Replacement key after break in

Started by Jonrav, October 6, 2019, 20:10

Jonrav

Hello all,

My house my broken into last night and they took my main MR2 key.  The vehicle is safe and sound but I am wondering what steps are best to take next?  Get the immobiliser recoded and 2 new keys??

Thanks

jonbill

Not sure if they can be recoded.
You could get a replacement ecu and keys from a breaker, and swap the transponder over to your spare key and get a copy cut (and use the other transponder from the spare from the breaker)

paulj

You can definitely wipe all keys from the alarm/remote and start again.  Not sure if you can do the same with the immobiliser system.

In any case there would still be a key out there cut to your car.  I would go with the new ECU option to be on the safe side, it might even be something your house insurance would cover.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Jonrav

Thanks for your help.  As it turns out I only have the valet key left.

BahnStormer

That really sucks - I hope you've got a steering lock / wheel clamp on it until you've got this sorted?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but in case you hadn't realised already: If you only have the valet key, then you won't be able to do the recoding yourself, so I think you're going to have to take it to Toyota...
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Carolyn

Jonbill's option of ECU and key could well be cheapest. 
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Jonrav

Stroke of good luck! The key along with other items taken were found in  near by shrub just after my last post.

But the car is always kept in a garage with a steering lock and the battery is generally not stored there as it is kept on charge.

househead

2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Tags: