Steering wheel wobble / Brake discs?

Started by MrChris, June 10, 2024, 09:33

MrChris

Hi all,

On my most recent track day my 2 developed some serious steering wheel wobble under braking. The car is straight as an arrow under normal driving and the brakes don't wobble when they're colder so am thinking that they're slightly warped and this is exacerbated when they get really hot due to expansion.

I think my discs are Eicher brand which are basically cheapo discs.

Can anyone recommend some discs that are less susceptible to warping? Is it worth paying the extra for something more "premium"?

JB21

I had exactly the same issue last Tuesday at Donington Park with new Blueprint front discs. Ive always used MTEC dimpled and grooved without issue, so I'll go back to these.

MrChris

Quote from: JB21 on June 10, 2024, 10:46I had exactly the same issue last Tuesday at Donington Park with new Blueprint front discs. Ive always used MTEC dimpled and grooved without issue, so I'll go back to these.

I've always been wary of dimpled/grooved/holed discs due to the potential for cracking. When is your next day? It'd be good to see how you get on?

EDIT: Just noticed you get the dimpled ones. Might give them a go myself...

The sort of wobble I was getting was awful towards the end, it felt like the steering wheel was going to come off. I feel like I need to rule out bushing issues etc. but I'm fairly certain the front end is good given other work I've done on it.

Alex Knight

Quote from: JB21 on June 10, 2024, 10:46I had exactly the same issue last Tuesday at Donington Park with new Blueprint front discs. Ive always used MTEC dimpled and grooved without issue, so I'll go back to these.

That's weird. I've used blueprint discs for 10 years on track with zero issues.

OP, if you want something REALLY decent, use Dixcel discs.

JB21

Quote from: Alex Knight on June 11, 2024, 08:27That's weird. I've used blueprint discs for 10 years on track with zero issues.

With what pads though? I coupled them to Project MU racing 999 which are mega aggressive, so maybe the OE discs cant take to additional heat of the racing pads. Or it could just be a manufacturing defect.

Iain

Also ran blueprint for ages now, never had an issue and gone through 3 sets of pads. Getting ready for changing now though but very much had my monies worth from them.

Alex Knight

Quote from: JB21 on June 11, 2024, 09:49With what pads though? I coupled them to Project MU racing 999 which are mega aggressive, so maybe the OE discs cant take to additional heat of the racing pads. Or it could just be a manufacturing defect.

Initially Bluestuff on the front and yellows on the rear. Then I literally melted the yellows (blues were fine), so I changed to Carbotech XP10 all round. Properly aggressive pad.

Motul RBF600 and goodridge lines.

JB21

Quote from: Alex Knight on June 11, 2024, 19:17Initially Bluestuff on the front and yellows on the rear. Then I literally melted the yellows (blues were fine), so I changed to Carbotech XP10 all round. Properly aggressive pad.

Motul RBF600 and goodridge lines.

I've used XP10 and compared to MU 999 they are very gentle. I just think its a manufacturing defect as the discs I used previously were blueprint coupled with Dixcel R01 race pads and they were fine.

Tags: