Trouble changing stereo

Started by treeroy, September 21, 2020, 18:21

treeroy

Hi there. I am replacing my original Sony (preface) stereo, with a new JVC double din unit. And I need some help, please!

I have removed the stereo, wasn't too hard (except the stereo surround trim snapped, but oK)

I am struggling to understand how the wiring works.

I have bought a "ISO Harness" for Toyota to use as an adapter. This is the adaptor: https://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/stereo-fittings/toyota-iso-t-harness-adaptor---ct10ty01-582053.html

However. None of the female "ports" (not sure what technical term is) on the adaptor, fit into the new stereo. Nor do any of the male ports on the adaptor, fit the female port on the car.

Here are some photos so you see what I mean.

Overall view:

The female port on the car: - also, this blue wire, is it the one controlling the radio that I've heard needs to be cut / switched in order for the antenna to not stay up? It looks like someone already cut it if that is the case (although the antenna goes up and down just fine...)

Old stereo on top. New one on bottom. They both have 16 pins but the pins are closer together on the new one. They are too close together / and the whole thing is too small for any of the ports on the harness to fit.

This is the harness:

And also, think this plate will fix with some glue?! It snapped as soon as I touched it.

Thanks a lot in advance. I just don't get how the new stereo connects!

SV-3

The Halford's fitment list does not reference the Mk3, only the 1987? model year.
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

treeroy

Quote from: SV-3 on September 21, 2020, 18:39The Halford's fitment list does not reference the Mk3, only the 1987? model year.
In the description it refers to cars like "year X onwards" so its all models after 1987.

I figured out what I was doing wrong, anyway. I hadn't removed the OEM Stereo's cables, just the stereo itself. It all works fine now and the stereo turns on.

One more question!

When I turn the car on with the new stereo connected, the car Antenna rises. I don't want this.

Presumably, if I cut off the wire that controls the FM/AM radio, the antenna will not rise.
I will never use the radio function and am happy to get rid of it.
Which wire do I need to cut? And is it safe to just cut off one of the wires? (And tape it up)

SV-3

Quote from: treeroy on September 21, 2020, 18:48
Quote from: SV-3 on September 21, 2020, 18:39The Halford's fitment list does not reference the Mk3, only the 1987? model year.
In the description it refers to cars like "year X onwards" so its all models after 1987.

I figured out what I was doing wrong, anyway. I hadn't removed the OEM Stereo's cables, just the stereo itself. It all works fine now and the stereo turns on.

One more question!

When I turn the car on with the new stereo connected, the car Antenna rises. I don't want this.

Presumably, if I cut off the wire that controls the FM/AM radio, the antenna will not rise.
I will never use the radio function and am happy to get rid of it.
Which wire do I need to cut? And is it safe to just cut off one of the wires? (And tape it up)

That's good news 8)
I believe it's the blue wire (in the adaptor) that signals the aerial.
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Topdownman

Lots of us have wired the aerial into the window lock button on the dash so the aerial only operates when this is on as well as the stereo.

Should find lots of posts about this for reference, possibly called something like "using the window switch for something else"?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

treeroy

Quote from: Topdownman on September 21, 2020, 22:30Lots of us have wired the aerial into the window lock button on the dash so the aerial only operates when this is on as well as the stereo.

Should find lots of posts about this for reference, possibly called something like "using the window switch for something else"?
Thanks for the suggestion - but I must say I would have no idea how to wire that.

I will never use the radio particularly as this radio has DAB. Im happy to cut the wire if that will solve the problem :)

jonbill

on the Sony headset, and I expect after market too, the aerial is only up when your using the radio and down when  using CD/MD/Aux. unless you've got "Traffic Announcements" (TA) turned on.

paulj

Quote from: jonbill on September 23, 2020, 07:56on the Sony headset, and I expect after market too, the aerial is only up when your using the radio and down when  using CD/MD/Aux. unless you've got "Traffic Announcements" (TA) turned on.
on the old sony headunit also switch off auto auto tune "AF" on the station you leave on the radio when you swap to CD/MD.  Others may also keep the aerial up to support AF in the background
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Jamtastic

Quote from: treeroy on September 22, 2020, 18:40
Quote from: Topdownman on September 21, 2020, 22:30Lots of us have wired the aerial into the window lock button on the dash so the aerial only operates when this is on as well as the stereo.

Thanks for the suggestion - but I must say I would have no idea how to wire that.

I will never use the radio particularly as this radio has DAB. Im happy to cut the wire if that will solve the problem :)

Hi treeroy

If your just running DAB you can unplug the aerial relay box. It lives underneath the drivers storage bin. 4 screws for door and some more bolts and clips inside. You may have to do passengers side as well, I think they overlap. You'll see the box it's palm size and just unplug and bag up the plug. No more aerial and you can put it back if you wish at a later date.

treeroy

Quote from: Jamtastic on September 24, 2020, 08:02
Quote from: treeroy on September 22, 2020, 18:40

Hi treeroy

If your just running DAB you can unplug the aerial relay box. It lives underneath the drivers storage bin. 4 screws for door and some more bolts and clips inside. You may have to do passengers side as well, I think they overlap. You'll see the box it's palm size and just unplug and bag up the plug. No more aerial and you can put it back if you wish at a later date.
Thanks that's very useful to know!

I cut off the antenna wire and the stereo works a treat with no stupid Dodgem wire sticking out the back lol.

Tags: