Smashed my car...

Started by so.simple, February 19, 2006, 20:15

Anonymous

Quote from: "so.simple"Ok. So let's forget the RX-7.
If the car is 100% original, I would reconsider.  The RX-7 is indeed thirsty and expensive to maintain but it's a high performance car.  It's not too dissimilar to dismissing a classic 911 because it's also expensive to run and maintain properly.

Long time ago I drove a (left hand-drive) RX7 and I was amazed by the handling and performance.  I haven't driven a MKII MR2 but I would be very surprised if it is anywhere near as good (although I do reserve judgement).

philster_d

The rotor tips on a RX7 (Wenkle engine) wear out periodicaly and can be a costly repair/rebuild.

Plus I also heard from a friend, who went over to the dark side, that another downer was the need to tow a small oil tanker with him everywhere he went.

Phil

karlus972

Hi Carlos!
Sorry about your accident and the loss of your MR2!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  
There are some good deals on 2 in Germany, and if you need help to go check one, let me know mate!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I'd go for either another MR2, you know the car already and it's quite an addictive car, or the RX7........ it's quite an amazing sport car, but can be costly to maintain.....

good luck!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Madinina Style!!

aaronjb

Quote from: "philster_d"The rotor tips on a RX7 (Wenkle engine) wear out periodicaly and can be a costly repair/rebuild.

Yep - budget for a rebuild every 65,000miles or so is what seems to be the norm - rebuild being around the £2-2,500 mark..

And single digit fuel economy (mpg, not l/100km  s;) ;) s;) ) is very very easy to achieve..

Having said that, cracking cars, and I was sorely tempted by one when I was trying to decide on the 300ZX, RX-7 or Mk2 MR2..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

so.simple

I think I'm going to buy this one:

Gallery

I've asked him to lower the price a bit and if he does so I'll buy it. I'll also get something a bit more "sensible" for the daily commute, like a Smart Fortwo CDI.

Topic-drift: I'm really going through a bad phase. My car has been written-off and my grandfather passed away this friday... I had two funerals this saturday: my grandfather's in the morning and my '2 in the afternoon. I went to the park where it is waiting for the insurer to pick it up and "demodded" it. I cried when I had to walk away. I feel like I've lost a good friend.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Carlos

philster_d

Oh Carlos

I feel for you my friend. I hope things will look up soon.

Sincerely,
/Phil

kanujunkie

Quote from: "so.simple"Topic-drift: I'm really going through a bad phase. My car has been written-off and my father passed away this friday... I had two funerals this saturday: my grandfather's in the morning and my '2 in the afternoon. I went to the park where it is waiting for the insurer to pick it up and "demodded" it. I cried when I had to walk away. I feel like I've lost a good friend.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Oh dear God!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  my heart felt condolenses to you Carlos, if there is anything we can do for you, then just call, all the best mate, we'll be thinking of you.

God bless
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

To echo what Phil said - really sorry to hear that Carlos  s:( :( s:(

Hope things brighten soon.

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

so.simple

Thanks guys. You're the best. Fortunately, I have good friends and a girlfriend doing their best to lift me up. It's just a metter of days until I "distile" all these feelings and start feeling better again.

Just a quick note. It was my grandfather that passed away. Not my father. I corrected it, but wasn't fast enough.

Can you comment this?  

Quote from: "philster_d"seriously beware early MK2's they had worse suspension worse this and that.

they seem cheap but they are a recipie for disaster, so many people end up in a ditch. I had a rev 3 NA and anyone from the Ace Cafe meet can tell you about my nasty 4 weel lockup I was a passenger in the driving seat. 91 def no!

95-96 is better I sold mine for around £6k and it was good condition and slightly modified.

This is what the guy selling the black MR2-Turbo said:

QuoteHi Carlos,

I saw on the mr2roc board that you are having doubts about buying a car from 1991, let me help you  :-) :-) :-)

What they say about the tricky suspension is true, the stock droplinks are complete rubbish, I have replaced them earlier with the stock ones and a year later they where nackered once again. So I replaced them with the ones from a later model and a set from  w www.twosrus.co.uk w  which are fab.
Also the stock shocks and springs have been replaced with Koni shocks (lifetime warranty) and Eibach pro springs.

As for the rest, the shabby rear strutbar has been replaced with a newer model cross, which improves handling alot.
I mentioned before that the engine and gearbox have been replaced with a 1994 (last series of gen2 engines) one, with this swap a LSD was added for better handling and cornering.

An original 1995+ lhd turbo isn't possible, Toyota stopped the MR2 Turbo in America after 1994 and they where the only country outside Japan who got the turbo.

I just want to say that my car is good for atleast another 10 years with good care, comparing a mr2 turbo with a normal mr2 (or spider) isn't possible, the handling, power and sound is amazing.

What do you think?
Carlos

philster_d

And there is nothing wrong with a nice Mk2 Tubby for the daily commute.

Guaranteed to arrive with a smile on your face!

I think thats the linking factor when you try to understand the MR2 family, Mk1, Mk2, Mk3 at first its not obvious. Its a fun car to drive.

Phil

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Really sorry to hear your bad news matey; but as I've said to many before the main thing is that your all ok and in one piece. The 2 can soon be fixed up and it opens doors as with fitting a kit etc; know what I mean   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
How right you are. The important is getting out of there in one piece. The rest is just metal compared to human life and can be fixed.

Quote from: "so.simple"Thanks for your support. I'm feeling very depressed. I can't stop thinking that I should have been able to "save" the car. I keep thinking about all the things that I could have done differently.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Of course you keep on thinking what you could have done differently. It's only natural.
Sorry to hear about your accident, but being in one as well about a year and half ago made me value the "little" things in life.

Cars can be replaced.

I wish you all the luck.

so.simple

Thanks.   s:) :) s:)
Carlos

so.simple

Update:

This was undoubtedly the car that I loved the most. In fact -I loved it so much that I couldn't buy another ZZW30. You just don't replace a good friend.

So, I opted to look for something different but keeping faithful to the MR layout and bought a Turbo T-Bar MR2.

Interior
Autovation MR2 pedals
Autovation MR2 shiftplate
Indiglo gauges
Calfskin geargaiter
Aluminium/leather shiftknob
A-pillar gaugepod
Invise-glow boost meter
Invise-glow olietemp
Pioneer speakers in doors
Pioneer 6x9" speakers in behind seats.

Engine:
Japanse gen2 engine swap with gearbox and LSD (stock 225pk)
Apexi airintake with heatshield
TwosRus downpipe
TwosRus manual boost controller
Standalone fuelpressure regulator
Spal intercooler fan
Silo blow off valve
HKS HiperMAX exhaust
HKS turbo timer
94 upgrade brakedisks
244 hp on rearwheels (dynoed)
334 nm torque on rear wheels (dynoed)
0-100: 5.14 seconds (timed with Apexi RSM with G-sensor)

Exterior:
Tom's frontbumper
Greddy sideskirts
Border rearbumper
98 spec spoiler
Custom PPG paintjob (with subtle gold flake)
94 spec rearlights
94 spec bumperlights
Custom lowrise headlights European-road-legal
Racing Sparco Viper R wheels 17x7.5 (215/40/17 Yokohama A521) front / 17x8.5 (245/40/17 Pirelli Pnero Zero) rear (wheels weigh about 6kg each, super light).

Suspension:
Koni Yellow shocks
Eibach pro springs (1" drop)
New better droplinks front
TwosRus droplinks rear
TwosRus polyurethane bushings

And this is it. Now I just have to get some divine protection for it and take good care of it..   s:D :D s:D  Comments are appreciated.
Carlos

Anonymous

Very clean looking car Carlos, I'm impressed.  s8) 8) s8)

Can't believe that pic of your old '2 though: That is a mess!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I hope that your new car doesn't mean you'll leave us on here though...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

so.simple

I'll be around. Even though I've never met any of you in person, I feel like I have good friends in here.   s:D :D s:D
Carlos

ninjinski

That car is beautiful mate - Very nice replacement for the MkIII - Best of luck with it - its a stunner!   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  Tres Cool!
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

spynish

Quote from: "so.simple"

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!  s:D :D s:D  
Like your new car man!  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

so.simple

Thanks guys.
Carlos

philster_d

hehe

so.simple

We're going in opposite directions.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Carlos

so.simple

Some more photos. Courtesy of the previous owner.   s:D :D s:D  

Carlos

aaronjb

Thought I'd seen you on IMOC  s;) ;) s;)

That's gorgeous, Carlos  s:) :) s:)

I really do love the Mk2 in black, I must admit, congrats on the purchase  s:) :) s:)

heathstimpson

Quote from: "aaronjb"Thought I'd seen you on IMOC  s;) ;) s;)

That's gorgeous, Carlos  s:) :) s:)

I really do love the Mk2 in black, I must admit, congrats on the purchase  s:) :) s:)
Yes must agree it looks very tidy indeedy  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

kanujunkie

me like mk2  s8) 8) s8)  

i really could get rid of the mk3 for one of those, kinda funny really
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: