Aerial replacement

Started by Scooby250, October 26, 2019, 22:25

Scooby250

Right so when I replaced my rear wings I fitted a standard pull up one as my electric one had broken inside.
But within 2 months of fitting the new one that has broken so what are other members fitting as replacement electric ones from Toyota I would imagine will be an arm and a leg.
2005 Sable FL, 2zz engine, Cobra quad exhaust, Malian sports cat, TRD spoiler, tte/gb body kit, T-Sport Leather Seats, 17" Rial TX Alloys, Toyo Proxie TR1, KYB shocks and Tein springs

gazza1286

Scooby250

Thanks for the info a bit cheaper then I thought for a original style version.
Anyone fitted a smaller version aerial and if so does it work as well as the original style?
2005 Sable FL, 2zz engine, Cobra quad exhaust, Malian sports cat, TRD spoiler, tte/gb body kit, T-Sport Leather Seats, 17" Rial TX Alloys, Toyo Proxie TR1, KYB shocks and Tein springs

barchetta_ms

A went an alternative route to get around the issue of the aerial going up when not needed. I bought a cheap second hand window lock switch from ebay replaced the coin holder with it. I then ran a short extension to loop the power aerial signal lead from the back of the head unit through it. It looks OEM and you just toggle the switch if you need the aerial up. All done in less than 15 minutes.

jonbill

On the more advanced PFL, with the Sony headset, the aerial only goes up when you want to listen to the radio anyway :)

Joesson

There is a thread on "using the passenger window switch for something else" the something else is to stop the aerial going up and down, other switches can be used also, but the thread does  seem to be missed sometimes. Anyway 30k views so not everyone misses it

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=5453.0

jonbill

Quote from: mr2noob on October 30, 2019, 13:46
Quote from: jonbill on October 30, 2019, 07:43On the more advanced PFL, with the Sony headset, the aerial only goes up when you want to listen to the radio anyway :)

I have my radio always turned on cause I listen to my music every second I'm driving, so it'd turn on as soon as I turn the key and the bloody aerial starts whining, then retracts and whines again when all the dashboard lights turn off and I start the engine. Plus to top it off it looks bloody awful sticking out like that, literally the bad leftover from the 90s. xD
I'm making a distinction between using the actual radio rather than the head unit. On the PFL Sony, the aerial only goes up if you actually use the radio rather than CD/MD/AUX

BahnStormer

Quote from: Scooby250 on October 26, 2019, 22:25Right so when I replaced my rear wings I fitted a standard pull up one as my electric one had broken inside.
But within 2 months of fitting the new one that has broken so what are other members fitting as replacement electric ones from Toyota I would imagine will be an arm and a leg.

I've got one on a 2006, if you want to come and help to remove it... it's just a couple kg that will be easier to lose than going on a diet. I'd really just love a rubber grommet to go into that hole and be done with it... I have NEVER used the aerial on mine - the previous MR2 had the relay pulled so it would never move.... but the aerial on my old car was really noisy - this one is pretty quiet.... just un-used....
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Scooby250

Quote from: BahnStormer on October 31, 2019, 12:15
Quote from: Scooby250 on October 26, 2019, 22:25Right so when I replaced my rear wings I fitted a standard pull up one as my electric one had broken inside.

I've got one on a 2006, if you want to come and help to remove it... it's just a couple kg that will be easier to lose than going on a diet. I'd really just love a rubber grommet to go into that hole and be done with it... I have NEVER used the aerial on mine - the previous MR2 had the relay pulled so it would never move.... but the aerial on my old car was really noisy - this one is pretty quiet.... just un-used....
Thanks for the offer I would be keen to take you up on it but I don't know when I would be able to get down to you.

Tags: