Toyota SC14 supercharger

Started by Petrus, January 28, 2023, 14:31

Petrus

This older Rootes type supercharger can be found on Amazon quite cheaply. Using the coupon I could have one at my door, shipping & taxes included for 550€.
https://hydemotorworks.com/about-the-supercharger/

I have measured several times and thínk it should fit under the alternator where the AC pump sits. This is also a location which gets relatively a lot of cooling air flow.

If only at low boost it should not create thermal challenges yet it would add some instant grunt. Ok, not car changing but then would not cost turbo/Rotrex money either.

Yet it seems nobody has tried this. That seems odd so what is the catch? What am I missing??

Joesson

@Petrus  said:
What am I missing??

Many things in your search for added lightness and imminently, you tell us, your rag top!
The super chargers I am aware of were fitted by @Carolyn and @1979scotte, neither now with their original owners.
I believe Carolyn utilised a Mini super charger requiring some extensive pipe work because the unit was fitted at the rear of the engine.
( Unfortunately our " Search" doesn't help if using super charger and Carolyn as the reference!)
That this has affiliation with other Toyota models should give grounds for optimism, but, as you say, why has this been missed?
The 12 kg  plus the plumbing of course will be contrary to your previous  ethos but could prove beneficial in the  power/ added kilo stakes.
I do hope someone can help with  this.

Carolyn

It's the plumbing that gets you.  Making the inlet work from that position means ditching the inlet manifold. Putting it in the the idler pulley position solves that but creates and exhaust routing problem.

With the Rotrex the inlet ends up in the muck and bullets under the car. 

We considered every possible position, short of butchering the firewall.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Petrus

Thanks for the responses.

The adding lightness will contnue @Joesson  ;) 

Make it 20 kilos for the install but the extra oompf of say 30 hp would greatly offset it yes. Also it is all relative because de deletes/mods planned are 10 kg more or is that less?  ;)
It is not only thát though because the engine need quite a lot of the extra oompf to drive the thing.
But that is a diferent issue.

The Rotrex @Carolyn and me having deleted the AC pump keeps pointing me into that space  ::)

but indeed the plumbing  :o   
The filter location of Rotrex install is a nono for me.

I would prefer to keep the OEM intake; both fliter box and throttle/manifold. Sofar not seen a lightened path for neither the in nor the out of the SC.
The only way down to / up fro the SC is at the left side; so down and back up here;´

Anyway, can´t ´see´ it.
Thus on the backburner while adding lightness stays the main idea. Still aiming to beat an F1 car both tanked up,

Carolyn

It's been done FFS!!!

An additional 45hp. 

I worked with a Rotrex on Scotte's V6.  It went in AC pump location too.  Not impressed with the set-up though.

I've still got one mounting kit that we made for the Eaton M45.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Petrus

Quote from: Carolyn on January 28, 2023, 18:00It's been done FFS!!!

I know and you know I know.
The TRD supercharger kit for the 1ZZ-FE was installed on at least two in the US too. Imo the most elegant option with hardly any plumbing involved but those are not availeable.

Mounting one on the exhaust side is no option or I would have gone for your kit.

QuoteI worked with a Rotrex on Scotte's V6.  It went in AC pump location too.  Not impressed with the set-up though.

Also the Rotrex combines the mechanical drive with centrifugal pressure generation. As elegant as the thing itself is, I think not for the MR2.

Anyway, basically the answer to why no Toyota SC14? is ´plumbing´.

Gibla

My 2 cents worth fwiw

The Eaton SC does give a noticeable(and addictive) extra shove of circa 45bhp, for plumbing simplicity though + imo. a simpler 'solution' is to upgrade the exhaust ....maybe nowhere remotely close to a 45bhp improvement, but possibly a useful 10-15 can be gained along with a good weight saving over stock exhaust.

but, it will be interesting to read of any sc alternative solutions you may peruse + attempt.
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Petrus

Quote from: Gibla on January 28, 2023, 19:22for plumbing simplicity though + imo. a simpler 'solution' is to upgrade the exhaust ....maybe nowhere remotely close to a 45bhp improvement, but possibly a useful 10-15 can be gained along with a good weight saving over stock exhaust.

but, it will be interesting to read of any sc alternative solutions you may peruse + attempt.

peruse the amuse

and because well muffled it goes with decat mid pipe.
Including the header deleted some 15 kilos and freed up all the ponies that enter through the derestricted intake with MAF mod.
Amused indeed  8)

Petrus

Beejeezus.... :o
I think I would spend about 1200€ all in on it. Less than 1500.
Was just looking at prices for puppies. Speaking of prices BC and AC, well, thát has gone NÚTS here: During the really locked down lock down, people could not go anywhere in any way. One coúld go walk the dog though so... you get it. Prices have stayed up as always. And raising a puppy does not just happen either; Makes the SC14 look more attractive still  O:-)

Petrus

Meanwhile found a map of the SC14 aka TX15

Tags: