Sft top

Started by Jimmy2, March 19, 2023, 06:53

Jimmy2

Hi Jimmy2 here thanks for accepting  me
I have 1999 mr2 roadster 
Yes roof  leaking. Think its neeà :) ds replacement.
Iam in Preston  and dont know anyone. Repairs  or replacement
God bless
Thanking you  j

Call the midlife!

Welcome, this sounds like a stupid question but what makes you think it's leaking?
If there's water in the storage bins it's probably the drains that are blocked, rather than the actual roof itself.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Carolyn

If it is leaking the least expensive option is Jack Smith Trimmers in Swansea.  He has a long waiting list.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Ardent

Hello and welcome.

Any pics of the roof?

The drain exits are located behind the side vents.
Bit of gentle persuasion required.

Bcxbcx

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March 19, 2023, 07:51Welcome, this sounds like a stupid question but what makes you think it's leaking?
If there's water in the storage bins it's probably the drains that are blocked, rather than the actual roof itself.
In addition to this the "pockets" (don't know what else to call them) above the drains, that are part of the roof, can fold flat and stay flat. This causes water to enter the cabin, typically the storage behind the seats.
2000 W PFL in black

Gibla

If the roof does need complete replacement

Carolynne already gave you the 'best' option ie guy in Swansea < new roof but a lengthy waiting list

alternatively and possibly quicker and cheaper ...but subject to availability(sometimes no stock for weeks)

is to try the likes of J-Spec or Dick Sloan

who sometimes have vg 2nd hand offerings
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Bcxbcx on March 19, 2023, 11:14In addition to this the "pockets" (don't know what else to call them) above the drains, that are part of the roof, can fold flat and stay flat. This causes water to enter the cabin, typically the storage behind the seats.
Officially, if you're ever trying to source any Toyota call them "side gate seals" if I remember right.

Jimmy2

Hi thanks.passenger side behind seat get flooded  the rest is  ok .Jimmy

Call the midlife!

Sounds very much like the drain is blocked, if you search for how to unblock it on here you'll see how easy it is to sort out yourself 👍🏻

Jimmy2

Hi got vent off passenger side  it was clear now cannot get it  back  on lol
Drivers side clogged
Anyone  near Preston  or I can travel to  for help advice
Thanks jim

Ardent

Bit of a stab in the dark.
But I think the trick is to remove the clips that are often left attached to the body.
Attach them to the vent then replace the vent.

I think.

Edit
how to
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=12582.0

Topdownman

Welcome.

You need to poke a bit of wire into the drain behind the flap now the side vent is off. You also need to clear the drain pocket from above and remove any debris in there. Once its clear, you should be able to pour water into the drain pocket above and see it all drain out quickly into the cill. There is a youtube video by Andrew Sparey showing how to do this.

You should also consider taking out the seats, rear bins and peeling forward the carpet to dry out the under carpet if that has got wet as the carpet is plastic-backed so will never dry underneath and could start to rust the floor from the inside (this is not as important as fixing the problem of the blocked drains though).

Blocked drains is a problem that come back occasionally but not a problem once you know how to do it.

Plastic trim removal tools are good for getting the side vents off and a bit of spray lube can help get them out and back in.

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Jimmy2

Be honest I have essential tremors. Which makes life hard I will check out video 
Thanking you j

Jimmy2

??? Silly question  if I take roadster  to Swansea. How did you guys get on do I drive down leave car.and travel bbk to Preston. Then bbk to swansea?
Or should I  use Shipley  transport
Silly Jimmy 2

Chilli Girl

Hi Jimmy. The whole process takes abt 4 hours or so, wait & have a wander. It may take longer if you get chatting ;)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Topdownman

Quote from: Jimmy2 on March 29, 2023, 17:05??? Silly question  if I take roadster  to Swansea. How did you guys get on do I drive down leave car.and travel bbk to Preston. Then bbk to swansea?
Or should I  use Shipley  transport
Silly Jimmy 2

Plenty of people stay overnight the night before for a mini-break! I would not think it worth it to have it transported there and back as that used to be at least £1 per mile, bet its much more than that these days.

The car should be ready by 2pm the following day if they do you first, they only need it for about 4-5 hrs probably. They have a big waiting list and its hard to get hold of them by phone at times so best to get on the list asap, you can always cancel if you change your mind, they will just pass your spot on to someone else.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Jimmy2

8) thanks guys your  brilliant.
Think I will make arrangements. And do over night I have week off april
Many many thanks Jimmy 2

Chilli Girl

I don't think you're get in for April somehow :-\
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Call the midlife!

Not wanting to burst your bubble but you need to prepare yourself for a let down as far as April goes, I wouldn't imagine you can get in before the end of this year if his usual waiting list is anything to go by.

paulj

If you've cleaned out the drains you will now know whether you still have a water problem.  Either the roof as you thought or perhaps the drainage bags that lead to the drain hole.  A new Swansea roof will have a wating list for a few months but if you have that planned, a good short term fix for either is stormseal tent and coat seam sealer.  Get some of that where you know water leaks and perhaps use it to glue some patches to the roof where it needs it.  Not hugely pretty but will keep things dry.

If you use stormseal products use the disposable gloves in the pack.  Should it get on your skin it is waterproof and trying to wash it off with soap makes it stick firmer (dont ask how i know this)
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Tags: