Speaker Upgrades

Started by moredun, June 10, 2020, 18:09

moredun

FYI only

Just upgraded my stock speakers to Pioneer TS-A1600C and very happy with the outcome.

An added bonus was the fitting kit works on the MR2 (not mentioned in the compatibility list), this made fitting the system very easy.

Winner of the Numb bum award 2019

shnazzle

Those look quite tasty. What is better/worse over stock? Easy to fit? Etc etc
...neutiquam erro.

Bugster_MR2

Good to hear. I installed Polk Audio component speakers a few years ago, and they sound worse than the stock units. I believe they need much more power to play properly, so I will install an amp soon. If that doesn't help, I'll try the Pioneers too.
Bugster
2001 red with KW3, TRD rear brace, Zero race cat and MAF-mod.
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

moredun

Quote from: shnazzle on June 10, 2020, 18:18Those look quite tasty. What is better/worse over stock? Easy to fit? Etc etc

@shnazzle

A quick roundup of my system (so far)

Headunit   Eonon GA2170 (andriod system)
Max power 4x45W surround stereo
Pioneer TS-A1600C component system, Max power 350W, continuous power 80W

After upgrading the headunit, it became very clear that the stock speakers were unable to coupe. Distortion, popping etc even at low volume and a waste of time trying to listen to music/radio when driving. After installing the upgrade speakers the sound quality is like night and day and wish I had done it sooner.

Installing was simple, once I worked out what to do (no instructions included).
Just remove the door card and stock speakers. Remover tweeter, unscrew tweeter from bracket, then replace tweeter bracket. Fit (included) cable to tweeter and run cable down towards main speaker. Fit tweeter to bracket using included double sided tape.
For the main speaker, line up and fit the speaker adapter to the door. Connect the tweeter to the main speaker, the crossover (filter) is in the main speaker. Fit the speaker to the adapter remembering to run the speaker cable back out. I cut off the stock connector and made my own connection for the speaker wires. Job done.

Although everything needed to install the speaker system was included, it did lack any instruction, but easy enough to work out.

Still just a few days in, and so far I am very happy with the sound frequency and clarity. Even with the top down, I have not gone past the 50% volume (yet). An Amp/Subwoofer has now been put on the back burner :P

Stuey2uk

I'm finding the stereo too loud in traffic and too quiet "open road"
Are the rear storage bins the only place to put a sub ?
Would a Sub be a cheaper option ?

Ardent

@Stuey2uk
Have a search through @cptspaulding posts. I know he has sub fitted.
Also the ICE section

@moredun How are you getting on with the Eonon headunit?  All easy enough to use, reliable, etc?

Ta, Joe.

p.s. sorry for the slight thread resurrection.

moredun

Quote from: 11891952 on January 16, 2021, 14:51@moredun How are you getting on with the Eonon headunit?  All easy enough to use, reliable, etc?

Ta, Joe.

@Joe

The Eonon headunit is a nice bit of kit without spending a fortune. Fitting was easy, but to get the trim to fit (PFL MR2) was fiddley, I had to file around the inside of the trim by 1 or 2 mm to make it fit.

The unit itself has 2 SD card  readers, 1 for maps the other I use for music/films
One of the Apps I use is Torque, I have a OBII dongle permanently fitted, so all I need to do is start up the app to read/clear codes etc

After 2 years of use, it has been reliable, easy to customize with a plethora of apps to choose from, and thats from someone who has NEVER used an android system before.

Only on a few occasions have I found the screen difficult to read due to the sun, but hey, I don't see much of the sun anyway :P 

Thanks for the reply.  Sounds like it might be worth a go then!

Tags: