Headlamp boots

Started by Petrus, November 1, 2019, 20:24

Petrus

A spin off from more light on the road.

When I started motoring that was with 6V and 45W 12V was a leap of enlightenment.

I don´t know when they became a thing  :-[  but in the nineties even Eduro motorbikes had no rubber boot over the main bulb to keep water out and those could be driven through 90 cm or so deep water.

First time I became aware of it was on my 2000 VFR and though my 2001 Enduro lacked it, since then every car too!

The ham question is whether they are such a must.
They retain a lót of heat so the next question is whether it´s a worthwhile trade off.
Fitting more powerful lighting means more heat and all kinds of cooling fins. Why not boot the boot?
I mean; never missed them during the 20th C. and only had óne headlight misting up ever. Yes, I know; they are called dúst covers but same thing no?!

Well, and not forgetting; they are 100 gramms each....

moredun

Rubber headlight boots do have a use or two ..

1) Prevent dust and dampness from attacking the rear of the headlamp and corroding the connectors.
2) Also helps against accidental damage if a tool is dropped on them while working on the car, for example a spanner, socket or a 2lb pein hammer

Covers have been standard in the UK for a long time, from solid plastic ones to the rubber ones, but given your environment, being much drier than the UK, who knows it might be a good idea... :o

Winner of the Numb bum award 2019

Petrus

Quote from: moredun on November  1, 2019, 21:35Rubber headlight boots do have a use or two ..

1) Prevent dust and dampness from attacking the rear of the headlamp and corroding the connectors.

Well, no, not persé. The three prongs of the H4 bulb stick through many and the connector sits on the outside then.
The Spyder is one of those.

Quote2) Also helps against accidental damage if a tool is dropped on them while working on the car, for example a spanner, socket or a 2lb pein hammer

Better cover the oútside of the unit ;-)

QuoteCovers have been standard in the UK for a long time, from solid plastic ones to the rubber ones,

How long is long time? When did they become common practice?

Quotebut given your environment, being much drier than the UK, who knows it might be a good idea... :o

Mwah. Less rain, more dust and it is called a dúst cover.

Anyway, I know that blokes fitting LEDs with H4 sockets have to do away with them because of the larger cooling fins on the back. Have not heard of any problems.

Will have a look when I change bulbs but will most likely leave them off.

[/quote]

Tags: