Single din depth & fitting kit

Started by ChrisB, June 5, 2024, 19:43

ChrisB

Hello all,

I am the proud new owner of a facelift MK3 and wanted to ask for some advice concerning replacing the original Toyota stereo with a single din Sony DAB radio with CD player which I already own. The car came with a spare Toyota stereo which is around 12cm deep at the top of the unit (see pic which shows my Sony sat on top of the old Toyota one). My single din Sony is a standard depth (around 16cm + the pulgs). Would my Sony be too deep? I haven't taken the original Toyota one out yet so can't see how much space there is behind it?

Also, I was thinking of buying the following fitting kit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262574013587

I've messaged the seller who tells me that the kit should fit the car and my stereo but I would need to have a cage and trim (which I have). I am guessing this kit doesn't come with side plate fittings. Do you think this kit would do the job and if so, would I be better using the Toyota brackets on the original radio (see pic) rather than a cage?

Thanks

Chris

Call the midlife!

Can't be 100% but I think mine had one like this in it, I can remember cutting the cylindrical bits off to repurpose it...
Can't add the link for some reason...
60% of the time it works everytime...

Alex Knight

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would fit a single DIN stereo to a car with space for a double DIN.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Alex Knight on June  5, 2024, 22:09I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would fit a single DIN stereo to a car with space for a double DIN.
To be fair, with modern solid state technology etc there's not much you can't fit in a single DIN in terms of performance and features. And you can get the handy little storage space underneath to loose stuff at the back of 👍🏻
Having said that, I removed the single DIN fitted in mine and replaced it with a double DIN with flashing lights and shizzle and more buttons than I ever needed...

ChrisB

Quote from: Alex Knight on June  5, 2024, 22:09I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would fit a single DIN stereo to a car with space for a double DIN.

I bought a decent Sony single din stereo about a year ago so it would seem silly to waste it and spend money I don't need too

ChrisB

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June  5, 2024, 20:57Can't be 100% but I think mine had one like this in it, I can remember cutting the cylindrical bits off to repurpose it...
Can't add the link for some reason...

Did you have any problems with the depth of the unit you fitted?

Call the midlife!

Quote from: ChrisB on June  6, 2024, 00:01Did you have any problems with the depth of the unit you fitted?
I went the other way, back to double but the single fitted perfectly well before I removed it.

ruud2boy

'Cos then you have a bit of space for other things?
I did exactly that just recently - had the old (inoperative) double DIN unit removed and replaced it w/ single and a little cubby underneath for my phone / keys / pens / trolley tokens - I know, very rock & roll.

ChrisB

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June  6, 2024, 06:35I went the other way, back to double but the single fitted perfectly well before I removed it.

Good to hear thanks

Dev

It should fit if it is a standard din.

The industry has gone back and forth on the size.
 It transitioned from single din to double din especially with newer cars.

Because of floating screens it has gone back to single din mounting. 

Some of the latest units have shortened the depth because they can eliminate a lot of bulk.

Tags: