under dash sub

Started by Anonymous, November 15, 2005, 20:55

Anonymous

fitting some speakers behind the seats. the 2 side compartments that you can remove for extra space in the cubby holes seems the best, i was thinking of putting them back in the car, cutting holes in them and fitting them in those. has anyone else done this?

edit, renamed this thread seens its gone into sub talk

Slacey

Yep, plenty of people including myself - it works well too. See my thread here -  m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1200 m
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

no i mean inside the cubby holes, to the sides (cut into the parts you can remove for extra space)

Slacey

Ah, sorry. I don't think anyone has attempted that - also those bits are rather flimsy, I reckon add some weight to them and they would constantly fall out unless you added some additional mounting points. Also, with the cubby doors shut would you really hear them?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

kanujunkie

with the doors shut it'll sound muffled to hell, unless your dumping the doors that'll never work, sorry to be blunt
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

yeah i know it'll be muffled, but surely i can use those back speakers as a sub then? it'll sound more bass-y with it being muffled

kanujunkie

Quote from: "razorsharp192"yeah i know it'll be muffled, but surely i can use those back speakers as a sub then? it'll sound more bass-y with it being muffled

no you cant, muffleing a component wont give you the bass frequencies of a sub, it'll sound dead and dull. There is no replacement for a sub, they have a lot larger stroke in there movement and a larger surface area to move the air required for those low frequencies
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

I suppose you could replace the side panels with some flat bits of MDF or ply, that use the standard attachments (you'd need them removable if you have a hardtop, as you have to get to the rear window heater wire there), then cut most of the main doors away and cover them in acoustically transparent material - then you'd maintain the storage area and get good sound, too.

Assuming you can find a way of attaching bits of wood where the side inner panels used to be.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

or you could build one of these

its going back in this arvo following the softop install
[size=100]Stu[/size]

edward.carter

Mmmmmmm   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

yeah i actually want to be able to use the storage bins though

i'll give my idea a go i think, if it sounds crap i'll just take them out, cause i've not got the side panels in at the mo anyway so it doesnt matter if i wreck them

kanujunkie

Quote from: "razorsharp192"yeah i actually want to be able to use the storage bins though

i'll give my idea a go i think, if it sounds crap i'll just take them out, cause i've not got the side panels in at the mo anyway so it doesnt matter if i wreck them

i can as well, i've got a spare set of doors for the bins and i can swap them over in 10mins, i've got a trip on the amps so 1 press and i can pull the speakers out and put in the blank doors. problem sorted
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

sounds like far too much effort to me. i'll give my idea a go with some little subs in either side, see how it sounds

Anonymous

Will the std Fischer Price cope with adding rear speakers then? what is the recommended wattage that can be used without amplifying?

I hav ebought the Focals for the front, but would like a nice set of speakers to fit into the bins, any reccomendations & prices?

Thanks,
Chris.

LeeUK

Waste of time mate, if you want a sub sound you have to give up some of you storage space for a sealed box for the subs else they won't work properly.  The only other solution is an under dash sub sub box.  I personally, if I was going to fit another sub would go for a fiber glass box like buster had in the rear bin with either an 8-inch rainbow or focal sub (focal is louder apparently).  I wouldn't waste my money on trying to fit subs in those corner bits of plastic as they won't fit, they're not sealed and even if they were sealled they would never have enough air volume within the box to work well (it's all about the volume of the box  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).  

I hope this helps, going on the fact you do not wish to sacrifice space I would fit an under dash sub (I may make one at some stage when I have some free time!)

I've had some 6x9's sitting in a box for a while, they're the new Alpine type R's.  They're pretty good speakers, look rather cool too!  I've fitted them in the rear doors.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "LeeUK"Waste of time mate, if you want a sub sound you have to give up some of you storage space for a sealed box for the subs else they won't work properly.  The only other solution is an under dash sub sub box.  
I didn't want to loose storage space so fitted decent door speakers (Boston Acoustics) , under dash sub, on amp under the rear plastic feeding the sub, and one on top of the plastic for the door speakers. This takes the space taken by the jack which is now in the front with the wheel and it sounds sweet  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

aaronjb

I have an unused UD Jr enclosure, too  s;) ;) s;)  (Under dash enclosure to take a JL 6W0 sub)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

heathstimpson

Quote from: "aaronjb"I have an unused UD Jr enclosure, too  s;) ;) s;)  (Under dash enclosure to take a JL 6W0 sub)
Snap this up as they are a great bit of kit  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

kanujunkie

have a read

m http://www.diysubwoofers.org/faq.htm m

just a few basics of building a descent sub unit and what happens if its in too small a space
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Liz

How much for the sub Aaron sweeedie?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

is there a "make your own under dash sub" tutorial somewhere? so its the right size/shape etc?

ps i'm 2nd in line for the sub if its for sale!  s:D :D s:D

aaronjb

Quote from: "Liz"How much for the sub Aaron sweeedie?

Bearing in mind it was £180 new I think, and it's not been out of the box. Oh - remember it's driver-less (I never got around to buying the sub to go in it, so it's just the enclosure), when it was up for sale earlier this year I said £150.. There were no takers, though, and since it's you - make me an offer  s:) :) s:)

Quote from: "razorsharp192"is there a "make your own under dash sub" tutorial somewhere? so its the right size/shape etc?

I don't think so - not that I've seen anyway.. the company making them kept their design a pretty closely guarded secret (and they were expensive, as you can see). There was talk of someone else starting to make them, but I don't think that ever got off the ground.

Anonymous

cant one just be made from mdf? if you've got one can you please take some measurements?

s:D :D s:D

Liz

Quote from: "razorsharp192"cant one just be made from mdf? if you've got one cant you take some measurements?
Please?

Aaron I will pm you my dear!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

If you do a search for under dash sub you'll come across a post which contains both pictures and dimensions.<VBG>  I would provide you with the link but I don't know how.

Tags: