Which brace?

Started by mdw, May 3, 2019, 18:46

Snelbaard

So recently I bought a TRD front under brace and because I couldn't help myself, I strengthened it somewhat:

If I'm going to make my own braces, they're going to be of a slightly different design. To give you a bit of a preview of what they'd look like, I spent a million hours in paint with the following result:

PS: @Carolyn, have you had a chance to take a look at those brackets yet?
Follow me on instagram for all my Spyder products @snelbaard

Carolyn

Not yet, I'm afraid.

OK... 3 mm on the one I have.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Snelbaard

They're now almost all done, off to the powder coater's on tuesday!

Nvy

Quote from: Snelbaard on October 19, 2019, 19:00They're now almost all done, off to the powder coater's on tuesday!

Any ideas on pricing? I want one for sure.

Snelbaard

That's great to hear! I'm going to have to get back to you on that, I still have to calculate it all. Won't be long.

househead

Looks great, loving your work!
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

mr2yaj

any update on this?

Snelbaard

mr2yaj

Quote from: Snelbaard on April 25, 2020, 12:57Yes, they're for sale here:

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=68434.0

when I click on the link it says "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."
Maybe I can't access it since I am a new member?

Is there an email that I can contact you through?

Snelbaard

I'll PM the relevant information.

Snelbaard

Quotewhen I click on the link it says "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."
Maybe I can't access it since I am a new member?

Is there an email that I can contact you through?

I'll PM you with the relevant information

Petrus

Stumbled on a foto from the engine bay of the last version of the Spirit car.
Look at the rear strut brace they went back to....

shnazzle

Quote from: Petrus on May  5, 2020, 18:26Stumbled on a foto from the engine bay of the last version of the Spirit car.

I've run with, without, with different one, with different + stock... Guess how much difference I noticed? 

Makes sense. Stock one does the job fine and doesn't block as much access to engine
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on May  5, 2020, 20:15
Quote from: Petrus on May  5, 2020, 18:26Stumbled on a foto from the engine bay of the last version of the Spirit car.

I've run with, without, with different one, with different + stock... Guess how much difference I noticed?

Makes sense. Stock one does the job fine and doesn't block as much access to engine

It obviously works, it´s light, it´s simple; what´s not to like.

mr9

Unlike the front the rear struts are already connected by the body extremely close so I've never seen the advantage of a rear strut brace

Topdownman

I have heard it suggested that the rear brace may be there to stiffen up the firewall to help with the roof mechanism operation.

No idea if its true but the brace is so flimsy that I can see the reasoning.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Petrus

Quote from: Topdownman on May  6, 2020, 12:25I have heard it suggested that the rear brace may be there to stiffen up the firewall to help with the roof mechanism operation.

No idea if its true but the brace is so flimsy that I can see the reasoning.

There have been and still are bicycles with thin wire cables as the major load bearing part of the frame.
´Flimsy´ on itself says nothing.

Petrus

Quote from: mr9 on May  6, 2020, 12:00Unlike the front the rear struts are already connected by the body extremely close so I've never seen the advantage of a rear strut brace

They don´t brace the struts.
The engine bay is like a square box without bottom or top. The engine does nothing as it hangs in rubbers and the subframe sits forward.
The X-race effectively stiffens up the box and take the forces together in both compression and extension in their 2D plane as that is the only plane the box will flex in.

Tags: