Disable Reverse Alarm

Started by Craigjm, February 6, 2023, 11:28

Craigjm

I have had a look and cant see anything here. Does anyone know if it is possible, and how, to disable the alarm that sounds in reverse? The new audio unit I am looking at comes with a set of reverse sensors on a deal rather than a camera and I would like to use them. Didnt see the point in the camera with the screen being so low down

Topdownman

The alarm is the same one for all warning alarms so if you were to remove/disable it, you would have no warnings for lights/keys/seatbelts. With it having the reverse and first so close together, it is nice to have a warning, just in case!

You can reduce the volume by putting some sellotape over the sounder (and fine tune this by cutting a slit in the sellotape if its too quiet) which helps a little in stopping it being so annoying).

This means that rear parking sensors dont work because you would have 2 alarms sounding at once.

I have a rear view camera on one of my cars and I like it. It doesnt matter that it is low to view as you are only using at the very end of your parking and you are usually creeping by then.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Craigjm

Yeah that was my thought that they wouldn't work together. I was wondering though if there was just some kind of connection to the reverse light switch or something that started the alarm and could be removed.

Do you have a pic of your camera location? I would be happy to use a camera if I could put it somewhere discreet

Topdownman

Quote from: Craigjm on February  6, 2023, 15:20Yeah that was my thought that they wouldn't work together. I was wondering though if there was just some kind of connection to the reverse light switch or something that started the alarm and could be removed.

Do you have a pic of your camera location? I would be happy to use a camera if I could put it somewhere discreet

I bought mine off amazon or ebay a few years ago now, its a universal number plate surround with the camera built in, top and centre. If you zoom in you should be able to see it!

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Gaz mr-s

The reverse beep can be silenced by cutting a wire in the left of the 3 plugs in behind the instrument binnacle.  I can't remember which one.....struggling to find it using google. I'll keep looking.

I can tell you how to stop the beep when the door is opened & key in the ignition though.....

Gaz mr-s

I found a little more, but not 100% definitive. Left plug as you look, - I'mm sure it's the 3rd wire from the left. A description I saw said red or blue.  My vague recollection is it's colour with a stripe, red & blue.  But if you have a multimeter disconnect the plug...(can be stiff) & put the car in reverse & you'll measure 12V.

Craigjm

I'm alright with the other sounds but sounding like a refuse truck when reversing especially with the hood down is awful 🤣 may as well add the phrase "this vehicle is reversing"

Joesson

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on February  6, 2023, 20:44I can tell you how to stop the beep when the door is opened & key in the ignition though.....

Please do.

Gaz mr-s

Take off the steering wheel plastics....left side & flat lower one for sure.  Look at the plugs surrounding the ignition & you'll see on the left at 11 o'oclock I think a plug with only two wires.  The rest have more wires.  Unplug it.   :)

Joesson

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on February  7, 2023, 19:44Take off the steering wheel plastics....left side & flat lower one for sure.  Look at the plugs surrounding the ignition & you'll see on the left at 11 o'oclock I think a plug with only two wires.  The rest have more wires.  Unplug it.   :)

Thank you very much Gaz, that seems easy enough and leaves the door open for an equally easy reversal if wanted.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Joesson on February  7, 2023, 20:24Thank you very much Gaz, that seems easy enough and leaves the door open for an equally easy reversal if wanted.

Welcome....as simple as they get.

Tags: