Buying advice - Going Cold Turkey!

Started by Victor Kiam, February 20, 2006, 09:36

Victor Kiam

Hello Everyone

My name is Victor....& I'm an MR2holic.  I've been without an MR2 now for 7 days.

I sold my beloved Supercharger last week, feeling I needed to grow up a bit.  But now I realise that won't happen, I'm in the market for a roadster.

I am seeking advice about the different versions of the Roadster, as my budget just about straddles 2001 to 2003 models, I have seen the thread on specific changes (very useful) but wondered, is there really a noticeable difference in the driving/owning experience?

I've found a 2001 model in the exact spec I want (Black, Hard top, black leather,) but would I be better off waiting (and saving) for a 2003 model to come along?

One last thing, has anyone attempted the 2ZZ-GE engine transplant?

Grateful for any advice you can offer.

Many Thanks
I liked it so much, I bought the company!

philster_d

Yes there is a transplanted engined car around.

I love my 02 car with plenty of bracing and stuff, the newer model had more bracing as standard

and also a 6 speed gearbox. Although you would replace all that anyway I presume with the engine swap.

Phil

markiii

in simple terms if you wanted to add teh extra bracing to a pre 03 to bring it up to 03 standards budget up to £500

then they will be much on a par.

personally I'd stretch and get teh post 03 though

as for 2zz swap, I reccomend a search for JapGT300 as we did this swap on his a couple of years ago. The only one in the UK to my knowledge,

though loads have been done in the US.

When you've read all their is on 2zz swaps please discuss it further in one of those rather than adding another result to the search.

oh and welcome by the way   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Victor Kiam

Thanks for that, I'll find out more about the swap as it seems an interesting proposition, but it's just a pipe dream at the moment.  Need a car to play with 1st.

roger

Welcome from another Oxfordshire, not many of us around - well not on here, any way.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

I've now got an 03 roadster having previously had a 2000 model.

speaking from personal experience, my current car feels much more 'planted' and stable on the road than my previous roadster.

It feels less tail happy also, probably helped by the larger rear wheels.

I also think they look sleeker with the facelifted front and rear bumpers.

I would certainly get an 03 onwards car and the prices are so low at the moment that there are some great bargains out there.

Victor Kiam

Thank you everyone, I shall have fun shopping around and let you know what I end up with.

Hello Roger, hopefully bump into you some time. (not literally!)

heathstimpson

I was shocked to see a local garage with a 2004 for under 11k  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Victor Kiam

I GOT ONE!!!! (well, almost)

As there didn't seem to be much difference in the models that couldn't be changed with a few bits of bracing, I decided to go for a pre- 03 model, just because I prefer it's angry face, rather than the cuter smile of the newer ones and possibly leave me loads to spend on stuff for it.

Looked at some very clean 51 and 02's, but they wanted more than I thought they were worth, then I found this one, smiley face and all!!

05 with 3800 miles on it, Astral (must mean really thin) Black, Hard Top, Black leather originally advertised in Luton for, but I eventually tracked it down in Cardiff asking £15850.  They didn't budge much on the price and tried to load me with extras I don't need/can get cheaper & better elsewhere. (Which ruined the experience for me   Came away feeling quite dirty.)

Pick it up Tuesday. (Nice of me to help with month end figures.)

No money for mods now though.  I think I'll just enjoy it in it's pure form.  

(Maybe I can get enough money for a Power Resistor Of Justice!   m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8032712476 m )

Also my local dealer's sorted me out with a Hardtop stand for £40 and delivering it for free.  Goes to show, there's some good people in Dealer Land.  Just got to figure out how the lid goes on it now.

Trouble is I can't sleep now waiting for it to come!

darrenjuggins

HI Victor - did you budget for the Hard Top Cover ?

The stand is fine, but I wouldn't be happy storing my hard top in my garage without any protection from the elements and me bashing about ? just a consideration, although the Genuine one isn't cheap !

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

buy a motorbike cover, thats what i use

Victor Kiam

I agree I do need some sort of protection for the hard top; I'm renowned for my clumsiness.

Mr T said the cheapest he could do a cover for was £224, which is madness, (even) for a (really big!) bag.

I have seen them going on Ebay & there are other companies that do them, like Impacta, so I think I'll see if a genuine one comes up cheap or I'll take a leaf out of your book, Nelix, and get a bike cover.

A local company, Oxford Products, does bike covers.  They also do "soft" bike luggage, which I might check out for the rear lockers.

Anonymous

its the oxford cover ive got, came free with a bike mag! feel guilty as my triumph sprint rs sits in the garage coverless now when the hardtop isnt on.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tags: