Using the A/C button for ANTENNA CONTROL not air conditioning

Started by Yellowicken, June 6, 2019, 22:15

Yellowicken

Hello to all in MR2 roadster world.

First post and very new to this forum.

I have a bog standard 04 plate. I've had it a few months now and enjoying ownership.

I've cleared out the pre-cats and put a switch for the bin lorry reverse noise in the coin slot.

I now want a switch for the standard aerial set up.
I've seen the passenger window disable switch solution and this seems easy enough but I've not seen anyone use the A/C button.

My car doesn't have air con, just a blank where the button would be.
I have discovered that behind the blank is a switch that is wired up and when pressed lights an LED.
If I get an A/C button and wire it to operate the aerial (maybe even light the LED when the aerial is up) I'd be pretty happy.

There is a block connector (picture below hopefully) that feeds the panel but I'm no auto electrician so any advice about making this happen would be great.

Got to be cool having a labelled ANTENNA CONTROL (A/C) button just above the stereo  :)

shnazzle

I was mighty confused until you mentioned you had no A/C.
That's rather brilliant! Do it!

.. And welcome :)
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

Hello and welcome.

Devil in the detail.
As a 1st post, you have slipped in, a switch for disabling the reverse beeps.

That needs expanding on.

Despite knowing what a 2 looks like.
We do like to see some pics.

househead

I like this (if only for retaining the use of the passenger lock button and all the fun that can be had with that). Let us know how you get on.

I'm intending to use the passenger window lock button as it stands, I think most on here use that for the aerial control.

I'm even more interested in your switch for the reverse sound. Any chance you could fill us in on how you did it?

I've toyed with the idea of lowering the dBs of it with blutack and tape but that just feels a bit wrong to me! I saw some had used a time-relay to reduce the bleeping to just 2-3 beeps. At the moment this is my preferred solution but I've got bigger fish to fry first!
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Yellowicken

Hello again
Thanks for responding.
When I get the chance I'll sort out how to do photos properly and show the reverse beeper switch and a few other pics.

househead

My advice for the photo uploading is to use the Tapatalk phone app ... which makes it super easy. The web forum way is not ideal at the moment - myself and shnazzle will be working on that very soon as part of the forum software update!
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

jonbill

Why would you want an aerial control button? If I am listening to the radio I want the aerial up and if not I want it down and the standard car handles this automatically already.
Confused!

Yellowicken

Hopefully there are 4 photos.
Two of the A/C switch (on and off) and both sides of the plug.
Need to track down a wiring diagram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shnazzle

Quote from: jonbill on June  7, 2019, 17:26
Why would you want an aerial control button? If I am listening to the radio I want the aerial up and if not I want it down and the standard car handles this automatically already.
Confused!
Some aftermarket stereos don't do this. They just power the antenna regardless of mode. This is where the antenna button was borne from
...neutiquam erro.

jonbill

Quote from: shnazzle on June  7, 2019, 17:57
Quote from: jonbill on June  7, 2019, 17:26
Confused!
Some aftermarket stereos don't do this. They just power the antenna regardless of mode. This is where the antenna button was borne from
Ah thanks Patrick. I'm very happy with my Sony original.

Yellowicken

Failed miserably to make progress with the A/C button aerial control. :(
I've wasted too many life minutes trying to find a wiring diagram, pity Haynes didn't produce a manual.
I've settled for the window switch solution for now.
If there is anyone out there with a wiring diagram for an 04 plate I'd like to have a look.
Window switch job is straight forward and yes it is the black wire on the standard car loom.

cptspaulding

Quote from: jonbill on June  7, 2019, 17:26Why would you want an aerial control button? If I am listening to the radio I want the aerial up and if not I want it down and the standard car handles this automatically already.
Confused!
I listen to DAB 99% of the time & I prefer the look of the car with the antenna down. If I want to listen to FM I'd like a switch for the antenna. Interested to see how this is progressed.
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

Tags: