2005 Sable Grey project

Started by southeastblue, August 9, 2023, 16:07

southeastblue

Well I had to use the 'new' perforated sh*t gasket (same as the one that broke) that came with the new Malian sports cat, but used RTV silicone all over it and it seems like it's not leaking. I was told graphite gaskets are good alternatives for flat mounting surfaces to custom make one, but as the fittings on the manifold and sports cat are flat there isn't anywhere for the crush rings to 'sit' so I don't think they would work.

Gaz mr-s

Numerous people do still use the crush rings. Some use gun-gum or such around the outsides to give a bit of support.

Don't throw your big numberplate away, your new one probably isn't legal, - your MOT tester might not like it.

Joesson

Quote from: southeastblue on October 18, 2023, 19:20Well I had to use the 'new' perforated sh*t gasket (same as the one that broke) that came with the new Malian sports cat, but used RTV silicone all over it and it seems like it's not leaking. I was told graphite gaskets are good alternatives for flat mounting surfaces to custom make one, but as the fittings on the manifold and sports cat are flat there isn't anywhere for the crush rings to 'sit' so I don't think they would work.

Iirc @Ardent had a problem with a Malian product and a crush ring gasket.

southeastblue

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on October 18, 2023, 19:39Numerous people do still use the crush rings. Some use gun-gum or such around the outsides to give a bit of support.

Don't throw your big numberplate away, your new one probably isn't legal, - your MOT tester might not like it.

It's okay for now but if it starts leaking again will try the crush rings.

I don't have a new plate yet, it was just a photoshop mock up for now, but yeah it would be illegal to run a small plate (it's technically illegal to run the JDM shape on a non JDM car too, but never pulled over on any of my cars for it). My MOT tester is somebody I know so I'm okay.  ;)

Alex Knight

I've ran a small plate for many, many years now.

Never had an issue (apart from a snide comment from a customs agent in Dover) with the police.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Alex Knight on October 19, 2023, 15:34I've ran a small plate for many, many years now.

Never had an issue (apart from a snide comment from a customs agent in Dover) with the police.

I've got illegal characters on mine too.  I was just letting the o/p know, if he didn't, of the potential.

southeastblue

Another photoshop edit, with future plans.

Always like to edit my car with what I plan to do, before I waste my money and regret it! lol

I think the sideskirts change the look a lot! Unsure on the yellow lights, but thought it might disguise the slightly faded lenses.

EDIT:

Made one also without the yellow headlights, plus black mirrors, and sunstrip.

southeastblue

Been a little while, and lost interest in the car over winter with it having little use.

With the weather starting to warm up a lately and the day getting longer, I got some Neox front shocks and bump stops from MR2BEN. I was suspecting the front right shock may be shot with the tyre rubbing the arch only on that side, but also got some camber bolts to give the front wheels a little more angle just in case.

After a faff around with swapping everything out (first time doing anything suspension related), all went well in the end. Car no longer rubs, and handles great even without an alignment (I put camber to max setting on the bolts).

Got an MOT due next month, and insurance runs out in May, so probably be looking to sell very soon (unless the wife lets me have 2 project cars).  ;D

southeastblue

Gave the car a good wash and spray wax, and 1st run out of the year with the hard top off and the soft top down.

MOT needed in the next couple of weeks, then going to put it up for sale to help fund a car with more doors and seats!

southeastblue

Fitted a new o2 sensor to fix the engine light, and MOT passed with no advisories. Decided to tint the front fogs as I had the tint wrap sitting in my shed since last summer.

Car now up for sale on FB, although no rush to sell.  ;D

Tags: