MR2 K20a2 - Because Race Car.

Started by lukeydoo, June 14, 2023, 08:15

lukeydoo

Specifications:

Low mileage, mint MR-S shell, all minor rust removed underneath, epoxied, Raptored and 2k painted.
Tig-welded CDS light-weight rollcage tied into the rear strut towers @ Retro Resus.
YellowSpeed coilovers.
Facelift MR2 rear alloys and prefacelift rear alloys on the front.
ABS removed and replaced with a bias valve.
Power steering removed and rack rebuilt to be manual.
Lightweight front and rear crashbars.
Internal door bars removed and fixed-glass windows.
Lightweight hardtop.
K20a2 engine with new clutch and timing chain kit @ 97k mileage.
All suspension components blasted, epoxied and Raptored with adjustable rear arms.
Custom 4-1 race manifold with 3 inch pipe collector and pipe work (decatted).
Custom wiring by Andy Ball.
MAP shifter and engine mounts with poly-filled EP3 mount to prevent twisting of the subframe.
Polycarbonate rear screen.
Rebuilt calipers with YellowStuff pads.
Lightweight race heater plumbed in to demist the screen.

Currently: First drive of my K20 MR2 after Andy Ball finished off the wiring, brakes and general check over of my handiwork.

A long time ago, in a farmyard not so far, far away...

Then, stripping it down began.

Followed by a tig-welded cage that meets the rear struts.

Engine out.

Full underbody strip and paint - epoxy, raptor, 2k hardtop then final raptor.

Suspension refresh. Everything blasted, epoxied, raptured and rebushed with polybushes.

Removal of the power steering and making the rack manual.

Repainting interior and arches.

Brake calipers blasted, fully rebuilt and painted.

New clutch for the K20 plus a new timing chain kit. Taken from my own EP3 97k miles.

Building a custom race manifold with 4-1 design and into 3 inch pipe work. Plus, learning to tig weld!

Getting the custom driveshafts made - beyond my own skills!

Rebuilding and just plain building! Lightening the hardtop and bolting to the cage. Battery relocation. Remove ABS and plumb in a bias valve. Beginning the wiring with a MAP harness to get it running. Making the rest of the exhaust. Exhaustively painting everything.

Alex Knight

This is mega. Great work.

Andy Ball is a good mate of mine and a phenomenal mechanic.

Joesson

So that was yesterday, what's on for today?

Good job, well done.

puma2

:) some work done there :)
could even be a work of art  8)  8)

Because race car you can 8)

Topdownman

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

s12vea

TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

lukeydoo

Thanks  ;D  I had two children in between the start and the finish, so don't be deceived ! It may be gracing the for sale section in the future  8)

SuperArt

Nearly all engine converted MR2 I've seen look like the owner had run out of cash or passion by the halfway mark.
Something always looks out of place or unfinished.
The worst offender was the Volvota T5 mr2. Had one of the most offensive looking engine bays IMO, rusty and exposed wires criss crossing everywhere.

So far looks like a proper job being done here, hopefully get a bit tidier further along in the project.
Always love a k20.
Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

lukeydoo

Quote from: SuperArt on June 16, 2023, 14:50Nearly all engine converted MR2 I've seen look like the owner had run out of cash or passion by the halfway mark.
Something always looks out of place or unfinished.
The worst offender was the Volvota T5 mr2. Had one of the most offensive looking engine bays IMO, rusty and exposed wires criss crossing everywhere.

So far looks like a proper job being done here, hopefully get a bit tidier further along in the project.
Always love a k20.

Too true! I'm doing all the small jobs now - making sure the windscreen wipers stop at the bottom not the top etc. I'm very finicky, so everything takes me ages as I want to do it the right way the first time.

Tags: