Radio not working

Started by Chilli Girl, December 17, 2021, 19:51

Chilli Girl

Well, I haven't put the radio on for a long time as I've been listening to CD's.  Went to turn the radio on tonight and it didn't work although the clock and display was still showing. The aerial didn't raise either. It's the original pfl radio I believe. Wonder if I've pushed a button by mistake that's stopped it working, I wouldn't be surprised😔 - can anyone help please?
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Joesson

@Chilli Girl
Before ( someone else other than me) advises as to the technicalities of what could be wrong I suggest starting from the simplest of things.
Did the radio ever work?
Has the previous owner used the passenger window switch, or some other switch, to disable the aerial?

Chilli Girl

Quote from: Joesson on December 17, 2021, 20:16Before ( someone else other than me) advises as to the technicalities of what could be wrong I suggest starting from the simplest of things.
Did the radio ever work?
Has the previous owner used the passenger window switch, or some other switch, to disable the aerial?

I have had the radio on before and the aerial did work. Wonder if it's a blown fuse?
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Joesson

Quote from: Chilli Girl on December 17, 2021, 20:27
Quote from: Joesson on December 17, 2021, 20:16Before ( someone else other than me) advises as to the technicalities of what could be wrong I suggest starting from the simplest of things.
Did the radio ever work?

I have had the radio on before and the aerial did work. Wonder if it's a blown fuse?

I doubt it is a fuse as the CD function is working, so the unit is receiving power.
Could you have ( inadvertently ) operated any aerial disable switch?

fawtytoo

Quote from: Joesson on December 17, 2021, 20:31I doubt it is a fuse as the CD function is working, so the unit is receiving power.
@Chilli Girl Did you mean no radio and CD working, or not working at all?

I have a spare. If it comes to that.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Chilli Girl

Yeh, no radio at all but CD's working fine. :-\

Carolyn

It's dead. Kaput!  You can put another original one in, but they do seem to be at the end of life now.  I've posted out a couple to folk whose PFL radios have died in the last year.

I'd recommend replacing it with something more up to date.

Don't bother with touchscreen ones, though.  They are not easy to use in that position in the car.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

fawtytoo

My spare is good, fully working. I'll even fit it for you.

Chilli Girl

@fawtytoo - that's really kind of you - how much do you want for it? ;D

fawtytoo

I've been thinking about that. If I sold it on eBay, I doubt I'd get much as nobody really wants them. I've really only kept it as a backup because it still works ok.

So, you can have it for free.

It's the stock Toyota with radio and CD player. It's currently just sat on a shelf indoors. I think it came out of a Rav4.

Can I assume the wiring on your '2 is standard and not tampered with?

Chilli Girl

That's truly very generous. Mine is a pfl Sony which I suspect is the original. Sadly, I have no idea if the wiring has been tampered with. Going by the car I wouldn't be surprised if it has! ::) Well, if the Rav one fits, I'd be very interested. How about if I donate something to the Club for it. Could you hang on til the New Year & we can arrange a meet then please? Thank you very much ;D

fawtytoo

If you already have a stock radio, then mine will fit no problems. Most stock double din Toyota radios seem to have common connectors. Therefore the radios are interchangeable.

I can wait until new year. Whenever you're ready. Although I won't be in the '2 as it's being SORN'd as of January.

fawtytoo

A thought occurred to me. Is your electric aerial broken? When you use the radio, do you hear static? If so, what happens if you tune the radio to a known frequency, then touch a metal coat hanger on the aerial?

carolineasb

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you are pressing the right on button? It's a totally different set up to the fl and I'm sure the cd comes on if you just put a cd in? Not near our pfl just now but I'm sure I've got to think about which button I hit depending on which 2 I'm in
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

Chilli Girl

Yes I'm definitely pushing the right button, it's a very silly small round button towards the bottom right as you look at it and yes you're quite correct the CD player does still play without actually switching the radio on.  I actually prefer the look of the pfl radio to the fisher price in the fl. 

paulj

The sony unit is a SONY WX-C570R.  If you google it you should be able to find an instruction book.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Chilli Girl

Played around with a few buttons and suddenly the aerial went up and my radio was working!  I reckon it was operator error all the time, I hit the tuner button and away it went! ;D

Thank you @fawtytoo but won't require yours now but appreciate you letting me have it for nothing and to fit it, thank you.

Joesson

Quote from: Joesson on December 17, 2021, 20:31
Quote from: Chilli Girl on December 17, 2021, 20:27
Did the radio ever work?

I doubt it is a fuse as the CD function is working, so the unit is receiving power.

Enough said!

Tags: