Red Edition new top.

Started by Tenbeech, October 14, 2023, 14:39

Tenbeech

Bit the bullet and had a new red top fitted to my MR2 by Top Job Roofs of Norwich,  not the cheapest but very good quality and installed by Milton, a very pleasant and knowledgeable person,highly recommended .

puma2

:) i do like a new roof :)  :)
i bet it was over £1000 is it a one man band or company  :)  :)   

Tenbeech

Its a one man band , and you're right , it was quite a bit north of £1000  , certainly a considered purchase, but Buy cheap, Buy twice.

Topdownman

Looks like a good job.

I put fabsil waterproofer on mine when new, not to waterproof it but to stop dirt sinking in and making it easier to keep clean. There are other types available but I havent tried them. Its easy to just paint on the fabsil with a paintbrush. It makes it look ever so slightly darker which looks good to my eyes.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

SuperArt

Quote from: Tenbeech on October 14, 2023, 15:24Its a one man band , and you're right , it was quite a bit north of £1000  , certainly a considered purchase, but Buy cheap, Buy twice.

These are dirt cheap cars. Most owners are not going to be spending on quality replacement parts so owners like you are far and few between.
If I were in the market right now, I'd for sure try to find an example owned by someone like you.

I've seen those Swansea roofs and always thought they look cheap, ill fitting/stitched and use not so pleasant fabrics.
This looks every bit worth >£1000.

Enjoy roof up motoring this autumn!

Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

Zxrob

Quote from: SuperArt on October 14, 2023, 19:59I've seen those Swansea roofs and always thought they look cheap, ill fitting/stitched and use not so pleasant fabrics.

I have a "Swansea roof" on my red edition, stitching is fine, doesn't look cheap at all.

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

Ardent

Quote from: SuperArt on October 14, 2023, 19:59These are dirt cheap cars. Most owners are not going to be spending on quality replacement parts so owners like you are far and few between.
If I were in the market right now, I'd for sure try to find an example owned by someone like you.

I've seen those Swansea roofs and always thought they look cheap, ill fitting/stitched and use not so pleasant fabrics.
This looks every bit worth >£1000.

Enjoy roof DOWN motoring this autumn!

Corrected that for you.  8)

Ardent

Quote from: Tenbeech on October 14, 2023, 14:39Bit the bullet and had a new red top fitted to my MR2 by Top Job Roofs of Norwich,  not the cheapest but very good quality and installed by Milton, a very pleasant and knowledgeable person,highly recommended .
That does look the mutts nuts.

SuperArt

Quote from: Zxrob on October 14, 2023, 20:53I have a "Swansea roof" on my red edition, stitching is fine, doesn't look cheap at all.

Rob

Just the ones I've seen, admittedly this is some years ago now.
It's highly likely things have changed since then either in workmanship or choice in materials but I remember not being convinced by the cheap roofs.

I feel the same about the re-upholstered interiors that show up now and then. Out of a sea of positive comments, I feel like I'm the only one thinking 'is the leather supposed to be saggy/ruched?'

I'm just picky. Very picky.
Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

Joesson

Quote from: SuperArt on October 15, 2023, 02:30Just the ones I've seen, admittedly this is some years ago now.
It's highly likely things have changed since then either in workmanship or choice in materials but I remember not being convinced by the cheap roofs.

From what I've read on here the Swansea guy is usually booked up for months ahead, so must have done many replacements and maybe popular for a reason other than price/ value.
PS
I am a fair weather , topdown driver .Only driven top up after being caught in the rain, such as returning from a Ding Day. Top up when parked / garaged only, so  likely the Swansea top would suit me, irrespective of any fine detail misgivings..

Bernie

Quote from: SuperArt on October 15, 2023, 02:30Just the ones I've seen, admittedly this is some years ago now.

I feel the same about the re-upholstered interiors that show up now and then. Out of a sea of positive comments, I feel like I'm the only one thinking 'is the leather supposed to be saggy/ruched?'

I'm just picky. Very picky.

Ditto and Ditto
I'm picky too, think I caught OCD from Rob when I got the car 😀
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Tags: