Alarm relocate

Started by Smithy, May 26, 2020, 20:46

Smithy

I started to follow the how to for relocating the alarm but when I unplugged it I thought the world was ending. My ears are still ringing and my neighbors were not happy. I plugged it back in but it was still sounding. Should I have disconnected the battery first? I'm going to leave a day or so before attempting it again to let the dust settle with next door. Thanks in advance
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Call the midlife!

They have an inbuilt capacitor as a kind of failsafe for if someone cuts the power etc, it WILL stop eventually, just bear in mind you've probably recharged it plugging it back in.
Wrap it in an old pillow or something to deaden the noise a bit?
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

I don't remember mine or Helen's going off when  I unplugged... Odd. 
Wonder what the sequence is to prevent it
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

Sounds a bit odd. I assume the car was unlocked and the alarm de-activated.

Is your car battery charged up? I would check the condition or charge it up in case that is was is triggering the back up capacitor to trigger?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Call the midlife!

Just out of curiosity you didn't have to nip inside the house partway through and lock the car without thinking or anything did you?
I've done a similar thing before with the Mondeo, if you don't open a door within so many seconds of unlocking the car automatically relocks/re arms the alarm.
But the bonnet release has its own lock barrel behind the Ford badge and will set the alarm off if you haven't opened a door.
I've left my bonnet up on the 2 and nipped in the house for something before but locked the car regardless, I don't have a standard alarm to worry about though 🤓
60% of the time it works everytime...

Smithy

It's quite a new battery and I think it was unlocked however it was locking it's self as I was working on it
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Bossworld

It should just go beep beep beep beep beep (at a moderate volume) and then stay silent.

Smithy

All sorted now. You were right, the car must of locked itself while I was working on it. Nice little job to do and given me a little more storage space.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

virginpaul

If the alarm is set to "passive arm" it may have armed itself (also to note is that this is one setting that resets to default -on- after you remove and replug the alarm module).  If the alarm is armed when you unplug it, it will trigger an alarm, if it's disarmed it will chirp a couple of times then stop.

You can either muffle it with a pillow, or disable this feature before starting - it will default to on when you replug in the alarm unit.

After I completed the mod, I couldn't understand why the alarm kept going off in my garage after I had left it then went back to it and got in, and it went off when my son was sitting in the car whilst I went to pay for fuel - now switched off using the guide on here.

Smithy

Do you have it on passive now?
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

virginpaul

I've selected it to off now.  So it does not self arm after closing the last door.

My options set are
Automatic (Passive) arming - off (Valet mode)
Status monitor (Alarm) led Flashing (when disarmed) - on (only selectable with passive arm off - obviously)
Piezo Buzzer Defeat (door ajar warning) - on
Answer Back (indicator lights flash on arm/disarm) - on
Ignition Controlled Door Lock (auto lock doors when ignition to on) - on (well, I grew up in Beirut- I mean Croydon so old habits die hard!)

Tags: