Corkys like breastplate

Started by FuZZy_gr, January 1, 2010, 09:22

FuZZy_gr

Hello and happy new year to all!! i have made a custom breastplate like corkys but a little more reinforced. Yesterday i finished painting it and today im gonna put it on and give it a test ride to see the results.

MR 2ster

Looks good...nice to see some DIY!!

How is it more reinforced though? the Corky's uses triangular sections to reinforce the cross beams which is surely stronger than just a plate?

Or have you used a different material?

kentsmudger

Quote from: "MR 2ster"How is it more reinforced though? the Corky's uses triangular sections to reinforce the cross beams which is surely stronger than just a plate?

This one is angle all round the outside though, where the Corky's one is flat.

[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

markiii

but corkies is 6mm thick
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Good effort,looks great.

Anonymous

Yes, good effort, although you would have been better using channel section instead of angle   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   You will find this design flexing too much because of this.

ChrisGB

The key function of bracing the floorpan is to join the floor either side of the tunnel. The Corkys setup is pretty much optimum for resisting the shearing force that results as the floorpan tries to flex. The triagulation and welded on angle pieces help "close the box" structurally.

The diy item is a commendable effort that could make a noticeable improvement. Look forward to hearing how it works out. If it needs more rigidity the diagonals could be further stiffened with a couple of angle pieces.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

FuZZy_gr

Quote from: "markiii"but corkies is 6mm thick
I used the same thickness in mine(6mm). It really made the steering more sharp i like it very much. I can add some metal to make it more rigid but i think its ok because the metal it thick enough. I definetly believe that Corkys is a very good product but i wanted to have the happiness of the creation  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

philster_d

I like the square. One thing is, its the part on my car that used to catch on speed bumps so hopefuly the edges wont get too damaged.

I guess you may not have that problem in Greece.

Orea.   s:) :) s:)

Philster.

ad_car_08

FuZZy_gr - how much angle metal did you use to make this? My brother is quite handy with a welder, and has 3mm thick metal lying about his garage that he said he'd happily donate, but I fear it'll be way too thin to be able give any kind of rigidity as a brace, so am looking at how much materials would cost!
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

markiii

ebay of all places doesn't seem that bad for bits of metal as most places just sell there offcuts
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

OlberJ

You can get angle iron cheap enough in BnQ by the metre.

I'll be giving this a go myself soon. I seem to remember the dimensions kicking about somewhere? What did you use mate?
Black 1MZ V6 - TTE Springs - 17" wheels - F355 exhaust - LSD and ST182 FD - aka Black Bob Jnr

http://www.olbermotive.com

ad_car_08

Quote from: "OlberJ"You can get angle iron cheap enough in BnQ by the metre.

I'll be giving this a go myself soon. I seem to remember the dimensions kicking about somewhere? What did you use mate?

Found it
 m http://www.box.net/shared/0jzj10g4ej m

That's handy to know!  s:D :D s:D
[/size]

dj2k21

Silly question as I know nothing about the techincal side of bracing... but would it not be easier to just put a solid plate underneath the car? or do things get in the way or is it simply a weight saving excercise as to why this is not done?

many thanks
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

ChrisGB

Quote from: "dj2k21"Silly question as I know nothing about the techincal side of bracing... but would it not be easier to just put a solid plate underneath the car? or do things get in the way or is it simply a weight saving excercise as to why this is not done?

many thanks

This would be the best solution from an ease of manufacture point of view. If I were making one, I would start with a 6mm thick aluminium rectangle and just put the 6 holes in the right place. It would provide better stiffening than the angle iron solutions, be easier to make and cost very little. If you wanted to be a bit more creative, you could make it from 12mm ally plate, profile out some triangular sections to save weight and put the bolts in pocketed holes.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ChrisGB"[If you wanted to be a bit more creative, you could make it from 12mm ally plate, profile out some triangular sections to save weight and put the bolts in pocketed holes.

Chris

Isn't that called a skid plate   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

ad_car_08

I presume there's the weight factor of a solid sheet of metal, to think about as well
[/size]

ChrisGB

Quote from: "ad_car_08"I presume there's the weight factor of a solid sheet of metal, to think about as well
Aluminium with weight reduction holes will be stiffer than steel weight for weight.

Chris

OlberJ

Quote from: "ad_car_08"
Quote from: "OlberJ"You can get angle iron cheap enough in BnQ by the metre.

Found it
 m http://www.box.net/shared/0jzj10g4ej m

That's handy to know!  s:D :D s:D

Thankyou sir!
Black 1MZ V6 - TTE Springs - 17" wheels - F355 exhaust - LSD and ST182 FD - aka Black Bob Jnr

http://www.olbermotive.com

ad_car_08

Getting hold of aluminium sheets 6mm thick is proving pretty expensive!  s:-( :-( s:-(   might as well buy a corkeys at this rate!
[/size]

ChrisGB

Quote from: "ad_car_08"Getting hold of aluminium sheets 6mm thick is proving pretty expensive!  s:-( :-( s:-(   might as well buy a corkeys at this rate!

You are looking for a small blank, so stockholders will be expensive. Try your local laser or waterjet profiling shop. If you just want a basic shape / holes and can provide them with a CAD file, you should be able to do it for reasonable money, especially as it is the sort of thing they can make from an offcut from a bigger part.

Chris

uktotty

Aluminium Plate 500mm x 500mm Square x 12mm thickness Grade HE30F / 6082T6 General Engineering Grade of Aluminium. £100!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChrisGB

Quote from: "uktotty"Aluminium Plate 500mm x 500mm Square x 12mm thickness Grade HE30F / 6082T6 General Engineering Grade of Aluminium. £100!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is over twice the size needed and double the thickness. 6082T6 is also an expensive grade. Check out profiling shops. If you can give them a cad file, you may get the whole thing made in 6mm for minimum order charge. The 12mm version would need further work. Advantage of profiling shop is that they can put all holes in. When you buy a small blank, much of the cost is cutting it to size. If you wanted to slum it you could buy some 5083 or 5251.

Chris

ad_car_08

Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "uktotty"Aluminium Plate 500mm x 500mm Square x 12mm thickness Grade HE30F / 6082T6 General Engineering Grade of Aluminium. £100!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is over twice the size needed and double the thickness. 6082T6 is also an expensive grade. Check out profiling shops. If you can give them a cad file, you may get the whole thing made in 6mm for minimum order charge. The 12mm version would need further work. Advantage of profiling shop is that they can put all holes in. When you buy a small blank, much of the cost is cutting it to size. If you wanted to slum it you could buy some 5083 or 5251.

Chris

Ay? According to the designs, the plate needs to be 619inches x 280inches, which by my calculations, equates to 1500(ish)mm x 700(ish)mm?? So the aluminium plate that uktotty found wasn't even half of what you'd need to make a breast plate.

I was finding 2000mm x 1000mm sheets of aluminium for £130 ex p&p, but by the time I bought that, and factor in the price for welding supplies, I figured I might as well just buy a plate off the shelf and save myself the hassle and jiggery pokery to get it to fit
[/size]

ChrisGB

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Lazy cad designer. The information box shows dimensions in "inches (mm)" but the cad designer has neglected to tie up the units. Much of the other stuff in the box is irrelevant too. Why do cad guys do this so often. No wonder stuff is so expensive. Also, 619 x 280 inches is 15.722 x 7.112 Meters, which will foul the wheels and passing traffic and make parking tricky. Actual blank size is 619 x 280mm. No material thickness is specified either, but we do know it should have a maximum surface roughness of 250 Ra.

For anyone not finding that tying up these basics is not obvious, I would suggest that making bits for the car is not what they should be doing.

If I had enough time, or interested parties, I could get some ally ones made up.

Chris

Tags: