high power 2zz swap by jaworjawor

Started by jaworjawor, May 22, 2015, 20:26

shnazzle

Quote from: "Ardent"That is what appeals to me, single piece of steel vs many joints and welds in matts.
would be nice to have the two side by side.

The other question being rigid in which planes. With no mechanical engineering training what so ever.
i will put my £1 on the single piece option

a lot to be said for tubular steel. Think of rolling up a piece of paper, it can support a hell of a lot more weight than just the paper straight.
...neutiquam erro.

jaworjawor

guys, I deciced that I will first make some arbs in my local club, I have 4 guys interested so after 4 sets the process will be fully tried, perfected and tested, I wanted to make some here for them before going "worldwide". As for the breastplates, if you wish I can order breastaplates and send them right away in a week or so. So far 3 people were interested, I think I could even lower the price a little bit when ordering a bigger number and sending to one location so that would be for these guys to test and form an opinion. I personally felt the difference with bp on, I would compare it to driving with softtop up or down, similar difference with breastplate on.

Ardent

Truth in what you say. But in this case the tube is solid and no joints.

shnazzle

Quote from: "Ardent"Truth in what you say. But in this case the tube is solid and no joints.

Truth! But the joints will do but one thing...snap  s:) :) s:)   They won't flex. 2 years on, the brace is still intact.

Frankly I think both with do the same, but I think Matt's/TTE brace has breadth in its favour. A small Corky's breast plate has to hold the car stiff by controlling a small area, whereas the TTE can spread the load across its whole size.

Leverage basically. You can hold a cup straight by its handle with the tips of 3 fingers, but it's a lot easier to grab it with your hand.

DISCLAIMER: I also have NO engineering background so this is all just common sense, so I could be totally wrong  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

Given whst mr T put in. Almost anything would improve things

CrazySX

I thought the FL was ok, is the brace a big improvement on the FL as well then?

I would be up for the ARBs for sure, mine are all flakey and rotten.

Anonymous

Just as a note as corkys has been mentioned. He does two types one that is an x brace that incorporates the breast plate and just the breast plate on its own.

jaworjawor

a little update.

recently I replaced all pads to ebc yellows, replaced rear shocks (for stock facelift for now), replaced front bearing, front dust covers, did all the geometry -3 degree camber all around and set my antirollbars to the stiffest setting

With car fully prepped I attented to my first track driving and to be truth my first fast driving rwd  s:) :) s:)  I started at local rallysprint, it was old military airport so the surface was concrete and asphalt. I managed to come first in my class   s8) 8) s8)  1.6-2.0 liters and 5th in general, finishing in the middle of really fast 4wd turbo cars. I even managed to run 2 of my 4 runs faster than the overall winner who was driving 500bhp evo 9, I lost 5 seconds due to one barrel I barely touched    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   really really happy with the car and still I have to learn how to drive it better

my onboards (sorry for phone camera quality)
 m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gziuSu1rJds m
 m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3mqePfDXwQ m

two short clips
 m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgJ58Ae ... oQ&index=4 m
 m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65RQtwY ... freload=10 m

longer video of the rallysprint, Im in 1:45
 m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95nkKfw ... oQ&index=1 m

And today I decide to replace my wheels for lighter ones, oz superleggeras 15x7. They weight only 5kg a piece!

shnazzle

Brilliant! Love how you've set the negative camber. No farting about with bolts or arms... Just widen the hole! Haha
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

Great stuff and well done on the sprints, that is quite impressive.

So what's next for the car?

jaworjawor

Now Im on:
-fixed bucket seat
-rollbar
-removing softtop (cant find the brackets anywhere)
-maybe some nice light steering wheel
-later koni yellow

Also im thinking of reducing some weight, but I still drive the car on daily basis. Any ideas? Maybe carpet and sound deadening? Or custom fiber bonnet, engine cover and hardtop with lexan window hmm   s:D :D s:D

jaworjawor

today I did the geometry and it turned out that some of my rear wishbones bushings are shot   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  are there any polyurethane bushings for rear on the market? Especially I need the ones that sit inside rear axel carrier

shnazzle

I'm sure GT4-Play can sort you out but...I expect you to be able to make your own bushings by now!  s:D :D s:D  haha
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

Yes super pro make all the polybushs for the rear apart from the one on hub at the bottom.

Also a cheeky nudge on antiroll bars   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

jonty

Removing soft top will probably save the most weight of all the things you can do. I think on spyderchat there is a list of weight reduction items, but from memory the battery and exhaust are the easiest wins, everything else starts getting reasonably expensive if you want to keep it as a daily driver.

jaworjawor

I have already made cad project of all rear bushings and search for company to fabricate them. I have 3 offers now, neither is cheaper than full rear set of superpro bushes with shipping form Australia   s:D :D s:D   also i'm waiting for package, I bought ripped softtop for cheap so soon some weight reduction

jaworjawor

tomorrow next round supersprint, so small update

Mounted spacers for wheels, rear 15mm, front 5mm

I decided to seoften a little bit rear arb to get more traction shooting out of corner on loose ground.

Smartphone mounting kit

gemoetry and rear suspension check

As I said before, rear bushings are shot, I will propably buy full superpro set

Some nice cleaning before winter

A little weight reduction. Still waiting for ripped softtop to come to ditch my softtop

I replaced oz wheel covers for carbon ones

shnazzle

I'm going to have to copy that smartphone holder idea. Very clever to screw it down under the heater panel
...neutiquam erro.

jaworjawor

I managed to win in my category (1.6-2.0l n/a) and finished 8th in general (56 cars). My two first runs were so bad, I was considering going home  s:D :D s:D  but next 2 were much better.

Onboards:
First run, the worst. I lost my note on second corner so I didnt know which way to start some of the slaloms and chicanes.

m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkallPA29PA m

The second was bad too, first the car didnt stop on time (i think abs went crazy after so much bumps), the second mistakes was to muuch throttle on corner exit and some spins  s:) :) s:)

m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ9tUME4PW4 m

Third was relaxed and steady

m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_unrDaTCgNA m

Fourth the fastest, in 400bhp evos teritory

m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNrdDspyYrI m

Two conclusions after all - never give up, competitors make mistakes too. Second - I need to practice more  s:) :) s:)

shnazzle

This car is the one and only reason I still consider 2zz. However, I dread to think what it would cost to have the same work done on the engine etc that you have.  s:( :( s:(
...neutiquam erro.

Jrichards20

Did the front have much damage after plowing into the tyres? Surprised to see such a big lock up to be honest.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

jaworjawor

suprisingly not much really, look closely in this photo, that's it

the speed at that corner was very high, it was my mistake I forgot which side to attack the chicane, then I messed up everything  s:D :D s:D

jonty

It looks like you have had a great event, keep posting your progress!

jaworjawor

recently I repaired tyre puncture, checked fire extinguisher (lsd is not mine, I have one already) and replaced power steering fluid. The fluid is not easy to find it needs to be eh type, I found ansoil fluid which is suitable for toyota ehps. 1 l is enough tu flush the system

jaworjawor

I decided to ditch my softtop. To do so I bought ripped softtop assembly, cut out the brackets with angle grinder, enlighted them a little bit

brackets, one after cutting out unnecessary parts. The bar was smoothed out, it will be my harness bar once I mount bucket seats

few hours later the softtop was out. I cleaned everything and packed my healthy sofftop to storage for better weather

complete sofftop assambly with everything related to it weighs 28,2 kg. The bar and side brackets weight 4,4kg, which gives weight reduction of 25kg, not bad. for reference complete hardtop weighs 22,6kg, so less than softtop and it is muuch much stiffer and safer. I removed some gaskets and seals from the ripped softtop I bought and thrown away what was left of it

I also emptied my catch can, this is what was in it   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

In the end I fabricated some heat shield for my intake, now engine breaths only cold air from side scoop

Tags: