Sub in the Frunk?

Started by s12vea, August 11, 2021, 21:56

s12vea

Has anyone ever put a sub in the frunk?
Another one won't hurt  .....

Bossworld

It's an interesting prospect, first thought would have been the 'firewall' (or mid engined equivalent) is going to stop what little noise can make it's way through to the cabin from doing so.

But, other manufacturers do spare wheel well subs. I guess the big difference being that's only separated by rear seats and flimsy carpet, but if you were wanting to adapt something, VW did them for the Mk6/mk7 Golf.

https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/SingleView/spc-600g7

s12vea

Just thought I could use the space in the front keeping the rear bins free.
Might give it a try and report back

MRSwede

Just a thought.
Got a dirty install on the FTSB, only the frunk left.
Getting a lot of debris in there from driving.

I have a sub in the rear bins, seats and lid damping the sound with a fear amount, so guessing that a frunk lid and "firewall" will do the same.

SuperArt

Quote from: s12vea on August 11, 2021, 21:56Has anyone ever put a sub in the frunk?

People put expensive airlift systems in the frunk so a sub should be feasible. Whether it will produce the effect you're looking for is another question.
Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

s12vea

Quote from: SuperArt on August 26, 2021, 17:18
Quote from: s12vea on August 11, 2021, 21:56Has anyone ever put a sub in the frunk?

People put expensive airlift systems in the frunk so a sub should be feasible. Whether it will product the effect you're looking for is another question.
Yes plenty of space but need the sound to travel though the bulkhead. When I get some time I will give it a try

BahnStormer

Put it there if you want the sound for outdoor events / people on the street... if it is about music for yourself, while you're driving then it would be crazy to put it there - you're not in the same enclosed airspace, so even low-frequencies are going to struggle to make any sort of real impact other than a distant thud.

I think people have had a lot of success with under-dash installs that will mean you keep you rear storage. Search for "USW10", that rings a bell.

Granted a side-by-side comparison of a proper sub enclosure versus one of these compact subs will favour the full size enclosure every time, but when you have an airgap + bulkhead, you might as well be listening to the music from the guy in the car next to you at the traffic lights...

Alternatively (saving on cost, weight and complexity), look at some high quality component speakers with good low-frequency responses and a decent amp to drive them.

My setup was done a pretty tight budget (no amp), but I'd highly recommend the Pioneer TS-E171ci or whatever the latest version is in terms of speakers - they have active crossovers to separate the tweeters from the main drivers and cleaner low frequency response than most <£200 mini subs.

In terms of the "no amp" option: I ignored the 4 channel, combined PMPO ratings and focussed on TWO channel RMS ratings and watch out on the THD - some manufacturers focus on adding together the peaks of all the channels and measure at a stupidly high THD.

You'd be better off with a 25 RWS two channel dedicated amp with a 20Hz-60kHz range, at <0.1% THD than any "400W" head unit (normally measure at 5%-10% THD, which is just "speaker farting").... there are definitely better amps than the one in my headunit, but it is incredibly small and light (a quarter of the size+weight of the OEM one) and drivers the two channels very nicely... if I want better bass, my next step  would be a proper amp before I bothered with a sub.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

StuC

He really wants the under dash sub, but doesn't want to have to make one, despite me giving him the dimensions. 😂😂😂😂

Have to agree with Bahn though, not sure you would get the right impact in the cabin.

My abstract 2p...
You could always perm hardtop and use the folded roof space for an enclosure.
Or
Perm open top and do the same. Obvs everyone else will be enjoying your music choice then too.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Topdownman

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

cptspaulding

Quote from: Topdownman on January 27, 2022, 07:07Have you considered one of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-KSC-SW11-Underseat-Subwoofer-Radiator/dp/B00BO8O9XQ/ref=asc_df_B00BO8O9XQ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310873119586&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8946954069890550156&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006912&hvtargid=pla-562423027424&th=1

Mine improved the sound as the speakers dont have to try to handle the lower frequencies any more.

Did you get that under the seat?

I had something similar but sat it on velcro fixings behind the passenger seat. Worked great but obviously impinged on passenger legroom. Was easy to unplug & remove whenever the other half was travelling with. We pretty much never have the music on in that case. She We prefer to chat. So we do.
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

shnazzle

I removed my "underseat" subwoofer a few months ago to put in another car. It was fantastic in the mr2 and, as per above, makes a huge difference because you take such a load off the stock speakers. I replaced the stock speakers with aftermarket and it made next to no difference.

Mine is/was a USW-10,fitted above the pedals with some custom mounts. One side was bolted to an existing bolt in the car against the right side, the other side on a DIY hanger. Then I had a sponge behind the speaker to stop vibrations and to also keep it firmly, but flexibly in place. There it sat for 4+ years. Hidden away. No space lost.
Potential safety issues during a crash aside, best place for it.

I had it behind the passenger seat, against the wall. Sounded crap. No depth. 
Tried it in the cubby. Sounded muffled and crap and stifled.
Tried it in the passenger footwell, sounded crap.
Then under the steering wheel... Perfect.
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

Quote from: cptspaulding on January 27, 2022, 09:37
Quote from: Topdownman on January 27, 2022, 07:07Have you considered one of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-KSC-SW11-Underseat-Subwoofer-Radiator/dp/B00BO8O9XQ/ref=asc_df_B00BO8O9XQ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310873119586&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8946954069890550156&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006912&hvtargid=pla-562423027424&th=1

Mine improved the sound as the speakers dont have to try to handle the lower frequencies any more.

Did you get that under the seat?

I had something similar but sat it on velcro fixings behind the passenger seat. Worked great but obviously impinged on passenger legroom. Was easy to unplug & remove whenever the other half was travelling with. We pretty much never have the music on in that case. She We prefer to chat. So we do.

No, wouldnt fit under the seat in a 2. Mine is under the dash, above the pedals so no downside other than a bit more weight and the cost!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Tags: