The nearly an Elise Project

Started by Danny Scarbro, February 22, 2022, 14:47

JB21

Awesome work mate. Aintree Saturday 27th April if you fancy it. Bookings opened today. £160 session event.

They're very chilled on noise limits as well.

https://www.liverpoolmotorclub.com/track-day-information/

Danny Scarbro

Quote from: JB21 on March 24, 2024, 17:36Awesome work mate. Aintree Saturday 27th April if you fancy it. Bookings opened today. £160 session event.

They're very chilled on noise limits as well.

https://www.liverpoolmotorclub.com/track-day-information/

Thanks mate but I'd rather do a few more local days to start with then will probably head over to Oulton in the summer so will have to a sort a day with a few of us?

Dan

Danny Scarbro

Little update on the MRX.

Went for the MOT on Thursday and pleased to say passed with no issues, had a good look underneath on the ramps too and was pleased to say very little rust too. Had thought I may need to do some sills or something soon but thankfully not!

Was nice to drive the car again, felt quite sharp and exciting which is good! Have got the annoying k series leak from the rocker cover so ordered a new gasket and will pop that on.

Ordered and fitted some pull handles instead of the stock tubing, gives abit more space and personally think it looks better too!

Next I had been deliberating about a wing I had seen, its the SW motorsports one designed for the TT Cup racing series...I saw it and quite liked it, thought if its been designed for a TT they had a similar body shape/size so should be functional.

I bit the bullet and ordered one, test fitted it with the bumper off to help work out where it would be best.

Then mounted up properly, I'm quite please with it, seems to fit well, blade looks to be at a good height to the roofline and width of the car and is just big enough without looking TOO big and silly.

The keen eyed of you will have also spotted I've put a more normal rear bumper on too, albeit scabby condition I picked it up cheap and wanted to see if without the cut at the bottom it looks better...got to say I prefer it so thanks to 'Superart' for mentioning it.

Have picked up a TRD style rear lip to go on the bottom too so will get that sprayed on fitted.

I had a go at wrapping the wings...is abit fiddly, bit of heat helped alot and a second pair of hands would be really useful. However am not going to call it a day on the wrapping idea, the issue is I'm sure a professional outfit could get a lovely neat finish on the edges and underside of the panel, but me in my garage not so much. I know what I am like and I wouldn't be happy with the finish and the underside of the panels been different colours etc

Have a different plan now which will pop in a few days when I know more!

Dan

Danny Scarbro

Next mini update...

So with the wrapping idea falling on its arse what was the next plan? Well one Thursday night I was scrolling Facebook market place and found what looked like a nice Black MR2 needing a few bits doing to it that was 3 miles down the road. Needless to say at 8am the next day I was looking round it and two days later it was back on my drive!

So the plan is to take all the black panels off (Have always liked the cars in Black), switch them onto mine, then I'll paint the hardtop, door shuts, engine bay etc to match. Then either keep the other shell as a spare or maybe for a future race car.

The new car;

Then starting to switch the panels over, I was really pleased at how clean from rust the car is!

How its sat now, Looking forward to having the rest of the panels on at the weekend, super excited about it as I have always not really liked the silver .

Many thanks

Dan

Tags: