Leaving the '2 for a couple of weeks - security

Started by Anonymous, September 9, 2005, 12:52

Anonymous

Heartbreaking as it is, I'm going abroad for a couple of weeks and am going to have leave the '2 all locked up, cold and undriven in my garage.

The garage and the car will be locked tight (including interior bolts on the garage door), and I'll put a steering wheel lock which covers the whole wheel on (in case of a visit from a little Ned who hasn't heard of an immobiliser). I'll also leave all the house/garage/car keys with the a keyholder in a different house.

Anyone else got any tips for security when leaving the '2 behind for a couple of weeks?

I recently spoke to a Crime Prevention Officer at a car show and he told me that the majority of burglaries are now creeper burglaries where the wee bugger is looking for a set of car keys to a tasty motor he has seen on the driveway, so using a garage is an excellent step.

He also told me that it is still not advisable to open fire on a car thief. Spoilsport!

philster_d

Appart from all that ???

I guess you could weld the garage door shut   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kanujunkie

could be worth while leaving the battery on trickle charge
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "kanujunkie"could be worth while leaving the battery on trickle charge

Yeah, in the keyholders house.

Lets see the little scrote try to drive it away without any battery.   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Simon

kanujunkie

and if you really want to be sure, disconnect the top 2 plugs on the ECU, it'll turn over, but never ever start  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Change a few of your house light bulbs to low energy and have them on random timers.

We are going away for a week and have 4 random timer lights in the house.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "cstevens"Change a few of your house light bulbs to low energy and have them on random timers.

We are going away for a week and have 4 random timer lights in the house.

might do that myself, good idea
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

We have two uplighters (Ikea with lowengegies) and timer plugs.  We also have two of the light switch timers.

We also have a sensor front light that stays on for half and hour, and flood lights over the back garden and garage.

Lighting is the biggest detterent advised by the police.

Anonymous

Cheers for the replies.

I'm using timer switches for lamps at the moment but will change to random ones some time as they seem like a better idea.

We've got sensor lights around the house also and a good alarm so if anything any wee thief toerag will have to work in bright light with an alarm blaring.

I've also got aan autodialler waiting to be fitting, which is the dogs bits as it can contact your mobile if the alarm is tripped and is cheaper than an alarm monitoring company (ie, free!)

I like the sound of the smoke device I read about a while ago: fills the house/car with harmless (boooo!!) smoke which takes a while to clear and means the wee tea-leaf can't see what he's doing.

Also, your PCs webcam can easily be adapted to email images to your remote account if it senses movement. Gotcha!

heathstimpson

I generally leave the front outside and landing etc lights on along with a few random timers throughout. The best idea is ask the neighbours to keep an eye on things for you; you can't beat that security.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "hibbyni"Cheers for the replies.

I'm using timer switches for lamps at the moment but will change to random ones some time as they seem like a better idea.

I always go for timer, rather than random, set one in the bedroom for 9-11pm, and one in the study for 6-9pm.

I've always figured random would be better, but for the fact that it'd look a tad strange lights going on and off at 3am in the morning etc.

What I really want is a set of X10 controllers, and maybe set them for random within specified ranges.

Just my 2p's worth thinking if I were casing a joint.

Tags: