My daily Sable

Started by Mr220Mike, April 30, 2023, 14:19

Mr220Mike

As I head towards a year of ownership and over 10,000 miles I'm still delighted with the car. Easily comfortable and useable enough to daily, which is good as I do. Even when we had the heavy snow the other month.

Upon checking the oil and water earlier I noticed that the auxiliary belt is split in the middle so need to get this sorted asap. Is this an engine out job or can it be done in situ?

Mr220Mike

Scrap that. Google is my friend. Should have tried that first. A very detailed guide on replacement on this very forum, I should have known  ;D

Joesson

Quote from: Mr220Mike on April 30, 2023, 14:28Scrap that. Google is my friend. Should have tried that first. A very detailed guide on replacement on this very forum, I should have known  ;D

May be on the How To, but I would  stress  make a sketch of the belt run and/ take photo/s. Make sure you order/ get the correct belt, two types available, with or without air con. Check length of new one with length of old for super security.
I did find another pair of hands necessary when I replaced mine, but @Carolyn has a useful work around if you have to fly solo.
I bought a Gates belt following comments on here. NB My Main Ford dealer recommended a Gates belt rather than Ford OE when replacing the cam belt on my daily.

Mr220Mike

Thanks. To be honest I'll be getting it done at a garage. I don't have the time or skill to be taking it on. Have a couple of decent local ones nearby so hopefully I should be able to get it done during the week

Mr220Mike

Booked in for auxiliary belt change plus oil and filter as it's been 6k since last done. £148 all in which I thought was ok really.

Mr220Mike

Just got the car back from the garage and they have done a great job at a what I think is a decent price. I have to say, they are a proper garage that are used to working on older cars. They had a Willy's Jeep, VW camper and a mini shell being restored in plus a mint old Fiat. Not sure on the model. I will use them again in future.

Mr220Mike

Just over a year on and it was time for the second MOT in my ownership. Sadly it failed first time on pads and a D bush in track rod end now all sorted and ready for another year of fun.

Mr220Mike

15,000 miles in to ownership now and I thought it might be a good idea to list what I've done in that time and also what I've got planned for the future.

Jobs done to date:

Swansea roof
New tyres all round
New discs and pads on the front
X2 services
Bush replacement in track rod end
Full check underneath and clean up where required, thankfully it's really good underneath.

So jobs for the future:

New NSR wing - mine has a little corrosion and also quite a few scratches and little dings so if I can get a decent one used I will. Don't seem to have them new anymore, however, my brother is a painter in a body shop so will see if they can get any.

New wheels - currently running on MX5 Sport wheels which came with the car and actually look decent but I'd like to go back to original ideally

Polish the headlights before winter

Might look at some slightly lower springs when the suspension needs a refresh.

I'd like some more power, I know that isn't the purpose of the car and it's all about handling but it could obviously manage more power. I'm not bothered about the 2zz really. Read a few turbo threads on here but there don't seem to be many around, do they all blow up? Then there is obviously the Audi 1.8 20v turbo swap that is around at the moment. Not sure how I feel about that though.

That's us all up to date. Still love the car and whenever I'm just out with one of the children the request is always to take daddy's car with the roof down.

southeastblue

Any pics? Would like more power for mine too eventually, I'm not really sure what the cheapest/most cost affective route is, but at least there is a few options.

Mr220Mike

Sadly not no. I haven't taken many recently. I'm on leave next week so hoping to get some early morning blasts through the Peak District in before everyone else is up. I'll take some then and post up.

Yes, it's difficult to know what to do for the best isn't it power wise. I'm slightly constrained by the fact that I wouldn't be able to DIY it either.

Bossworld

Quote from: Mr220Mike on August 23, 2023, 18:3715,000 miles in to ownership now and I thought it might be a good idea to list what I've done in that time and also what I've got planned for the future.

Jobs done to date:

Swansea roof
New tyres all round
New discs and pads on the front
X2 services
Bush replacement in track rod end
Full check underneath and clean up where required, thankfully it's really good underneath.

So jobs for the future:

New NSR wing - mine has a little corrosion and also quite a few scratches and little dings so if I can get a decent one used I will. Don't seem to have them new anymore, however, my brother is a painter in a body shop so will see if they can get any.

New wheels - currently running on MX5 Sport wheels which came with the car and actually look decent but I'd like to go back to original ideally

Polish the headlights before winter

Might look at some slightly lower springs when the suspension needs a refresh.

I'd like some more power, I know that isn't the purpose of the car and it's all about handling but it could obviously manage more power. I'm not bothered about the 2zz really. Read a few turbo threads on here but there don't seem to be many around, do they all blow up? Then there is obviously the Audi 1.8 20v turbo swap that is around at the moment. Not sure how I feel about that though.

That's us all up to date. Still love the car and whenever I'm just out with one of the children the request is always to take daddy's car with the roof down.

Mum's always chuffed to hear it's still running well and you're enjoying it  ;D

Mr220Mike

Finally got some dry weather so I could clean out the drain holes in the car. They were absolutely filthy and couldn't manage to dispose of what storm Henk threw at it but now we are all nice and dry again.

Closing in on 100k miles now, the last 20k of which have been done by me and it continues to be faultless. It needed a new rear caliper and new bulbs a couple of months ago but apart from that it is spot on. Still loving this car and really can't think of anything that I would want to replace it with.

Mr220Mike

A mile stone was reached today or should that be a 100,000 miles stone. My passenger thought it strange I wanted a picture but hey ho.

So that's 20k in 18 months pretty much. Still can't really think of anything that I would replace it with. Excuse the dust, she needs a good clean inside and out.

Joesson

@Mr220Mike
Not much time for cleaning when your knocking up the miles like that!
Is this an indicator of how tough these cars are? Surely they were only intended for occasional/ leisure use, not 14k pa!

Mr220Mike

I think it is. You don't see many other 21 year old cars on the road full stop, let alone one doing the mileage I'm doing. I think it is a reflection on how it has been looked after throughout it's life.

My only concern regarding the mileage I do is that I'm only too aware that it's going to take its toll at some point.

Chilli Girl

No it won't, it's a Toyota ;) a well maintained one at that ;D Well done.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Mr220Mike

Thanks Chilli and a very good point you make. The miles will continue to pile on and I'll keep all updated on here.

Joesson

Quote from: Mr220Mike on January 18, 2024, 18:55I think it is. You don't see many other 21 year old cars on the road full stop, let alone one doing the mileage I'm doing. I think it is a reflection on how it has been looked after throughout it's life.

My only concern regarding the mileage I do is that I'm only too aware that it's going to take its toll at some point.

There was a Member on here that had his 2 from new and had exceeded 200k miles in it. He had changed the oil ( maybe also the filter) at 5k mile intervals for the early part of it's life.
I have referenced this high mileage Member previously but have unfortunately lost my note as to his name.
So @Mr220Mike will hopefully have a good few miles more to enjoy.

Mr220Mike

@Joesson that sounds like a challenge  ;D

Joesson

Quote from: Mr220Mike on January 18, 2024, 20:14@Joesson that sounds like a challenge  ;D

Not so much a challenge as an aspiration.

Petrus

Quote from: Mr220Mike on January 18, 2024, 18:55I think it is. You don't see many other 21 year old cars on the road full stop,

over here them´s a common sight. My daily is ´99. My son´s is an ´84. The owner of the local garage I use drives an R6 as daily. When coming back from a cup of coffee sat behind a seventies Range Rover. There are at least three in the village. The Series LandRover (by Santana) are still common although getting thinner on the ground because in daily use in the olives.
So kuddos to you; keep the metal worm at bay and enjoy the cheerful cabrio!!

Mr220Mike

You are massively aided by the climate. I love going abroad and seeing old cars that you don't see here anymore.

I was thinking today on my way to work, when my car was new a 21 year old car would have been from 1982. I can't think of a direct example to an MR2 from then, maybe an MGB, spitfire?? Both would have rusted by 1989 though. Always fancied a spitfire though or a GT6.

Petrus

Quote from: Mr220Mike on January 19, 2024, 21:06I was thinking today on my way to work, when my car was new a 21 year old car would have been from 1982.  Can't think of a direct example to an MR2 from then,

Think something from the Continent. France produced some proper gems. And then there is the Alfa Spider. Were both a TR6 and a Spider here on the classic event in December with the latter só much more refined and elegant. In mý opinion of course  ;)
That Spider is from the brother of my neighbor and used just about every week bar rain. Indeed a massive aid those 300 sunny days/year. There were also a pristine Fiat 850 Spider ánd a Coupé. Go figure!
You could also think Triumph Spitfire. I had a 1500 and lóved it. Apart from the elegant lines, mainly because of the simplicity to work on it as it was quite agricultural though.
Anyway; pay proper attention to rust protection so you can enjoy your lovely cabrio max long. As the l´Oréal blurp goed; because she´s worth it  ;) 

Mr220Mike

How on earth did I forget about the Alfa Spider and Fiat 124. It's been a long week. Great shouts both of them.

Craigjm

Quote from: Mr220Mike on January 19, 2024, 21:06You are massively aided by the climate. I love going abroad and seeing old cars that you don't see here anymore.

I was thinking today on my way to work, when my car was new a 21 year old car would have been from 1982. I can't think of a direct example to an MR2 from then, maybe an MGB, spitfire?? Both would have rusted by 1989 though. Always fancied a spitfire though or a GT6.

MGB and spitfire both out of production in 1982. You could get -

Alfa spider
Fiat x1/9

MX5 and Lotus Elan have to wait until 1989. schimiter SS1 wasn't around until 1984, shame they never built the Stevens Cipher. TVR Tasmin anyone?

Tags: