emanage support tool

Started by tets, May 8, 2024, 18:45

tets

having an issue connecting a Virtualbox Win98 to the laptop.

background is an old Win 7 laptop (which runs well) with Virtualbox and Win 98 running.
Had issues trying to get it to see the USB (which IT at work fixed)

Plugged it in, opened a blank map with injectors changed to 320cc to get it started.
Everything looked good, Greddy software said online so saved and tried to fire it - nothing!

Noticed a lot of things were now greyed out including settings (which I'd previously used to change the injector size)

Anyway got home and the software still says online and everything is greyed out (pic attached)

Any ideas - possibly one for @shnazzle

Next one is to clean the laptop and load win 98 onto it

I do have a vid but can't upload it - I'll have a look (I am a bit technologically retarded at times)

You cannot view this attachment.

tets

shnazzle

1. Where'd the emanage come from? Another MR2?
2. Guessing you tried with the injectors set to 170? Unless you have 320s of course. Even then it should still fire at least, fumble and die.
3. What kind of wiring? Boomslang or self-wired?
...neutiquam erro.

tets

Quote from: shnazzle on May  8, 2024, 22:441. Where'd the emanage come from? Another MR2?
2. Guessing you tried with the injectors set to 170? Unless you have 320s of course. Even then it should still fire at least, fumble and die.
3. What kind of wiring? Boomslang or self-wired?

Hi Patrick

Sorry, should have said I'd tagged you as I got it from you with the harness - I don't think it's anything to do with the unit but the Win98 virtual machine.

When we first installed it the comms ports were greyed out but I could set displacement (1794cc) and parameter settings (so 260 - 320cc) and I saved that blank map with just those settings changed. We then added USB drivers to Win98 but now all 3 comms ports state online before I plug the main unit in hence I don't think it added the map.

I have 2ZZ yellow injectors - the latest spec is on my most recent readers rides!

Never "messed" with a piggyback so not sure what to expect - I also couldn't find anywhere to check which map is already on the unit which then convinced me iy hadn't connected properly.

cheers
Steve

fawtytoo

Quote from: tets on May  8, 2024, 18:45Next one is to clean the laptop and load win 98 onto it
I very much doubt Windows 98 will work directly on a Windows 7 computer. It won't have drivers for most of the hardware.

Persevere with the VM. Do you have any other USB hardware that you can test with to try and rule out communication issues? A USB drive perhaps and preferably nothing USB 3.0.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

tets

Quote from: fawtytoo on May  9, 2024, 18:31I very much doubt Windows 98 will work directly on a Windows 7 computer. It won't have drivers for most of the hardware.

Persevere with the VM. Do you have any other USB hardware that you can test with to try and rule out communication issues? A USB drive perhaps and preferably nothing USB 3.0.

Prior to installing new drivers onto the win98 it would see a usb mouse ok but the Greddy software had the comms ports greyed out. I could change parameters / maps etc
Post installing the drivers the comms ports were black but it thought the main unit was plugged in and said online even though it wasn't. I also lost the ability to change parameters / maps etc.
Our IT department are struggling (I'm not that tech savvy) to solve it so they are currently looking for really old pc's to install Win98 on.

I'm actually thinking at the minute I might have to go back to green injectors, fit a rising rate fuel regulator using the stock ECU as I'm running out of time.

I'm away this weekend, on holiday for 2 weeks following Saturday and only have 1 weekend when I get back to get mapped, MOT'd, alignment and then the weekend after is Barbon hillclimb which I'm entered in.

bit of a nightmare to be honest

fawtytoo

Where did you get the software? Is it something I can get my hands on easily?

Disregard: I found it.

Version 2.3 works on Windows 7 32 bit.

tets

Quote from: fawtytoo on May  9, 2024, 19:08Where did you get the software? Is it something I can get my hands on easily?

Disregard: I found it.

Version 2.3 works on Windows 7 32 bit.

Virtualbox, win 98 or Greddy?

fawtytoo

Quote from: tets on May  9, 2024, 19:18Virtualbox, win 98 or Greddy?
For Greddy. I've PM'd you.

shnazzle

I had it running on my Linux laptop using Wine so it's not too bad really
...neutiquam erro.

tets

tets

Quote from: shnazzle on May  9, 2024, 19:26I had it running on my Linux laptop using Wine so it's not too bad really

Unfortunately I don't have a Linux laptop but I do have loads of wine  ;D

I'll get there Patrick, just a bit short of time!

Call the midlife!

I'm sure you know but if you go RR fuel regulator you'll need to modify the fuel rail and blank off the OEM regulator in the pump, plus fit the return fuel line.
None of that is a two minute job so be ready 🤓
60% of the time it works everytime...

tets

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May  9, 2024, 21:04I'm sure you know but if you go RR fuel regulator you'll need to modify the fuel rail and blank off the OEM regulator in the pump, plus fit the return fuel line.
None of that is a two minute job so be ready 🤓

I have a return and external fuel pump / filter already fitted hence the fairly quick solution. I have a RR regulator but no idea of its origins (probably cheap eBay) so would need a new one.
I suppose I could revisit the emanage at a later date but don't like being defeated!

fawtytoo

Quote from: tets on May  9, 2024, 05:10We then added USB drivers to Win98 but now all 3 comms ports state online
A though had occurred to me that although you've installed the drivers for the software in Windows 98, should there also be drivers installed on the host Windows 7? I don't know if USB devices work in VM's if they don't in the host. Have you checked the device manager in Windows 7?

Tags: