braces"!

If you don't mind, could you also pls send me the full size images (pm/email/whatevs)? I don't  know why this forum enable us to attach the full size image and have a small thumbnail inline with the post ... Shnazzle!? It's a problem I've come across on here a couple times viewing useful information but accompanied by small downsized images (and not the fault of the poster)

Call the midlife!

Pm incoming. Be prepared to get a bit contorted though, I've left the seat in today to save time.

househead

Heh, think I'll be taking the seat out at the very least!

Tags: