Anybody do 3d printing

Started by Jared, September 17, 2023, 13:04

Jared

Hi all, have read on here that the mkiii pipe is good to stop the air restrictions that the oem pipe have.
But it's not something that you see on ebay or anything and I suspect someone made a few and they have been doing the rounds but then came across this.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1514858892/mr2-spyder-restriction-free-intake-pipe

Fits like factory and has option for standard and trumpet style opening.

It's for the 3d design not the part itself but if someone does 3d printing we can get together and sort something out if enough people are interested.

Petrus

no problem

to print that is

the rest.... living in the mountainous heartland of andalucia

Ardent

@Jared

Having just bought and fitted a MKiii pipe. That has made my previous set up now redundant.
I would be willing to sell it for the same price as the link you have provided. £26.95 plus (P+P)
The hose was £23.65 and the air duct - trumpet was £16.23.
That could be in the post to you tomorrow.

Jared

OK I'm up for that, is it easy to connect to the air box

Ardent

Just pushes on to the air box spigot. Pic 1 if zoom in.

Jared

OK how much is postage do you think

Ardent

I will get the rule out to check, but I think the small parcel will be a border line and the medium parcel the safe bet.
You cannot view this attachment.
You cannot view this attachment.

Jared

Ardent

Will go for that.
If get away with small parcel, I'll refund the 2.

Sending pm.

Jared

OK I will sort it tomorrow with you
I've seen you PM so will probably WhatsApp you if you use WhatsApp.

Ardent

Not on WhatsApp

Phone, txt, telegram or signal.

Jared

Quote from: Ardent on September 17, 2023, 20:55Not on WhatsApp

Phone, txt, telegram or signal.

Just fitted it now and it went on fine although I'm thinking should I get a jubilee clip to put on the air box end.
The other thing is I found it hard to put in the correct position with the trumpet on.
Not sure if the trumpet is totally needed but it does look nice, so I might have another go at a later date.

You can see how much larger the pipe is compared to the stock one, I have not driven it yet so will see if it feels any different tomorrow.

Petrus

Quote from: Jared on September 22, 2023, 13:05Just fitted it now and it went on fine although I'm thinking should I get a jubilee clip to put on the air box end.
The other thing is I found it hard to put in the correct position with the trumpet on.
Not sure if the trumpet is totally needed but it does look nice, so I might have another go at a later date.

You can see how much larger the pipe is compared to the stock one, I have not driven it yet so will see if it feels any different tomorrow.

There are two different mods:
1. replace the OEM elbow with a non restricted one; straight replacement.
2. replace the OEM elbow with a non restricted one having a bell mouth. This involves deleting the duct through the wheel well.

2. is what the TRD mod. involves. 
1. is an easier less involved option with just about the same result in more silence.

Ardent

Quote from: Jared on September 22, 2023, 13:05Just fitted it now and it went on fine although I'm thinking should I get a jubilee clip to put on the air box end.

It never moved for me. The grip texture of the silicone against the plastic spigot seemed to be enough. I think a zip tie would be plenty for peace of mind.

Jared

Yeh cable tie is good shout.
Did the mouth end cause any issues for you when finding good placement?

Ardent

I aimed mine down into the void that is the rear left quarter.

By comparison from recent pics @Petrus has his pointing more up. His is slightly different again in that the the open end is 90mm+ rather than 76mm straight.

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on September 22, 2023, 21:56I aimed mine down into the void that is the rear left quarter.

By comparison from recent pics @Petrus has his pointing more up. His is slightly different again in that the the open end is 90mm+ rather than 76mm straight.

Indeed a bell mouthed funnel. Have the duct deleted and put a self tapper through the silicone into the stub on the filterbox.

Tags: