Stereo buttons not working

Started by Jay, March 6, 2021, 11:00

Jay

Hey folks,

Just thought I'd ask in case I've figured it out wrong.

Used my standard Sony head unit for the first time in months and after about 20 miles I wanted to switch stations.  Button wouldn't work.  In fact none of the controls would work (volume/seek/etc) so it was powered and working fine just seemed to have an issue with the front panel.

Thankfully the OFF button worked but now it won't switch on (still illuminated so the wiring should be fine).

I'm thinking it's an electrical failure in the unit itself and should start looking a cheap replacement?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Carolyn

Sounds like it's fubarred to me.

There's plenty of units folk have taken out out there.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Jay

Thanks Carolyn, my thinking too.

If anyone has an old MR2 Sony double DIN from a PFL going cheap make yourselves known!

Carolyn

I do and it's already boxed up and ready to post!

Yours for the cost of postage and a small donation to the club.

PM your address.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

paulj

Hey Jay

The numbered buttons along the front do different things if you have pressed the "shift" button just to the right of them.  That might answer the switch stations problem but not sure why you would have lost all the buttons.

The unit has three live inputs, continuous, switched and illumination.  I dont think they are separately fused but might be worth a check.  Your unit might be illuminated with that feed whilst the switched supply has failed. Normally the illumination feed goes via your sidelight feed but who knows what might have changed on old cars!  You can get a wiring diagram from Sony with the model code below.

With a bit of wriggling you can get the multi plug off the back of the stereo without removing it from the console.

If no luck there, Looks like the two options are to replace as-is or upgrade.  That will depend on your view of originality. I am probably biased as I have kept the Sony in mine!  If you did want to keep original it was Sony model number wx-c570r.  If you want to upgrade, there are other posts here which have discussed options.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Jay

Much appreciated for the replies - very comprehensive Paul, I'll take a quick bash at it tomorrow to make sure it's not operator error!

Expect a PM afterwards Carolyn, don't mind firing some ££ into the club, about time I gave something back 8)

Jay

Update - forgot to check yesterday when tackling the brakes (was too distracted fighting rusty bolts) and today the bugger is working again.. weird!

Thanks again for the offer Carolyn, I'll PM you once it starts messing around again.

paulj

i'd suggest a loose multiplug at the back.  Engineering solution is to give the multiplugs and wiring a "good wiggle" and see what happens.

people would pay money for that expert advice (not)
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Joesson

Quote from: paulj on March  9, 2021, 17:25i'd suggest a loose multiplug at the back.  Engineering solution is to give the multiplugs and wiring a "good wiggle" and see what happens.

people would pay money for that expert advice (not)

A brand new Vauxhall Cavalier ( some time ago) would not start first thing in the morning and keep the gauges on without blowing a fuse, several times. The Main Dealer's "Engineering Solution " was to " Bang the top of the dashboard before you turn the key".
It didn't work!

Tags: