Smashed my car...

Started by so.simple, February 19, 2006, 20:15

Jap GT300

I've got the pictures.  The car has taken a hard hit.  Both chassis legs appear straight and I doubt they have creased the bulk head (which is what often happens).  You will need two flitch panels (inner wing strut supports) and a complete front panel which is sold pre made from Toyota.

The car will obviously have to go on a jig to check it's straight and maybe have a little tug.

I have repaired much worse than this and the costs shouldn't be that high, although I wouldn't be surprised if it is written off due to the labour charges.

The front bumper bar needs replacing and I imagine that the rear does too, this may have also just kinked the end of the legs.  The rear frame is very workable and it should easily come straight without new parts.

I would have thought you'll need some suspension parts replacing as well.

Wait to see what the insurers say and we'll take it from there, but i do have everything available.

Anonymous

Quote from: "proeliator2001"Sorry to hear about the accident.  To put a positive spin on it, now you've had an accident (and one which didn't cause YOU much damage) the odds are really low for a more serious repeat for at least several years, statistically speaking   s:D :D s:D  

Even the best drivers in the world have trouble catching un-planned slides so don't beat yourself up over it - be thankful neither you or anyone else was hurt badly.

I hope your right about that statistic as I had a run in with a bag of plaster on a corner (a lorry had decided to drop it off in the road) three weeks ago and ended up sat on top of some two foot bushes.

Cars repaired now lucky for me mostly cosmetic but pretty scary nice to know that the chances of it happening again is slim.

Sorry to hear about your accident Carlos.   s:D :D s:D

so.simple

Those are good news, Adam.   s:D :D s:D  If the insurers try to write it off, I'll negotiate a reimbursment value with them and manage the repair myself. I'll have the chassis and suspension work done by toyota and do the rest myself together with some expert friends.   s:D :D s:D  

I feel much better after reading your post.   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
Carlos

so.simple

...and I'm depressed again...

Just heard that the insurer is going to declare it a write-off. Apparently the bulkhead creased. The repair cost would ascend to a bit more than €20.000,00 (+/- £13,700.00)

Even if the price was lower, I was advised not to repair it, since it would be impossible to make it perfect again.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Carlos

heathstimpson

Quote from: "so.simple"...and I'm depressed again...

Just heard that the insurer is going to declare it a write-off. Apparently the bulkhead creased. The repair cost would ascend to a bit more than €20.000,00 (+/- £13,700.00)

Even if the price was lower, I was advised not to repair it, since it would be impossible to make it perfect again.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Sorry to hear that Carlos. You better start remving all those mods for your new one  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

so.simple

I'm not sure if I'm buying another one.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I'm thinking about something like a mr2 turbo

or an S14:

Carlos

so.simple

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Carlos

kanujunkie

oh mate  s:( :( s:(  really sorry to hear that, surely you can get another one, would hate to see you dissapear from round here
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Ernie Ball

Really sorry to hear that, Carlos.  Hope you'll think about getting another '2.  Or if not, something that you enjoy just as much.

so.simple

Quote from: "kanujunkie"oh mate  s:( :( s:(  really sorry to hear that, surely you can get another one, would hate to see you dissapear from round here
Quote from: "Ernie Ball"Really sorry to hear that, Carlos.  Hope you'll think about getting another '2.  Or if not, something that you enjoy just as much.
I could try to get another one, but it would be like replacing a late friend. It just cannot be replaced. I'm just "thinking" with my heart here. I'll probably buy that Turbo SW20 that can be seen a couple of posts above.

It doesn't matter which car I have. I won't leave this club, ever.
Carlos

Anonymous

Sorry about your accident. Those metal sections can be treacherous.   I'll bet it was oily.

so.simple

Thanks Kevin. I'm sure it was oily too, cause a bike crasehd on the exact same spot 2 minutes later.
Carlos

Tem

Outch! Just read this...sorry about your car  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Get the Mk2 turbo, it's a great car with tons of power available and it still outhandles just about anything on the road.  s8) 8) s8)  The S14 feels a bit heavy, might not like it after a '2. Test drive both though, if you get the chance, but I'd get the Mk2.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I'm really sorry about your car! :'(
I hope you will have a new one soon!

philster_d

make sure its a newer rev as possible my rev 4 tubby had such luxuries as ABS believe me in a car so quick stopping can be useful. And no AFM to mess around with and other things.

also a good way to be confirming the age is to read seat belt labes they have a date on them when they were made, just before fitting, usualy. These are located near the floor on the belts.

GL
Philster.

so.simple

On the other hand, I can stop thinking that it is stupid to buy a 1991 car when I can buy a 2000 car. I'm receiving €14.472,00 from the insurance company.

What do you guys think?

MR2 ZZW30:

€17.077,50 - 10/2001
€12.949,00 + €4.128,50 (car tax)

------------------------------------------------------

€15.976,63 - 06/2000
€12.500,00 + €3.476,63 (car tax)

€14.976,63 - 05/2000
€11.500,00 + €3.476,63 (car tax)

RX7 FD Biturbo:

€18.838,00 - 09/1992
€15.900,00 + €2.938,06 (car tax)

€18.738,00 - 06/1992
€15.800,00 + €2.938,06 (car tax)

€19.438,00 - 06/1992
€16.500,00 + €2.938,06 (car tax)

MR2 Turbo SW20:

€10.318,24 - 03/1992
€8.500,00 + €1.818,24 (car tax)

€14.318,24 - 10/1991
€12.500,00 + €1.818,24 (car tax)

€11.798,24 - 05/1991
€9.980,00 + €1.818,24 (car tax)

€5.818,24 - 01/1992
€4.000,00 + €1.818,24 (car tax)

200SX S14:

€10.081,93 - 09/1998
€6.900,00 + €3.181,93 (car tax)

€12.981,93 - 04/1998
€9.800,00 + €3.181,93 (car tax)

€14.681,93 - 06/1998
€11.500,00 + €3.181,93 (car tax)

Help me.
Carlos

Tem

Quote from: "so.simple"What do you guys think?

Personally, I'd get another Mk3. You already know that car, so no need to comment on it. You know you like it. You know you want it. You know you can make it better than your previous one.  s8) 8) s8)

2nd choice would be Mk2 turbo. You can get some serious power from it for the price difference to Mk3 and it still handles great, even if it's a bit on the big side.

S14...nice, if you're not used to the handling of MR2.

Miata, are you gay or a hairdresser?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

(no real info about the rest, so I'll just skip them)

so.simple

Which car would you choose from that list?
Carlos

roger

Got to be the Mark3.

Split it down further, Carlos, on your own likes / dislikes:

Small / Big
Hardtop / Soft-top
Sports / Saloon(ish).

If the answer is small, softtop sports your only choices are MX5, MR2. Its a no brainer.

If the answer is something different....well...........
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

so.simple

My heart and my head just aren't willing to have a chat with me today. I'll have to think it out a bit.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Carlos

philster_d

seriously beware early MK2's they had worse suspension worse this and that.

they seem cheap but they are a recipie for disaster, so many people end up in a ditch. I had a rev 3 NA and anyone from the Ace Cafe meet can tell you about my nasty 4 weel lockup I was a passenger in the driving seat. 91 def no!

95-96 is better I sold mine for around £6k and it was good condition and slightly modified.

so.simple

Ok, that's good to know. I can't find any LHD MR2 Turbos from 95 on.
Carlos

aaronjb

I'd be very tempted by the RX7 FD, but repair bills will probably cripple you (not renowned for their reliability, really)..

But they do look gorgeous.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

so.simple

Ok. So let's forget the RX-7.
Carlos

Tem

Quote from: "so.simple"Which car would you choose from that list?

The cheapest Mk3 MR2.

I'd get a 2000 or 2003, depends how much you value the facelift. Also not sure how things are over there, but over here 2001&2 are more expensive than 2000, without no realy value added. They cost more, yearly charges are more and insurance is more.  s:? :? s:?

Same goes for 2004&5, unless you value the warranty.  s8) 8) s8)

Tags: