Battery Charger (6v and 12v c/w Trickle Charge function etc) at Aldi

Started by SV-3, October 11, 2019, 14:55

SV-3

Hi All.
These are available in-store at the moment in their AUTOXS range at £12.99.
Suitable for cars and motorbikes - c/w crocodile clips and ring terminals.
3yr Warranty.
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Topdownman

I have been using one of these for a while and it seems OK.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Chilli Girl

I got one today so thanks SV-3 for mentioning it.  Am going to use it on my motorcycle and help along the battery. :)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

s12vea

TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Chilli Girl

There were a lot left in the Salisbury store today Steve so hopefully it will be the same at your local store too. :)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

SV-3

Quote from: Topdownman on October 11, 2019, 15:17I have been using one of these for a while and it seems OK.
@Topdownman - I've not used one of these combined Charger/Trickle Charger types before (my existing device is just a straight trickle charger). Are you connecting yours directly to the battery (terminals) and leaving the cars negative and positive cables in situ?
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"

Topdownman

I just use mine as a normal charger. If I remember correctly, when you connect it, it starts on the motorcycle setting of 0.8 amp, if you press the mode button again it goes to the car setting of 3.8 amps. It gives a readout of the charge of the battery which is a nice idea but not sure how accurate it is but it gives a clue at least!

If the battery is really low then it will not switch to 3.8a  until there is a certain level of charge so you have to go back later to switch it to the higher rate. Its not intelligent so wont do any changes itself like uping or lowering the charge rate (as far as I know).

My cars are charged on the drive with an extension lead to the garage so I couldnt consider a trickle charge even if I wanted to. The charger may work with one of those plug in timers so the power only comes on at set periods maybe if you have a secure garage?

I dont disconnect the terminals when I am charging the battery.

Certainly worth the money.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

SV-3

Quote from: Topdownman on October 13, 2019, 10:41I just use mine as a normal charger. If I remember correctly, when you connect it, it starts on the motorcycle setting of 0.8 amp, if you press the mode button again it goes to the car setting of 3.8 amps. It gives a readout of the charge of the battery which is a nice idea but not sure how accurate it is but it gives a clue at least!

If the battery is really low then it will not switch to 3.8a  until there is a certain level of charge so you have to go back later to switch it to the higher rate. Its not intelligent so wont do any changes itself like uping or lowering the charge rate (as far as I know).

My cars are charged on the drive with an extension lead to the garage so I couldnt consider a trickle charge even if I wanted to. The charger may work with one of those plug in timers so the power only comes on at set periods maybe if you have a secure garage?

I dont disconnect the terminals when I am charging the battery.

Certainly worth the money.
Thanks very much for the info.
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"

BahnStormer

I'm not sure how these compare, but the Sakura SS3629 Battery Charger (4 Amp) - from Amazon for £14.99 on Prime next day delivery...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004A9165K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 (or search for the SS* code).

Goes up to an 8amp version for only £18! (Sakura SS3631)

Several years ago, but I got the 5.3Amp version (SS5037) and it completely reconditioned a battery that I thought I'd destroyed by repeatedly running it flat (bad software update on my satnav)... even after jump starting and a long drive, it would fail to hold any charge.... it took ~24h for it to do it's magic, but the battery has been fine for the last 4 years since that episode! I know friends that use these to trickle charge their garage queens...
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Tags: