under dash sub

Started by Anonymous, November 15, 2005, 20:55

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Moleshome"I would provide you with the link but I don't know how.

go to the post you want to link to, then copy the URL from the address bar and post it here
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Anonymous

ah ok, looks easy enough, i'll make one myself. couple of questions though..

how is it mounted under the dash?

do i need to put any holes in it anywhere for the air to flow? how many? where and how big?

Ernie Ball

There's a guy on Spyderchat who makes UD sub boxes.  He seems to think  that the boxes he makes wouldn't fit a RHD '2.  However, if we had the measurements of a box that we know does fit a RHD '2, he'd probably be willing to do a GB over here.

Here's the thread over there:

m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=25211 m

Anonymous

$235 + $20 shipping and handling !!

christ, it'd only cost about £6 for the wood, i'll make my own

Ernie Ball

That's actually a reasonable price as these things go.

Anonymous

hmm, if i can make these then i might have to make a few more. just need to know the answers to the questions posted above then i can get making one

oh, also, on the pics of that one in the other thread theres metal bits (look like bolts, but from the shots of the inside there's no need for them??)sticking out the sides, and 2 blue (plastic?) things on the front, what are they?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"That's actually a reasonable price as these things go.

ITYM That's as big a rip-off as the commercially available ones.

You're looking at £2-3 of MDF, £0.60 for the speaker connections, £0.50 for silicone sealant, glue etc., £1 for carpeting, £1 for threaded rod, nuts etc., call it £6 total for materials.

For the price they're asking you could buy the tools as well and still be in profit.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Moleshome"
Quote from: "Ernie Ball"That's actually a reasonable price as these things go.

ITYM That's as big a rip-off as the commercially available ones.

You're looking at £2-3 of MDF, £0.60 for the speaker connections, £0.50 for silicone sealant, glue etc., £1 for carpeting, £1 for threaded rod, nuts etc., call it £6 total for materials.

For the price they're asking you could buy the tools as well and still be in profit.
You're correct but you're paying for the amount of time it took to get this baby to fit under the dash. I'm an engineer and Grant (who ran the GB) is a super engineer but realised the effort put in to get this right. I was willing to pay for this great design. You can say this about anything bought in the shops. I work for Kodak and you don't want to know what it really costs to produce film, photographic paper etc compared to what you pay when you order an enlargement  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

aaronjb

Quote from: "Moleshome"You're looking at £2-3 of MDF

You do both realise that the US ones are fibreglass, not MDF (hence the complicated shape that utilises all of the available space), right?

Still, if you want to start making them and selling them for £7 a throw, go for it - people will be grateful (though you might begrudge selling your time for £1 for Xhrs).
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

I don't expect them to be sold at cost but the markup on these is taking the pi$$.

Anyone producing copies of the Musical touch one has no development costs and the total development costs for the glass fibre one is a polythene bag and a can of expanding foam.

Ernie Ball

If you want to start making them and selling them for half that price, I'm sure you'd make yourself a tidy sum.

Anonymous

Hey I'm loving the spirit on this post. All I can say is "Bulldog breed"  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

started making mine today, got all the wood cut and got some parts on, the glue's drying at the mo, looking good though. i'll take some pics tomorrow   s:) :) s:)  

i've got enough wood to make another one, would anyone be interested and how much are you willing to pay?

Anonymous

Quote from: "razorsharp192"how much are you willing to pay?
£8?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "IHateJam"
£8?
Worth a little more than that me thinks  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "IHateJam"
£8?
Worth a little more than that me thinks  s:? :? s:?
I thought that was generous, he gets £2 labour then   s:D :D s:D

Tags: