obd reader - which app

Started by bishop130771, May 28, 2020, 20:28

bishop130771

Going to buy one of these, can someone tell me which app is best to use. Alternatively I am upgrading my stereo to a din unit, is there a way of showing display on there?
Finally has anyone actually found a decent smart phone holder that suits the rather small cockpit!

Ardent

before you buy.
Are you an Apple or Android girl?

People have reported apple prefer a WiFi connection (I believe). Not all Bluetooth seems to be created equal. Or at least not apples.

I'm an android boy and use torque Pro.
There's something else like dash command or something.

A dongle is a great piece if kit to have and cheap. Can give a good insight in to how engine is running.

Head unit I will to others, as I like to try and keep my car ad vanilla as I can as poor as the Fisher price unit is.

bishop130771

Thanks ardent, recently converted to android so hopefully Bluetooth works OK.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071D8SYXN/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
Is the thing I want?

JB21

Cheap EML327 & torque pro app works great.

Ardent

Quote from: bishop130771 on May 28, 2020, 21:15Thanks ardent, recently converted to android so hopefully Bluetooth works OK.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071D8SYXN/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
Is the thing I want?
Don't need to go that expensive.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193482244071

Is it the 'best doubt it, but gets the job done.

shnazzle

Note that cheapies can be a bit moody with connecting. But I've had a 5 quid one that worked for years.

Also, another effect to watch out for on the cheapies is triggering the airbag light. But there's a trick. Plug it in AFTER starting the car. Hey presto.
...neutiquam erro.

paulj

Can confirm the Apple/Bluetooth niggles - so choose WiFi if your technological preference is fruit based.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

tom256

Quote from: paulj on May 29, 2020, 15:09Can confirm the Apple/Bluetooth niggles - so choose WiFi if your technological preference is fruit based.
iPhone and OBDII Reader BT4.0 works fine. Problems are with BT3.0 only.
Toyota MR2 Roadster 2005 TF300 Silver Streak Mica
Team Impul NS-GT2 '17
Zero header + Zero cat + TTE Exhaust
TRD Door Stabilizer
Denso TT Iridium

ManInDandism

For the smartphone holder bit, I can recommend the Brodit Proclip mount.  This comes in two parts - a mount for the car and then a holder for the device.  It's probably not the cheapest option but is absolutely rock solid. 

I use one to mount my Garmin Satnav:

The mount comes with some trim tools and instructions suggest that you try and squeeze it between/behind the tiny gap in the glove compartment edge/heater control panel.  However is simpler to just remove the heater control panel (held on by two screws) and then fit.  Also means you are in close proximity to the cigarette lighter so can charge the device via a USB adaptor.
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

Tags: