Alignment question

Started by MrChris, May 27, 2023, 16:18

MrChris

Progress on the 2 is progressing. I'm just trying to figure out if I need more parts or just an alignment.

First: steering wheel is dead centre but the driver's side wheel is clearly off a little (passenger wheel is looking fine).

Secondly I straighten the wheel:

Then the steering wheel does this:

From what I can see the tie rods and tie rod ends look perfectly straight.

So my question is will an alignment sort this or should I look at replacing parts so I don't waste an alignment?

Here's underneath btw:

Carolyn

That's quite a long way off.  I'd be tempted to move the steering wheel a spline or two, to get it closer and then get the tracking done.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

MrChris

Quote from: Carolyn on May 27, 2023, 16:22That's quite a long way off.  I'd be tempted to move the steering wheel a spline or two, to get it closer and then get the tracking done.

Thing is if I did that then the other wheel is out by quite a way making me think there could be an bend in the tie rod or rod end, albeit an imperceptible one.

Carolyn

You had it all in bits with new a-arms - it's bound to be out. What do the wheels look like with the steering wheel centred?

MrChris

These are the wheels with steering wheel dead centre:

Driver's side:

Tricky to see but it is out, here's another angle:

Passenger:

Carolyn

That's not so bad at all.  I'd expect that to adjust out.

MrChris

Quote from: Carolyn on May 27, 2023, 16:53That's not so bad at all.  I'd expect that to adjust out.

Okay thanks, I shall clean it up, get the proper wheel back on and go for an alignment. Thank you very much!

Carolyn

Make sure you've got the track rod ends cracked loose and re-tightened, so the alignment centre won't have problems freeing them up.

Call the midlife!

When I replaced my arms I never touched the track rods and it was still out when I drove it, got to the top of the street and the steering wheel was turning left while I drove straight ahead at the junction.
It tracked out easy enough.
60% of the time it works everytime...

MrChris

Quote from: Carolyn on May 27, 2023, 17:03Make sure you've got the track rod ends cracked loose and re-tightened, so the alignment centre won't have problems freeing them up.

Good call, though I would expect them to be reasonably free as I've had the car aligned twice already in the last year or so. However, looking at the fronts you wouldn't have thought it.

MrChris

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 27, 2023, 17:31When I replaced my arms I never touched the track rods and it was still out when I drove it, got to the top of the street and the steering wheel was turning left while I drove straight ahead at the junction.
It tracked out easy enough.

Thanks that's good to hear. Given I smashed the front wheel/side of the car into a wall I was worried there might be more damage hidden away.

MrChris

One of the things that confuses me with all of this is what actually causes the alignment to go out? The track rod ends get stuck and often need unseizing so is something going on with the steering rack?

Carolyn

Quote from: MrChris on May 27, 2023, 17:38One of the things that confuses me with all of this is what actually causes the alignment to go out? The track rod ends get stuck and often need unseizing so is something going on with the steering rack?

You've put in new a-arms, which have new bushes and which are probably centred a bit differently on the bolts, as they will be much more rigid than the old ones. So the uprights are a slightly different distance from the steering rack.

MrChris

Quote from: Carolyn on May 27, 2023, 17:42You've put in new a-arms, which have new bushes and which are probably centred a bit differently on the bolts, as they will be much more rigid than the old ones. So the uprights are a slightly different distance from the steering rack.

Makes sense thank you

MrChris

Wrote some stuff about tyres... I'm just getting new tyres ;D

Joesson

The reader maybe aware that I have this Spring completed the renovation of the A arms on my 2.
This included replacement SuperPro bushes and Moog ball joints.
I did anticipate that a realignment would be needed, but on my permitted drive to the MOT test centre for a pre booked test a "hands  off test" was successful.
Test passed and a subsequent run out everything feels OK and no  immediate signs of tyre scrub.
The tyres are old but they have lived most of their life in the dark and off the ground and show no visible signs of ageing.
I plan to put some more careful miles on the tyres and then have them checked over by the MOT station/ garage owner who also owns the tyre depot in the next unit.

Tags: