Westway MT90 Gearbox oil

Started by MrChris, February 8, 2023, 15:12

MrChris

JB21

Ive used Westway Ford DSG gear oil in my mothers Mondeo and its been absolutely fine 40k miles on.

Dev

Being a GL4 oil is good so it does not harm yellow metals but I do not like that its a synthetic "blend" which is double speak for mainly mineral oil with a little synthetic oil which can range from 5-10%. The Redline is pure synthetic oil.
 Better than Redline MT90 I found Amsoil GL4 which you can get in the UK to be worth it especially for cold shifting performance.
https://bofiracing.co.uk/servicing/lubricants/gear-oil/amsoil-75w-90-gl4-transmission-oil-easy-pack-946ml/

JB21

Quote from: Dev on February  8, 2023, 16:59Being a GL4 oil is good so it does not harm yellow metals but I do not like that its a synthetic "blend" which is double speak for mainly mineral oil with a little synthetic oil which can range from 5-10%. The Redline is pure synthetic oil.
 Better than Redline MT90 I found Amsoil GL4 which you can get in the UK to be worth it especially for cold shifting performance.
https://bofiracing.co.uk/servicing/lubricants/gear-oil/amsoil-75w-90-gl4-transmission-oil-easy-pack-946ml/

Yeah I wouldn't be using a blend in the C series, didn't see that. The Ford powershift gear i used was a full synthetic.

That amsoil looks good, and cheaper than Redline.

Dev

Quote from: JB21 on February  8, 2023, 17:47Yeah I wouldn't be using a blend in the C series, didn't see that. The Ford powershift gear i used was a full synthetic.

That amsoil looks good, and cheaper than Redline.

In my opinion and that of others the Amsoil is a better formulation and I suspect it flows better. This has always been an issue with MT90 so Redline recommends adding a mixture proportion of MT90 with their MTL product to thin it out depending on the conditions and the type of transmission.

I have also noticed more positive shifts with Amsoil because it has the correct viscosity and friction that is important to lock up the synchronizers at the right timings. 

Dev

Every time a topic of gear or motor oil comes up I do a search to find more current information.
 There are things I do not like about this video but it demonstrates the cold viscosity issues with Redline gear oils. Although this is comparing GL5 the only difference should be the EP sulfur containing additives to make it a GL5 but apart from that I think the same or similar result would happen if you compared GL4 products. This cold viscosity test is important because most of the cumulative damage to the transmission occurs when it's cold and needs adequate splash lubrication to reach the gears and bearings. The quicker the oil flows even when warm the longer your transmission will last.

tets

I bought Fuchs Titan race GL4 fully synth - seems perfect for the job and loads cheaper than Redline! (or it was when I last bought it)

JB21

Gone with the Amsoil GL4 @Dev recommended, ordered 3 quarts for £51 delivered.

This is to replace my 2 year/16 track days old Redline MT-90 which is feeling a little tired.

https://www.carservicepacks.co.uk/product/amsoil-manual-transmission-gear-lube/?attribute_pa_size=3-x-1-us-quarts

Dev

Quote from: JB21 on March  6, 2023, 13:47Gone with the Amsoil GL4 @Dev recommended, ordered 3 quarts for £51 delivered.

This is to replace my 2 year/16 track days old Redline MT-90 which is feeling a little tired.

https://www.carservicepacks.co.uk/product/amsoil-manual-transmission-gear-lube/?attribute_pa_size=3-x-1-us-quarts

Let me know how you like it. I have to do mine soon.

Dev

Quote from: Anon on March  6, 2023, 15:58I'm starting to feel like this MT-90 isn't very good for these gearboxes, even though its preached everywhere on t'internetz.
I think its too thin and slippy, it think something thicker and stickier would be better for the syncros to grip and speed up the shaft.

The problem comes from the slip additives that are used to make them LSD compatible for various makes. Too much and the synchronizer slips. The biggest problem with the Redline MT-90 is its flow characteristics before it gets heated up and it leaves behind deposits. The only good thing about the MT-90 is its ester base oil which is shear resistant but I believe PAO base stock is better for our application. 
 I have found that MT-90 goes tired after two seasons of street driving which is still good but not as good when it was new. The Amsoil is just the opposite with excellent cold performance and synchronizer engagement. It also lasts a lot longer as I am on season 5 and I have no issues but I am replacing it for good measure.

Tags: