Smart phone Holder

Started by Hamezi, November 7, 2019, 12:01

Hamezi

Hi,
Looking for a holder for my Huawei phone for my 2004 MR2 Roadster. Any ideas?

Thanks

shnazzle

Quote from: Hamezi on November  7, 2019, 12:01Hi,
Looking for a holder for my Huawei phone for my 2004 MR2 Roadster. Any ideas?

Thanks
To be honest, I've tried a fair few fancy ones, but this has been my go-to for a few years now:

Halfords One Touch universal car mount holder

It even held my Samsung Note3 perfectly.
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

I have mine in the rear cubby. Have the doors out and lay it behind me face down so I can doubly can not see the screen light up and spark my curiosity.

househead

I'm using a Brodit ProClip in both my Roadster and my VW Golf. They're expensive but really quite decent. The one I use comes with a clip for the lightening cable (they do android phone ones too afaik).
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

BahnStormer

Depends where you want to mount it.... my preference is the police recommended option of just above the driver's SIDE air vent (almost next to the wing mirror, about 2 inches behind the indicator stalk)...

It's close enough to be able to touch with your hand almost still on the wheel and even small screens are very legible.

For this layout, my preference is this one: works well in a Roadster, even with rock-hard suspension, Yoko AD08R tyres ragging it down the bumpiest of B-roads!

MPOW arm @ Amazon £9

There are alternative shapes for larger phones (same MPOW, different bracket), but the compact one means you can just slot it in with one hand!
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Bossworld

I've got a non-slip silicone mat, which turns it into the poor man's version of a dashpod. I've drilled a small hole in the side of the cubby to route a USB.C cable for power too.

DreamLine Products Car Phone Holder Dashboard Mat - Premium Edition, Car Phone Mount for all Vehicles, Phones GPS (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073T6H9CL/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_apa_i_tIkXDbVPMEGHM

SV-3

Quote from: BahnStormer on November  7, 2019, 22:01Depends where you want to mount it.... my preference is the police recommended option of just above the driver's SIDE air vent (almost next to the wing mirror, about 2 inches behind the indicator stalk)...

It's close enough to be able to touch with your hand almost still on the wheel and even small screens are very legible.

For this layout, my preference is this one: works well in a Roadster, even with rock-hard suspension, Yoko AD08R tyres ragging it down the bumpiest of B-roads!

MPOW arm @ Amazon £9

There are alternative shapes for larger phones (same MPOW, different bracket), but the compact one means you can just slot it in with one hand!
I think I would prefer one with a vertical "stop".
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Hamezi

Many thanks to all for your suggestions.

s12vea

TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

H1GRM

Quote from: s12vea on November  8, 2019, 20:45I use these...

https://megamount.co.uk/collections/home-collection

Ordered 3 of these including one of the CD fit ones for the Jeep. Other two for the GG and the real Goddess.
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=66294.0<br /><br />TTE Turbo 6R4 Forest Green - Y55 GRM <br />Jeep Wrangler - H1 GRM

shnazzle

Tried the magnetic mounts. After having my phone at my feet for the 3rd time I gave up. Now I have a metal plate stuck to the back of my phone for no reason :) 

To be fair, it's not the mount's fault. But it's not coilover-friendly.
It holds absolutely perfectly on smooth roads
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

I tend to pull the cup holder out and just stand mine up in the left hand hole...
60% of the time it works everytime...

Call the midlife!

Quote from: BahnStormer on November  7, 2019, 22:01Depends where you want to mount it.... my preference is the police recommended option of just above the driver's SIDE air vent (almost next to the wing mirror, about 2 inches behind the indicator stalk)...

MPOW arm @ Amazon £9

I've never understood the logic with this position as you've got to look away from the direction of travel, granted easier to reach though.

BahnStormer

Quote from: Call the midlife! on November 10, 2019, 11:49

MPOW arm @ Amazon £9

I've never understood the logic with this position as you've got to look away from the direction of travel, granted easier to reach though.
I was just following police guidelines to start with, but I actually prefer it to the centre-mount... I know almost everybody does the centre-mount, but mounting anything on the screen that is in your eyeline is technically illegal if it reduces your view of the road ahead at all.

If you look at the angles involved - the "looking in the direction of travel" doesn't make sense - I'm not travelling towards the centre of my car (30deg to my left)... I'm travelling forward, well most of the time at least... I'm pretty sure a centre-mounted screen that is within reach is a wider angle away from looking straight ahead when compared to something directly on top of the airvent. There might be some narrower angles if you mount it forward on the screen, but then it will be inaccessible, hard to read and illegal as it at least partially block your view out the windscreen.

I've not even considered anything else since trying the positioning above the airvent and I've even swapped my other cars over to that too, despite them having lower mounted airvents.... but I'll check the angles sometime later.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: BahnStormer on November 11, 2019, 12:51
Quote from: Call the midlife! on November 10, 2019, 11:49

MPOW arm @ Amazon £9

I was just following police guidelines to start with, but I actually prefer it to the centre-mount... I know almost everybody does the centre-mount, but mounting anything on the screen that is in your eyeline is technically illegal if it reduces your view of the road ahead at all.

If you look at the angles involved - the "looking in the direction of travel" doesn't make sense - I'm not travelling towards the centre of my car (30deg to my left)... I'm travelling forward, well most of the time at least... I'm pretty sure a centre-mounted screen that is within reach is a wider angle away from looking straight ahead when compared to something directly on top of the airvent. There might be some narrower angles if you mount it forward on the screen, but then it will be inaccessible, hard to read and illegal as it at least partially block your view out the windscreen.

I've not even considered anything else since trying the positioning above the airvent and I've even swapped my other cars over to that too, despite them having lower mounted airvents.... but I'll check the angles sometime later.
I don't disagree with anything you've said, it was the police recommendation bit I struggle with.

Having said that I don't look at mine while I'm driving as I don't use it for sat nav and my sat nav is fixed to the screen to the left side of the instrument cluster. Where as you rightly say could be construed as blocking my view but no more than the dash incorporated ones on BMW, Audi etc.
So I don't have to look much further off my eyeline than if I'm trying to read the p... poor speedo.
It's all a ridiculously grey area anyway as you're not supposed to have any screen capable of playing entertainment on in view of the driver while the car is in motion either. 
That'll be the next one to go through the courts, drivers caught watching tv as they drive along.

Bossworld

Struggling to take a pic with the phone in-situ for obvious reasons but this is the one I referred to:

Ozzy

I made one using bits off ebay which cost about a fiver all together. Stuck a magnetic disk on the back off phone case and can have it either flat or up for navigation, etc.

£1 flip stand,
£3 magnetic disk phone holder,
£1 double sided tape.
The pattern matches the dash which is a bonus.

Tags: